Best tricep exercise?

tbarrows

tbarrows

Awards
  • Established
Yes, I'm that dude posting from the gym! But I just realized aftr I caught a glimpse of them in the mirror here that my triceps suck. I always thought (from reading) that close grip bench was best for tricep mass gains. What are your favorite tri exercises or the ones that you've seen the most returns on?

The Neck

The Neck

Awards
  • Established
My favorite exercise would be CGBP w/boards.

needtogetmuscle

needtogetmuscle

Banned
Awards
  • Established
The real key to arm growth, is heavy back work outs consisting of rows rows and more rows!!!!!!!!!!! add in some weighted dips and you are golden.

JudgementDay

JudgementDay

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
When I was focusing on weights the best gains I saw in my triceps is when I added in a circuit of Pushdowns at the end of my arm routine.

Looked like this

Pushdowns 6-10 reps
Reverse Pushdowns 6-10 reps
Overhead push downs 6-10 reps
Repeated 3 times

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Interesting question, lets take a look at triceps anatomy. As the name implies, there are three heads, lateral, medial, and long. You'll notice the medial and lateral both attach directly to the humerus (upper arm bone), while the long head attaches to the scapula (shoulder blade).

So whats the significance? The medial and lateral head are involved in all elbow extension exercises, from chest press to over head presses to press downs, etc. The long head, which coincidentally comprises a huge portion of the upper is not fully recruited during these movements.

For the long head to be fully recruited, the shoulder must be flexed and horizontally adducted; iow, the lockout position of a close grip press. Then, elbow must be flexed and extended while maintaining this arm position.

So, the (one of the) most essential exercises for developing the triceps is the lying triceps extension, or skull crusher. Make sure you keep your upper arms fixed, however. This means elbows must not flare out, and no upper arm swing.

Br

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yes, I'm that dude posting from the gym! But I just realized aftr I caught a glimpse of them in the mirror here that my triceps suck. I always thought (from reading) that close grip bench was best for tricep mass gains. What are your favorite tri exercises or the ones that you've seen the most returns on?
Weighted Dips
Next best: Close-Grip BB Bench Press

~Rosie~
The Primordial Woman

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
I noticed my best tricep development when I focused on delts. IMO it can be easy to overtrain triceps since we hit them with chest and delt movements so we need to monitor that along with tricep exercises. I like dips but I got a weird pain on the sternum after a while.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Interesting question, lets take a look at triceps anatomy. As the name implies, there are three heads, lateral, medial, and long. You'll notice the medial and lateral both attach directly to the humerus (upper arm bone), while the long head attaches to the scapula (shoulder blade).

So whats the significance? The medial and lateral head are involved in all elbow extension exercises, from chest press to over head presses to press downs, etc. The long head, which coincidentally comprises a huge portion of the upper is not fully recruited during these movements.

For the long head to be fully recruited, the shoulder must be flexed and horizontally adducted; iow, the lockout position of a close grip press. Then, elbow must be flexed and extended while maintaining this arm position.

So, the (one of the) most essential exercises for developing the triceps is the lying triceps extension, or skull crusher. Make sure you keep your upper arms fixed, however. This means elbows must not flare out, and no upper arm swing.

Br
I just love it when a man uses his brain to train his muscle.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
For short periods of time the one that will work the best is the one you are currently not using.

Otherwise ZiR RED nailed it.

Unless you can really lay into real heavy cable push-downs their really, IMO, just good for a pump.

Ms9

Awards
When performing CG bench, keeping the elbows in where they are supposed to be and going down to about 6 inches from the chest makes a huge difference then just benching with your hands in closer.

I believe the number one problem with most peoples triceps routines is they cheat. And by most people I mean all the *******s at my gym doing pushdowns with the entire stack and leaning in and moving their elbows everywhere.

g0hardorgohom

g0hardorgohom

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
My favourites are close grip bench, skullcrushers and military press.. I think the last one gives me best gains.. Usually I prefer heavy presses but skullcrushers give me so sick DOMS that it has to be beneficial.

KashMoni

KashMoni

Awards
Cgbp to fatigue and then go into skull crushers. I like to finish with dips to failure, or if I have a partner I will do bench dips with plates on my legs

perico13

Banned
Awards
  • Established

Br
So....yeah skull crushers supper sets into cgbp.

UnrealMachine

UnrealMachine

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
skull crushers used to be my favorite but my tendons don't like those anymore

weighted dips and CGBP are my favorites. But mostly weighted dips. I do 3 sets of almost 20 with a hundred pounds strapped to me and i feel like i am done working triceps lol... Always a fan of training with high weight and dips/CGPB are the exercises that enable this.

MEPSE

MEPSE

Awards
Best for me are heavy weighted dips, keeping my body and legs vertical. Next is heavy single dumbell overhead extensions while seated, followed by close grip bench press.