Does HIIT burn muscle?

guyr62

Awards
Members,

The general concensus seems to be that HIIT is an exellent way to burn fat in a cutting phase. But does HIIT cardio training burn more muscle that a steady 60 to 70% BPM? Currently, I am using a variation of HIIT for 1 hour in the morning and 1 hour in the evening. I do 9 min @ 65% and 1 min maxed out @ 95 to 98%. then repeat. It seems like my heart rate stays above 70%, 30 minutes out of the hour. In an aggressive fat cutting phase, I'm losing on average 3 lbs of fat per week, but I am also losing about .5 lbs of muscle. Please assume diet and weight training to be dialed in. Maybe slow and steady would protect more muscle?
Your thoughts are appreciated as always!
Thanks!
Mike

jim623

Members,

The general concensus seems to be that HIIT is an exellent way to burn fat in a cutting phase. But does HIIT cardio training burn more muscle that a steady 60 to 70% BPM? Currently, I am using a variation of HIIT for 1 hour in the morning and 1 hour in the evening. I do 9 min @ 65% and 1 min maxed out @ 95 to 98%. then repeat. It seems like my heart rate stays above 70%, 30 minutes out of the hour. In an aggressive fat cutting phase, I'm losing on average 3 lbs of fat per week, but I am also losing about .5 lbs of muscle. Please assume diet and weight training to be dialed in. Maybe slow and steady would protect more muscle?
Your thoughts are appreciated as always!
Thanks!
Mike
You're going to lose muscle in any cutting phase no matter what kind of cardio you do. I do think you are doing too much per session though. I may be wrong but I'd say 30 minutes max per session.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
If you're losing 3 lbs a week on a consistent basis, then you are in way too large of a kcal deficit.

jim623

Rodja, you're a no BS, straight forward guy. Let me ask you this, do you think HIIT is over rated?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Rodja, you're a no BS, straight forward guy. Let me ask you this, do you think HIIT is over rated?
No, but it is far too over-valued for its efficacy in fat loss. In true cuts, the CNS if often very fatigued and HIIT can exacerbate this. IMO, HIIT should be treated like any other training session with appropriate pre and post nutrition. HIIT can have wonderful effects on body composition if supported by the proper environment.

guyr62

Awards
Thanks Guys!
I need to back the cardio off a bit, up the calories a few hundred per day. Probably a 2 pound loss per week will better preserve the muscle. It's just that I want that 12% fast lol!

Thanks!
Mike

nparisi

nparisi

Awards
  • Established
sip on some aminos during your HIIT also if you're worried about muscle loss

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
No, but it is far too over-valued for its efficacy in fat loss. In true cuts, the CNS if often very fatigued and HIIT can exacerbate this. IMO, HIIT should be treated like any other training session with appropriate pre and post nutrition. HIIT can have wonderful effects on body composition if supported by the proper environment.
Well put Rodja.

You need to feed fuel to the fire if you want it to burn hotter.