Hurt my upper back

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
How long would you recommend I take off so my upper back can heal? I hurt it doing military presses with improper form and it hasn't been the same since. I can still do my workout, but I feel pain after. The thing is I won't have much pain until after I do the workout. Also, if I do take time off from working my upper back could I still do other exercises, or would you just recommend that I just stop working out altogether for a week or two? It hurts where my spine is. I'm sure that doesnt sound good.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
Yeah I was just wondering if I should take one or two weeks off. As I said a lot of time I don't feel the pain until after the workout so it would be kind of hard to tell when my back is healed enough to workout.

Army Guy

Army Guy

Awards
  • Established
Brother I have seen this before. Pain near the spine is not a good thing. I would, if at all possible, go see a doctor. You may have just pulled something, best case scenario, worse case is nerve damage or a slipped disk. Rest, yes, but get it looked at and keep your fingers crossed its something minor

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
I got the worst doctor when it comes to talking about lifting or an injury because of lifting. he'll just tell me to stop lifting.

J

jcp2

Awards
  • Established
I just hope I don't need surgery
Put the breaks on a second. Talk to any older lifters who is serious about it, and ask how many times they pull, strain or hurt something (notice i did not say injured) and you are going to get a list of ****. Go see a doc if it is that bad, if he cant find anything wrong, which is probably going to be the case, Get massages, and find and ART guy and chiro. You really didn't go into to much detail about what hurts and where. Not that you should be diagnosed over the internet, but sometimes people who have never had setbacks blow things out of proportion.

I had a 25 year old guy i know at the gym tell me he was injured. I asked him what was wrong, he told me he had tendonitis in his shoulder, lol. That is not injured, a torn patella tendon is injured.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
dull to sharp pain in the middle of my upper back. strongest pain happens about 30-45 minutes after working out my upper back. Also, it hurts the most on shoulder days too. Here is what I do on back and shoulder days
Back and Bis
DB rows (2 sets)
BB curl (1 set)
Hammer curls (1 set)
Deadlift (3 sets)
Reverse DB Wrist Curl (1 set)
chinups

Shoulders

Military Press (3 sets)
BB Shrugs (3 sets)
Upright row (2 sets)
DB Shrugs (2 sets)
Lateral Raise (1 set)
DB Wrist Curl (1 set)

This pain started about 3 or 4 weeks ago when I was doing military presses improperly and arching my back

J

jcp2

Awards
  • Established
Go see a doc, see what he says. If it hasn't gone away in 3-4 weeks and is in the middle of the back, best to get it looked at. I love my chiro/ART guy, but even if he felt i was injured he would send me to the doc.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
Go see a doc, see what he says. If it hasn't gone away in 3-4 weeks and is in the middle of the back, best to get it looked at. I love my chiro/ART guy, but even if he felt i was injured he would send me to the doc.
Oh my insurance doesn't cover chiros. I was thinking maybe it hasn't heal because I havn't taken alot of time off

R

Robbo

Awards
Is it like a burning spot to the side of the spine that can radiate to the shoulder? Can you find it and pressing it causes the burning sensation?

I cant remember the name of the muscle but I had some sort of soft-tissue thing like that. Especially with dumbbell flies and a little with upright rows as some other muscle was activating in my upper back.

It disappeared after a few weeks of not upsetting it but I remember I used to get the same thing about 14 years ago so it might be an anomalous bit muscle or something.

Y

youngandfree

Awards
  • Established
A pinched nerve can radiate pain to a different area, depending on what nerve is pinched. I am with JCP2, figure out how to get to a chiro. A general practitioner won't help usually, especially if they are not a sports type doc or out of shape themselves. And usually they will give you anti-inflammatories that won't help if it is a pinched nerve. You will need to get your spine adjusted back into alignment in order to release the nerve. No amount of drugs will do that if that is your problem.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
A pinched nerve can radiate pain to a different area, depending on what nerve is pinched. I am with JCP2, figure out how to get to a chiro. A general practitioner won't help usually, especially if they are not a sports type doc or out of shape themselves. And usually they will give you anti-inflammatories that won't help if it is a pinched nerve. You will need to get your spine adjusted back into alignment in order to release the nerve. No amount of drugs will do that if that is your problem.
My insurance does not cover chrios. I was thinking of getting an inversion table. The pain seems to be going away. Do you know how much that will help? No one has answered my inversion table post. I don't have $50 per session to go to a chiro. Hell I have no job. I have to have my grandmom order the table for me.

Y

youngandfree

Awards
  • Established
How much is the table? If it is more than $100, then save the money and go to the chiro. IMO, an inversion table might help, I don't know much about them. But a chiro can take an x-ray and see if there is a vertebrae shifted or not. If it is, then it needs to be adjusted properly. If not, your body will compensate for the pain and you will keep getting more out of alignment as a result.

And if you go to a chiro, first thing to ask is if they take x-rays. If they don't walk away very fast. I know some don't bother with them, and IMO how can they possibly know if something is misaligned. I work with a girl that went to one that didn't take x-rays, he just used some sort of thermal imaging scanner and found a "hot spot". He jsut started twisting away on her and caused more pain than good. A chiro that doesn't take x-rays of your spine should be avoided at all costs, IMO.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
Well there is nothing I can do, without getting my insurance changed which I have no idea how to do. Which even if I knew what to do would take awhile. Also, my doctor is an idiot. Changing doctors would also take awhile. The inversion table is about 150