ab training...am i an idiot or is this ok?

L

lemon

Awards
Alright...well, i know for the most part anything involving abs is all personal opinion and he said she said stuff, but i'll ask anyways

for the past 2 or so months i've been going hard with my abs. everyday about 5-6 times a week i do this at the end of all my workouts

100 sit ups ( full sit ups, not just a half cruch ) with my legs on a bench, and my back on the ground
50 alternating side to side knee sit ups /\ same as above just twist at the top
100 seconds of 6 inches
150 seconds of bridges
40 hanging leg raises
10 weighted hanging leg raises
2 sets of 15 decline itches with 10-12 side to sides on the way down
3, 5-10 second half way holds on a decline bench
3, 5-10 second full way holds on a decline bench ( just before back touches ) and on the last i go till failure
seated legs up and bent side to side rotations for 50
and to finish up 20 weighted crunches on the ab machine

i know it's alot, but i do them everyday, and it gets easier and easier every day...so it is ok? or good to do? :think:

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Alright...well, i know for the most part anything involving abs is all personal opinion and he said she said stuff, but i'll ask anyways

for the past 2 or so months i've been going hard with my abs. everyday about 5-6 times a week i do this at the end of all my workouts

100 sit ups ( full sit ups, not just a half cruch ) with my legs on a bench, and my back on the ground
100 seconds of 6 inches
150 seconds of bridges
40 hanging leg raises
3, 5-10 second full way holds on a decline bench ( just before back touches ) and on the last i go till failure

i know it's alot, but i do them everyday, and it gets easier and easier every day...so it is ok? or good to do? :think:
Not sure what you are trying to achieve by doing that much for your abs every day - you'd be better off spending that time working on the REST of your body, and if you're training properly, your core will be getting worked plenty with your compound lifts. Your abs are like any other muscle and only need to be worked 2-3 times a week - and ~100 reps in total per time is adequate.

~Rosie~

L

lemon

Awards
I do work the rest also, all that takes aprox 20-25 mins to do, I throw it in at the end, I'm at the gym on average for 1 and half to 2 hours a day

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I do work the rest also, all that takes aprox 20-25 mins to do, I throw it in at the end, I'm at the gym on average for 1 and half to 2 hours a day
Daily abwork is unnecessary, IMO. The same as spending 1.5-2 hours resistance training a day - your body needs recovery, because it's in your RECOVERY time that you gets results. But, you will do what you will do - in the end your training needs to be appropriate for you, your goals and needs, but remember that more is NOT always better.

~Rosie~

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

- Not trying to be too picky, but those are still crunches. Having your legs on the bench still bring your legs and knees closer to your reach than having your feet flat on the deck. IMO I consider a true full sit up is with your feet flat on the deck, your shoulders touch the deck when going down and you break the vertical plane of your knees when in the up position. That would complete the full range of motion.

- FYI... commonly known as bicycle crunches. Just easier to write/explain :)

100 seconds of 6 inches
150 seconds of bridges
40 hanging leg raises

- And it probably is getting easier as you have been actually working on muscular endurance. Though, do not expect to see continuous results for ever.

I am not sure what your goal is either. To gain a six pack? Because a six pack is all the result of nutrition and having a low enough BF%. You can do all the ab work in the world in any form and schedule and never have a visible six pack if your BF% is not low enough. On the opposite spectrum you can have someone who does NO ab work at all and see their six pack if they do have a low enough BF% Savvy?

Also, I'd be willing to bet that you would still have the same results in endurance and strength if you did abs less throughout the week. Maybe even see an improvement since those muscles would have time to rest and repair. Especially if you are incorporating compound lifts, because the inevitably work all the various ab muscles as accessory support to the movement.

The time saved I feel could be better spent. Even if it is simply to go home and recover.

1.5-2hrs a day in the gym is for many more time than needed. I say for many because obviously not everyone is built the same and especially people who are "ON" can get away with lifting longer etc etc. One real thing to consider in regards to the amount of time spent lifting is cortisol levels. There has been many studies that show that beyond 1hr cortisol levels begin to rise significantly and lifting during this point can even become counter productive. If you spend sometime on google and the AM search you can find these studies. I do not have them off hand, sry.

You asked, we answered :D

L

lemon

Awards
for future reference any time i respond if i come off as an ass and like I'm not listening i truly don't mean it :( i just come off like that sometimes. I'm really want to get my workout into check in every aspect.

it's not that im going for a six pack or anything, im just tryin to tighten up my midsection...i know diet nutrition and all that is what determines how your mid section looks, but coming off of a lot of weight ( lost 150 lbs ) i have a lot of loose skin/pockets of fat that just wont budge...i was hoping by pounding the mid section it wouldn't have a choice but to fill in and get a bit tighter

and i say 1.5-2 hours including 10-15 mins of warm up stretching, 20-25 mins abs, and 5-10 of talking ( i go to a gym where all my friends go as well )...so all that added together im looking at 50 mins of BS or so, actual work out gym time is about 1 hour - 1.25 hours depending on the day

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I hit abs twice a week and that seems to work great for me. I try to have one day be weighted exercises and the other body-weight exercises. At the most, I'd work them every other day and it was less volume when I did that.

Good luck, man!