I cant get my legs sore anymore

schwellington

schwellington

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I have been lifting hard for about 1.5 years

I remember I used to not be able to walk without effort for like 3-4 days after a leg workout- now they barely get sore

I have switched it up recently- some soreness but not what I wANT!

Routine

Prefatigue legs with
Leg extensions at 160lbsx3 sets
Leg press- 300 x 3 sets

Then I go to squats and hit this

250x8 265x8 275x8 285x8 245x8

Work my hams and then repeat the leg extensions

then do lunges with 50 lb dumbells

Next week I will go back to doing like 8 sets under the squat bar- that did get me a bit sore

But what am I missin hurr?

TipTopShape

TipTopShape

Awards
  • Established

I remember I used to not be able to walk without effort for like 3-4 days after a leg workout- now they barely get sore

Routine

Prefatigue legs with
Leg press- 300 x 3 sets

Next week I will go back to doing like 8 sets under the squat bar- that did get me a bit sore

good routine. HURR???

S

Sweekaters

Awards
Being sore is not a good indication of whether or not you are making progress. Your body adapts to the stress you place on it, getting more efficient at clearing out the chemicals that make you sore, and after awhile it will be impossible to get sore without overtraining.

gamer2be08

gamer2be08

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I would say, start off with squats and go heavier. That always gets my legs.

schwellington

schwellington

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
thanks gents, and that makes sense about the body flushing out chems

MrBigPR

MrBigPR

NutraPlanet Rep
Awards
  • Established
BCAA's,EAA's,carbs,supps and ROM could be contributing factors also. If ur using HGH supps ur less prone to soreness, more BCAA's=less sore, PH's/AAS/DS=quicker recovery.

GeekPoop

GeekPoop

Awards
  • Established
why would you not increase the weight after 1.5 years?

n when does limping around for 3-4 days indicate progress?

hell dont eat n do your routine, you'll hurt real fast

schwellington

schwellington

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
why would you not increase the weight after 1.5 years?

n when does limping around for 3-4 days indicate progress?

hell dont eat n do your routine, you'll hurt real fast
I think u misread cousin- I have increased my weight I originally started out squatting like 235 x8 for three sets and got it up to 315 x8 for three sets- its probly more now but I havent tried it out- no I do not one rep max- ever

And no I know limping doesnt indicate progress- but I thought soreness was muscle tissue tearing and being reformed in the legs-thus legs coming back bigger

Gonzo14

Gonzo14

Awards
  • Established
I would say, start off with squats and go heavier. That always gets my legs.
I dont know if I 100% agree with this, I always squatted first, as hard and as heavy as possible, no doubt a good workout, gaining mass and strength throughout your entire body, but always felt my back give out before i hammered my legs.
Routine

Prefatigue legs with
Leg press- 300 x 3 sets

Soreness doesn't mean progress like said before. Last time I checked walking around like a stick was up your ass wasn't fun, at least wasn't for me. but heres some things I see if you want to revamp your leg workout for better progress/size.
First problem I see is your wasting your time with prefatiguing your legs.
Warm up via bike/tredmil/ect. Then bust right into leg ext and curls hard. Then i'd hit the legpress or hacks. again hard and heavy, THEN squat. you wont be able to lift as much, but your legs will get much more work out of the squat personally i feel. Maybe finish it off with some long distance DB lunges or back exts, which i like to end my leg days with.
Second problem i see if your 8 rep sets. 8-10 reps are suggested for best hypertrophy but i dont think so personally with legs, simply because they are used to getting in thousands of reps (depending on your activity level) a day. Try 12-15 reps sets, especially during leg ext/curls.

But ultimately a good leg workout comes from heavy weights, controlled movements, tight contractions and squeezes, and what a lot of people forget more so with legs is the negative and training past failure.

GeekPoop

GeekPoop

Awards
  • Established
dont pre exhaust your legs prior to squats first off, that makes no sense.

come up w/ some type of progression like add 5lbs every week or something or base it off 1RM %

do your extensions n crap after you squat

MrBigPR

MrBigPR

NutraPlanet Rep
Awards
  • Established
warmup the muscle and ht the legs hard. start heavier than normal..ditch p*ssy weights. that'll shock ur muscles.

yesterday I started with 315 instead of working up to it...legs feel awesomely sore today. I'm gonna go swimming then surfing here in a bit...love the soreness and dong cardio sore :D

schwellington

schwellington

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
thanks for all the feed back gents! I will incorperate all this shiat into my routine next leg day

SouthernCharm

SouthernCharm

Awards
  • Established
Change it up bro... Get you a spotter for squats and go a little heavier for 6-8 reps. If you can pop out 5-7, it's not a 1rm.. So youre fine there. Also, do ATG, lower than parallel and pause before coming back up...

I agree with Geek that soreness doesn't mean you had a good workout. I know I had a good workout when I my legs feel fried and full of glycogen. Sometimes they're sore, sometimes they're not.

I'm a big fan of the leg press. My back also goes out doing heavy squats, so having a support behind your back helps you push out more weight. I bet you could kill 700-900 lbs on the leg press if you're pushing 315 x 8 on squats. Go deep and explode up and push through your heels so you don't mess up your knees. I'm sure you know this by now, but change it up with some heavy ass leg presses and I PROMISE you will notice the change and may even spark some new growth.

My 2 cents.

F

friggin24pack

Awards
dude try doing front squats. front squats first then reg squats. when i couldnt get legs sore anymore i started doing front squats and my legs were twitching/shaking/failing like my first leg training day ever.

my routine. it seems to never get old
front squats
squats
(sometimes smith deep squats)
leg presses
leg extensions

sometimes to really blast legs. ill superset light weight/high rep deadlifts with med/heavy weight squats. wont b able to walk the next few days tho heh

TheBreeze

TheBreeze

Awards
  • Established
From my experience, heavy squats almost always result in soreness the next 2-3 days. IMHO 285lbs just isn't enough. My 1rm is a little over 500 on BB squats and my 5rm on leg press is almost 1500 and I usually warm up with 225 on squats and at least 12-14 plates on the sled.

Most of the post on here are completely correct. Lift more weight, get sore, then get bigger legs.

rankbull

rankbull

Awards
  • Established
Try ending your routine with some widowmaker squats (20-25 reps) with as much weight as you can handle. That seems to do the trick for me.

wolverines

wolverines

Awards
  • Established
Try doing reverse sets with squats. This has really helped me a lot.

For example, warm up with lets say 155. Then, you'll do 5 working sets with the rep range looking something like this: 6,7,8,9,10.

After each set, drop the weight 10 - 15 lbs. * Use the heaviest weight you can for 6 reps and decrease from there.