Does anyone do conditioning anymore?

wearedbleedblue

wearedbleedblue

Awards
  • Established
I'm not talking about treadmill running or hitting up the elliptical, I'm talking about balls to the wall, push yourself until you can't stand or get lightheaded. I've been following some of Ross Enamait's GPP workouts lately but they all seem to be pretty similar. What does anyone else do for GPP work? I've played around with sandbags and would love to get my hands on a tractor tire to smash around and possibly flip also. Any good ideas?

bkoguy07

bkoguy07

Awards
  • Established
I play basketball till I can barely walk... full court for 5 hours will **** your **** up

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Tabata sprints on a treadmill is an excellent part of any conditioning program. Most GPP has a sport application with little emphasis on strength or size, which is the goal of the overwhelming majority of this board.

wearedbleedblue

wearedbleedblue

Awards
  • Established
Can't do tabata sprints on treadmills where I go. I don't think they go over 13mph and once you get to 13 for more than 15 seconds they freak out and sometimes overheat/shut off. Feasible to do them on a 200m track?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Can't do tabata sprints on treadmills where I go. I don't think they go over 13mph and once you get to 13 for more than 15 seconds they freak out and sometimes overheat/shut off. Feasible to do them on a 200m track?
That's what the grade is for.

CROWLER

CROWLER

Anabolic Innovations Owner
Awards
  • Established
I biked 60 miles and then immediately ran 12 miles the other day does that count?

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I would suggest exactly what Rodja says not to in his Sig... Crossfit

and truthfully, I'm not going to argue it. <- I just need to say that because Rodja and I just simply have differing opinions on this subject.

JudgementDay

JudgementDay

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
When I push it balls to the wall for conditioning here is my sample workout.

3x5 min rounds of kickboxing on the heavy bag

ROUND 1
1min Super plyo1 push up’s
1min reveres back push ups
1min lunges
1min brock’s wrestling drill
1min bike

ROUND 2
30 sec’s plyo2 push up
2min skipping
30sec’s over head press
2min bike

ROUND 3
1min plyo3 push ups
1min plate rows
1min jumping squats
1min double crunch’s
1min skipping

ROUND 4
30 sec’s overhead press
2min bike
1min laying dumbbell punch
1min 30sec’s skipping

ROUND 5
1min barbell punch
1min dumbbell slamming lift
1min weighted cage crawls
1min push up/squat/chin up
1min plank

ROUND 6
2min sprinting
30 sec’s medicine ball push ups
1min bike
1min skipping
30sec’s plate punch

ROUND 7
30 sec’s plyo2 push up
30 sec’s reverse push up
30 sec’s plate punch
30 sec’s plate around head
30 sec’s plate pull
30 sec’s punch out sprawl
2min abs

ROUND 8
2min bike
1min skipping
2min sprinting

ROUND 9 HIGH REPS 50 reps a set
Incline dumbbell pres
Shoulders tri-set
Pull downs
Cross overs lower chest
Cross overs upper chest

ROUND 10 25 reps per set
Cross overs
Shoulders
Arms
Abs

Then
Bike 5min, stepper 5min, cross trainer 5min and Treadmill 5min at 9MPH
Then repeat again.

I'm so dead after this workout.

Last edited:
Sinon

Sinon

Awards
Do you have that memorized? I wouldn't have any clueb what's next after about three rounds. o_O

Mozilla/5.0 (Danger hiptop 4.7; U; rv:1.7.12) Gecko/20050920

JudgementDay

JudgementDay

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I have it memorized now, but I use to just print it out so I could read what's next.

Loki003

Awards
I do swim conditioning, like swimming with a bungie cord strapped to my body, using water weights, and the worst is swimming with a parachute. It destroys you to the point where you can barely pull yourself out of the pool after.

wearedbleedblue

wearedbleedblue

Awards
  • Established
Thats awesome, love the ideas guys, keep it coming.

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I do swim conditioning, like swimming with a bungie cord strapped to my body, using water weights, and the worst is swimming with a parachute. It destroys you to the point where you can barely pull yourself out of the pool after.
You do hypoxic drills? I love 'em.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Strength Cardio is a good book by robert dos medios. Another one of my fav authors is zach even-esh. He has a couple good GPP workouts, some old school farmer style training. Kettlebells, sandbags, farmer carries, sledge hammer swings, overhead carries, complexes, circuits, etc.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Most of my conditioning work is done on the track/field.

Hill running is great conditioning. Sprint up, walk down backwards (will really stretch the calves, hams and hip flexors).

You could also pull a sled or push a prowler.

If you're looking for weight based conditioning workouts, you can look into Marc McDougal's "burn fat like you're on crack" articles.

Br

Tone

Tone

Awards
  • Established
40-100 meter sprints, sprint walk back, repeat.........do about 15-20 :)

diezel

Awards
  • Established
I'm not talking about treadmill running or hitting up the elliptical, I'm talking about balls to the wall, push yourself until you can't stand or get lightheaded. I've been following some of Ross Enamait's GPP workouts lately but they all seem to be pretty similar. What does anyone else do for GPP work? I've played around with sandbags and would love to get my hands on a tractor tire to smash around and possibly flip also. Any good ideas?
I like to add some GPP to my workout as well. I feel some people do it too much though and all the exercises become skills and are no longer as effective as they once were. It definetly has its place, I think most don't know how to utilize it though, for the best overall results.

drivehard

drivehard

Awards
  • Established
Tuesdays and Thursdays:
Summer:
3 mile run followed by 2 miles of sprint/jog pushing extra hard up the hill to my house to the point of wanting to puke/passout, etc....

Winter:
I do 30 minutes on the elliptical, but I do the hills workout. Its perfect for HIT training. 1 minute of a steep hill that I go balls to wall on, then 1 minute of flat that I just coast on...repeat until time is up.

M/W/F
I do the following circuit in under 10 mins...well, my goal is under 10.
4 circuits of:

30 dips
15 pull-ups (four different hand positions)
30 pushups on DB's (four different widths)
30 leg lifts or 30 inclined sit-ups

MongoSS

MongoSS

Awards
Push the prowler for 10 sets of sprints, Plus one long push of 300 yards. 2xs a week.

Have done the kettlebell snatch test, which is snatching a 53 pound kettlebell 100 times within 5 min without putting it down.

Kettlebell tabatas, used to do them never was able to complete 8 rotations but made it to 5, im a big guy though.

When I get ready for strongman:

favorites are: flipping 650lb tire 5-8 times and following with 20 sledge hammer strikes and repeating for 5 sets or so.

heavy axle deadlift for reps supper setted with moderate log clean and presses for max reps.

Ultimate medley. Thought I was gonna die

700lb super yoke carry for 75 feet 220lb farmers carry (ea. hand) for 75ft. 205lb log for max reps, followed by 400lb sled pull with no rest between.

I miss all the fun conditioning, I gotta get off the treadmill and do some work. Hope some of that stuff is interesting for you.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
For those of you who don't have a sled/prowler, here is what I did before I built my sled.

Find a big, open parking lot. Find a volunteer (I had the neighborhood kids help me out).

Put your car in neutral, have your volunteer steer. Push it around the parking lot. If theres a mild hill, you can push it up, then have your volunteer coast down.

Br

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
For those of you who don't have a sled/prowler, here is what I did before I built my sled.

Find a big, open parking lot. Find a volunteer (I had the neighborhood kids help me out).

Put your car in neutral, have your volunteer steer. Push it around the parking lot. If theres a mild hill, you can push it up, then have your volunteer coast down.

Br
Homemade equipment FTW!!! Got any pics of the sled? I have plans to build me a econo style prowler out of spare wood.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
My dad built it out of scrap metal.

The base is an old metal cart used to haul oil drums with. We took the wheels off and sanded it flat. Then we bent a 3" bar at about 1.5 foot high to make up back end. We put another one at about 12" high across it as well, that way you can push from either height.

Came out really nice, you can pull it or push it.

Pops calls it the ginger charriot.

Br

Attachments