Full body, 3X/Week

JohnRock

JohnRock

Awards
  • Established
I've been putting some thought into changing up my training since I found that I'll be black belt testing late spring or summer. So, I've been researching how MMA fighters typically train. It seems there are a lot of variables, and in many cases, I'm already doing a lot of the same things...but one common thing I see across the board is that they're not breaking down their strength training by body part.

Right now, I'm basically doing 5/3/1 four times a week with cardio before bed and some occasionally TRX/core work. Here's what I'm considering:

Monday: Powerlifting for low reps. Bench, squats, deads, clean & press for low reps, heavy weight. Plenty of rest, not a lot of sets each.

Wednesday: Similar moves, done as complexes.

Friday: Body weight moves only. Push-ups, pull-ups, dips, box jumps, etc. Done for reps

I'm not too concerned with gaining size here. If I get a little more, great, but what I'm after is all-around performance. Aesthetically, I'm fairly content.

Also, my cardio will probably stay in place as it is. It's all functional stuff that relates pretty well to martial arts and I like doing it.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Machwon1

Awards
  • Established
Sounds like what I been trying for tue last two weeks... 3 days I do full body mostly complex moves... Bench deads squat cleans some iso.... Then every t/th morning I do 3 sets till failure of pull up, push ups, dips, crunches. So far in only 2 weeks my pull ups went from 7 to 9 no problem at 203lbs... So I think it's working...

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm doing a full body 3x a week now (just started this week) but i'm intermixing the bodyweight with the others, and basically making each of the days have a body part as primary. So monday is leg primary, so first exercise is squats, and did rows for back, incline db for chest. Wed was back primary, so did deadlifts as first exercise, then legpress, etc. today was chest shoulder centric, so did flat bb, then seated military, then legs, back etc. I'm basically shooting for 4 sets of 8 or 3 sets of 12 on all of mine, all days. Can't really say how its going to work out though, as i just started.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I've been putting some thought into changing up my training since I found that I'll be black belt testing late spring or summer. So, I've been researching how MMA fighters typically train. It seems there are a lot of variables, and in many cases, I'm already doing a lot of the same things...but one common thing I see across the board is that they're not breaking down their strength training by body part.

Right now, I'm basically doing 5/3/1 four times a week with cardio before bed and some occasionally TRX/core work. Here's what I'm considering:

Monday: Powerlifting for low reps. Bench, squats, deads, clean & press for low reps, heavy weight. Plenty of rest, not a lot of sets each.

Friday: Body weight moves only. Push-ups, pull-ups, dips, box jumps, etc. Done for reps

I'm not too concerned with gaining size here. If I get a little more, great, but what I'm after is all-around performance. Aesthetically, I'm fairly content.

Also, my cardio will probably stay in place as it is. It's all functional stuff that relates pretty well to martial arts and I like doing it.

Looks fine - Full-Body sessions can be highly effective, especially for fitness :)

Be very careful not to overtrain.
He's not going to overtrain on that!

~Rosie~

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

Looks good. Complexes are awesome for MMA.. great way to train your lactic acid threshold! Only thing I see missing is maybe some GPP type work. Also I have been recently experimenting with some time under tension type techniques. Two I have tried is.. doing lunges while holding a sandbag in a bear hug and another one is hanging from a pull up bar and grabbing a sandbag with your legs and pulling it to your stomach, like in guard and holding it there for time. Like I said I JUST started playing around with this concept and have only tried these two but I like it and feel it will translate well into a grappling match.

Good luck with your belt test