An exercise for you to try

Steelwolf

Steelwolf

Awards
  • Established
Here is an exercise I seriously advise. All I have done for legs since beginning Hung Gar Gong Fu is stance work and these. I think these play a large part in my strength in my legs. I do a lot of back work with weights (rows nothing heavier than a 135lb sandbag though) sandbags Kbs and bands. So some rows, stance, work and these. I did an eagle loop deadlift of 500lbs not training any deadlifts at all with a barbell since I wana may, maybe even before that. So take that for it's worth.

Wall sits. Yes wall sits I'm sure you've all done them, but there is a trick to them. Add weight. Take a plate (preferably a loading pin so you can add better) go into a parallel stance and hold for time. Now I think this is probably 1/3 of where my strength is coming from. The other 1/3 from stances and the final from back movements. I seriously think these play a part and advise them to try for everyone.

wearedbleedblue

wearedbleedblue

Awards
  • Established
Isometric holds will only build strength in the range that it is worked. You may be getting stronger at parallel but it won't do anything for overall squatting or deadlifting strength. Now if you did these every two or so inches down in a squat pattern, it might have more carryover. Isos are good for strength though, IMO, just very under used.

Steelwolf

Steelwolf

Awards
  • Established
Isometric holds will only build strength in the range that it is worked. You may be getting stronger at parallel but it won't do anything for overall squatting or deadlifting strength. Now if you did these every two or so inches down in a squat pattern, it might have more carryover. Isos are good for strength though, IMO, just very under used.
We keep saying that and science keeps saying it, but do look up the original Bob Hoffman program on these. He had athletes (like paul anderson) making amazing over all strength gains in lifts from these. I think while we say it is only giving us power in those ranges it may be doing much more. I look at science for a guide line and then see what fully does work.