How do you guys feel about deadlifting in the squat rack?

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
At my gym all the flat barbell are either in the squat rack or on the bench press, there are a lot of ez bars and preset flat bar, but all the empty flat bars are either in the squat rack or on the bench press, so I've had to deadlift in the squat rack the past two weeks. Luckily there is only usual one person at a squat rack and there are 4 of them, but there are always people at the bench press. When I get past curling 110lbs with the preset bar, I might have to curl in the squat rack if I don't want to curl with an ez bar.

intheflesh

intheflesh

Awards
I'd never forgive you for curling in the squat rack, but in your situation, deadlifting there is fine.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
I'd never forgive you for curling in the squat rack, but in your situation, deadlifting there is fine.
Yeah I know you guys hate curling in the squat rack, but there are no extra flat bars. I've never curled with an ez bar.

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
i do the same thing i set the loadedbar against the end of the power rack roll it towards me then lift. also i can go straight to rack pulls afterwards so the power rack is mine all workout ;) and if no one is squatting in the squat rack i dont see why you cant curl in there

Sweekaters

Awards
I can't associate with things like this, I haven't seen a soul at my gym in at least three months (which is why I absolutely love it, everything is always free).

imjuschillin

Awards
OK, coo. C, I was just about to come on here and ask why the hate for curling in the squat rack? I guess it's to do with the amount of weight used...

intheflesh

intheflesh

Awards
I guess it's just a pet peeve. Most of the time it's bros who are oblivious that other people want to squat in the squat rack, looking at themselves in the mirror and curling, you know? If there's no line-up, I guess I don't have any real issues with it. :)

TheDarkHalf

TheDarkHalf

Awards
  • Established
I deadlift in the squat rack all the time....we call those rack pulls

hardknock

Awards
  • Established
If you are doing rack pulls then that is the only way, well, only way safely so I think its no problem.

NCAA68

NCAA68

Awards
  • Established
If your not on your cellphone in the gym then you are fine by me

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
Just to let you guys know, I go to the Gold's in Dundalk Maryland.

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
If your not on your cellphone in the gym then you are fine by me
i never get this, i can get serious within .5 seconds... if im pulling ME sets and have to wait 3-5 mins between sets i dont see why i cant text stare of into space hell take a piss or poop in between as long as im hitting it... I wouldnt text while i had a workout partner needing a spot tho lol

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
i never get this, i can get serious within .5 seconds... if im pulling ME sets and have to wait 3-5 mins between sets i dont see why i cant text stare of into space hell take a piss or poop in between as long as im hitting it... I wouldnt text while i had a workout partner needing a spot tho lol
I smashed my last phone with a db. Phone stays in the locker now - I get too excited in the gym sometimes. :/

NCAA68

NCAA68

Awards
  • Established
Its a sign of respect, or showing that you take the gym serious. I dont know what to call it as Im not great with words. But using your phone in the gym is infuriating to people who are there to lift. Imagine if you turned and one of your defensive teamates was texting while the offense was on the field. I understand you know that its not taking any extra time but when Im waiting for a bench and the guy on it is texting I want to rip his effin arms off and beat him with them. I have no problem waiting if you are prepping or resting or stretching getting water whatever. How bout this example that street by you where 2 lanes merge into 1 and everyone knows and gets in the right lane and some jakkoff flys up in the wrong lane and tries to merge and cut everyone off, now maybe hes not from around and didnt know but thats not what you and everyone else think so you not taking extra time doesnt matter everyone else assumes you are.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
Its a sign of respect, or showing that you take the gym serious. I dont know what to call it as Im not great with words. But using your phone in the gym is infuriating to people who are there to lift. Imagine if you turned and one of your defensive teamates was texting while the offense was on the field. I understand you know that its not taking any extra time but when Im waiting for a bench and the guy on it is texting I want to rip his effin arms off and beat him with them. I have no problem waiting if you are prepping or resting or stretching getting water whatever. How bout this example that street by you where 2 lanes merge into 1 and everyone knows and gets in the right lane and some jakkoff flys up in the wrong lane and tries to merge and cut everyone off, now maybe hes not from around and didnt know but thats not what you and everyone else think so you not taking extra time doesnt matter everyone else assumes you are.
When I go to the gym I bring a notebook with me and write down every exercise do and how many reps and sets and after I get done my sets I leave the bench, or rack, or whatever station I'm at.

BamaDog

BamaDog

Awards
Yeah I know you guys hate curling in the squat rack, but there are no extra flat bars. I've never curled with an ez bar.
Yeah I mean I never saw a problem with curling on the squat rack, personally it I think it is nicer because at my gym the bar is a lot thicker and it just seems easier. I also think the EZ bar absolutely kills my wrists but to each their own.

zodiiac523

zodiiac523

Awards
  • Established
My cell phone has my wourkout logs on it, i type in how many reps/weight i get, already have everything typed out ahead of time, just have to input a number then im on my way again... I always turn off my connections though so i cant get any calls or texts..

ambulldog

ambulldog

Awards
  • Established
i do it all the time. because of my lower back which can give me problems now and again. i go a couple pins off the floor. not quite partial but surely not full. but hey safety 1st and i love dl's

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Deadlifts in rack -> OK
Curling in the rack -> not OK

NCAA68

NCAA68

Awards
  • Established
My cell phone has my wourkout logs on it, i type in how many reps/weight i get, already have everything typed out ahead of time, just have to input a number then im on my way again... I always turn off my connections though so i cant get any calls or texts..
Again Im sure you can rationalize whatever you want and I am not at your gym so I dont care what you do I am speaking from my own experience... In the end it doesnt matter I dont take the time to figure out why your on your cell phone. The are a million reasons why it should be ok, but in the end I and most people I know assume that your just a jakass and your not taking your lifting serious.

*the you is a general you in the sense of the guy(s) at my gym on the phone* Also if you are bigger or stronger than me I wont necessarily get upset, but the people I see on the phone are definitely not

chess315

chess315

Awards
it depends on the enviormant at my sissy gym you can do what you want but deadlifting in the squat rack is fine but in a real gym curling and so forth will make you look like and idiot

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
well if im resting 3 mins between a squat set, im taking 3 minutes ill send a text do whatever untill im ready. Im not rushing it cuz someone is waiting. Idk it still doesnt make sense too me lol

TheDarkHalf

TheDarkHalf

Awards
  • Established
well if im resting 3 mins between a squat set, im taking 3 minutes ill send a text do whatever untill im ready. Im not rushing it cuz someone is waiting. Idk it still doesnt make sense too me lol
Personally I think the people that stand there waiting are just wasting their time....instead of just standing there they could move on to other lifts and come back in 10 mins.

zodiiac523

zodiiac523

Awards
  • Established
Personally I think the people that stand there waiting are just wasting their time....instead of just standing there they could move on to other lifts and come back in 10 mins.
agreed, i have had to do this more than once..

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
great idea instead of waiting 3 mins to pull a max effort deadlift maybe i should go do some curls or something :rasp:

i hope ur not sugggesting doing anything but resting when between sets when ur trying to break PRs

zodiiac523

zodiiac523

Awards
  • Established
great idea instead of waiting 3 mins to pull a max effort deadlift maybe i should go do some curls or something :rasp:

i hope ur not sugggesting doing anything but resting when between sets when ur trying to break PRs
he saying if someone is using the machine you need, start with a diff exercise instead of waiting for it to clear out.

hardknock

Awards
  • Established
The gym I lift at has about 19 chest machines including 9 benches, and I can't count how many squat racks and dead lift pads it has. We have no room to argue if someone is on a phone because joe is waiting for a machine or bench...No disrespect meant here, but seriously, there are other things that can occupy my mind rather than being pissed that some guy in the corner is on his phone. If he is taking up a spot where I need to be then that is totally different but, as I said, our gym is way to big for that.

NCAA68

NCAA68

Awards
  • Established
Hey Im not saying there is a rhyme or reason for the way I feel, I probably dont even need the equipment your using. When I see someone on the phone I immediately assume hes a dbag, and doesnt deserve to workout in my gym. It might not be right or fair, I just know that I hate guys on cell phones in the gym.

Also I never see the guys I respect using their phone, It seems to be the pretty boys with their muscle milk working out in their glitter and rhinestone adorned affliction tshirts

Outstanding

Awards
  • Established
At my gym all the flat barbell are either in the squat rack or on the bench press, there are a lot of ez bars and preset flat bar, but all the empty flat bars are either in the squat rack or on the bench press, so I've had to deadlift in the squat rack the past two weeks. Luckily there is only usual one person at a squat rack and there are 4 of them, but there are always people at the bench press. When I get past curling 110lbs with the preset bar, I might have to curl in the squat rack if I don't want to curl with an ez bar.
Dead-lifting in the rack is great for Romanian (three-quarter) dead-lifts, to activate your lower back without over exhausting your hamstrings as floor dead lifts tend to do.