Chest Cold - When does it become OK to train again?

OVERHAUL

Awards
Right after new year, I was felled by a grotty cold and had lack of energy, breathelessness and a sore throat. A week or so on, I have a really dry scratchy cough and still a very, very slight bit of chest discomfort. The last time I trained was NYE, so I feel much better having not trained.

Should I wait until symptoms have abated completely before resuming any sort of training? Or is there light stuff I can do? Kind of going a bit mad.

CaponeCEO

CaponeCEO

Awards
  • Established
I was in the same boat. I was pretty sick for a few days, where I couldn't go to the gym. Now I have a slight lingering cough and I am back working out. If you still feel some residual lethargy then I would say try lifting only and avoid cardio. If you are still weak and push yourself cardio wise you are likely to become light headed and dizzy. You can do some low intensity lifting though.

This is a question that most people will have to answer on an individual basis, however unless I'm pretty sick I stick to my workout. I think being at the gym helps me get over the lingering ailments both mentally and physically.

jgassen15

jgassen15

Awards
I'd do a pretty extensive, light cardio warm-up and see how you feel. I always feel if I do a little cardio my chest colds clear out more quickly, as well as get some of that crap outta my lungs even when it burns like hell. Also, using some NAC could speed things up as well.

If the cardio goes well, maybe throw some isolation exercises in just to prevent atrophy. Any compound exercises usually make me feel like Lindsay Lohan on a Monday.

uncheelstar

Awards
Haha yes true, like lindsey lohan on a monday. But what I do when I'm in situation as this, is try to get back into it slowly such as some light cardio and maybe just hit a couple weight machines (not free weights). I do some basic lifts, and maybe some light isolation ones enough to keep whatever gains I had to some moderation.

Hopefully you get back in there and start tearing it up!

OVERHAUL

Awards
Thanks for your help guys.

I don't have the lethagy or anything but people have explained how their situation escalated or their heart muscles were affected badly. The chest tightness has been a bit disconcerting in that regard.

Anyway I like the idea of some lightish cardio and maybe machine work.

Thanks.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Right after new year, I was felled by a grotty cold and had lack of energy, breathelessness and a sore throat. A week or so on, I have a really dry scratchy cough and still a very, very slight bit of chest discomfort. The last time I trained was NYE, so I feel much better having not trained.

Should I wait until symptoms have abated completely before resuming any sort of training? Or is there light stuff I can do? Kind of going a bit mad.
It's a call every individual has to make for themselves. In all honesty, a few days off to recuperate is not going to hurt. It just depends on you and how you feel about it. Personally, I've been the same for the last few days, but I've pushed myself to go training, and trained intense, despite the raw throat and hardly being able to breathe and coughing all the time (at least it's not feeling like I'm going to be sick), and I actually feel better after training for it (until later in the day).

~Rosie~

OVERHAUL

Awards
It's a call every individual has to make for themselves. In all honesty, a few days off to recuperate is not going to hurt. It just depends on you and how you feel about it. Personally, I've been the same for the last few days, but I've pushed myself to go training, and trained intense, despite the raw throat and hardly being able to breathe and coughing all the time (at least it's not feeling like I'm going to be sick), and I actually feel better after training for it (until later in the day).

~Rosie~
Cheers Rosie. Bit of a demon aren't you? After a conditioning muck around session last week I woke up the next day in a pretty dodgy state. Then began to read of the horrors that can be sustained if you're not careful. Now I feel I'm in a bit of a gray area as to whether I'd be up for it or not but don't want to go back if I do. Hmmm.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Cheers Rosie. Bit of a demon aren't you? After a conditioning muck around session last week I woke up the next day in a pretty dodgy state. Then began to read of the horrors that can be sustained if you're not careful. Now I feel I'm in a bit of a gray area as to whether I'd be up for it or not but don't want to go back if I do. Hmmm.
Yeah well, some people don't call me "crazy" for nothing, LOL, but in all seriousness, that's just me: I have to push myself - NOT training is detrimental to my health and one of the hardest things in the world. Trust me, I wake up feeling like absolute sh*t, and yeah, I'm probably causing it to linger longer, but it helps my head feel better, and I'm making progress in some areas (training itself is not really affected), so I'm keep forcing the issue. Again, as I said earlier, it's your call to make - you know your body better than anyone, and only you can say how you honestly feel.

~Rosie~

CaponeCEO

CaponeCEO

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for your help guys.

I don't have the lethagy or anything but people have explained how their situation escalated or their heart muscles were affected badly. The chest tightness has been a bit disconcerting in that regard.

Anyway I like the idea of some lightish cardio and maybe machine work.

Thanks.
Any true chest tightness should be evaluated by your MD. Chest tightness should not be a common feeling.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Any true chest tightness should be evaluated by your MD. Chest tightness should not be a common feeling.
It shouldn't be, but for some of us it is :sigh:

OVERHAUL

Awards
I slept and slept after making this thread and the next day I was good to go. In total I took about 8 days off. I haven't been sidelined since late 2008 so it was a pretty weird time but inevitable. I think it's done me some good though because my lifts are basically par for what they were before the lay off but I feel refreshed and more enthusiastic.

Definitely a case of when you have a bad enough feeling, go with it.

The chest tightness has gone, I think it was either a lingering bench injury or caused by the virus itself.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I slept and slept after making this thread and the next day I was good to go. In total I took about 8 days off. I haven't been sidelined since late 2008 so it was a pretty weird time but inevitable. I think it's done me some good though because my lifts are basically par for what they were before the lay off but I feel refreshed and more enthusiastic.

Definitely a case of when you have a bad enough feeling, go with it.

The chest tightness has gone, I think it was either a lingering bench injury or caused by the virus itself.
Good to know you're fine. I worked through mine, and you had eight days off whilst I spent eight days hammering my body in the gym, and have still not completely recovered (although I'm getting there).

Definitely listen to your gut - I haven't many times, and every time I don't, something happens and I kick myself.

Now to get back on track with everything - the break will have done your body good, and it won't be long before you're back to where you were and PAST it!

~Rosie~