Who here works out with gloves?

• Yes

Votes: 28 34.6%
  • No

Votes: 53 65.4%

• Total voters

kmoore

Awards
For years I used to work out with gloves because I felt like they gave me a better grip on the bar because of the fact that they kept my hands dryer.

But recently, about 2-3 weeks ago, I stopped using them and I love the feeling now. Gets the hands scarred up a bit but thats not big deal to me.

So yes or no to gloves?

maurice02

maurice02

Awards
  • Established
I do. Sometimes I sweat so much I lose grip plus there are some nasty bastards at the gym picking their nose and touching the weights........

Delta Force

Delta Force

PES Rep
Awards
  • Established
I do, it gives me a better grip, my new pair has wrist support which i like it better, it takes the focus away from my wrist and lets me use heavier weight.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I do sometimes, but those things are as old as dirt. My gloves have ripped holes so old & dry they could probably cut you (and they say BodyBuilding.com on them, they're THAT old).

littlejeni

littlejeni

Awards
for obvious reasons, I don't want manly calouses

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I voted yes because it's a more accurate answer then no, but "sometimes" should have been an option.

Carry on

Pleonastic

Pleonastic

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I tried em once and actually think it lessened my grip. I hated it, and took em off after like 2 lifts. I do hate grabbing the weights after some sweaty guy just used them tho gloves help for that, but still they suck for me in the actual lifting.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I tried em once and actually think it lessened my grip. I hated it, and took em off after like 2 lifts. I do hate grabbing the weights after some sweaty guy just used them tho gloves help for that, but still they suck for me in the actual lifting.
I bench with a suicide grip (resting on the palms without my thumb wrapping around), and I've had the bar almost slip off my palm on a couple occasions when I didn't wear protection, so I generally wear them on chest days :biglaugh:

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
I only use them on higher weight (230+) benching when it starts to be an issue in my wrists. I second the vote for a sometimes option :)

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
I don't like to use them but I'm going to have to start. I'm getting tired of big ole nasty calluses on my hands

Marsh11

Marsh11

Awards
  • Established
Never use them. I feel as though you cant get a feel for the weight as well.

BettrBdyMitch

BettrBdyMitch

Awards
I never do, I'm sure at some point I might, but as far as the calluses go, my gf loves everything that is manly about me, calluses, strength, some chest hair, being able to toss her around and my tattoos so I'm not too worried about that end.

littlejeni

littlejeni

Awards
I never do, I'm sure at some point I might, but as far as the calluses go, my gf loves everything that is manly about me, calluses, strength, some chest hair, being able to toss her around and my tattoos so I'm not too worried about that end.
My husband, BigFish80, doesn't wear gloves because he likes to strengthen his grip. Besides I like a man's hands to feel like he's a man, not like he's getting manicures along side of me.

He's got a max bench press above 350lb and he thinks gloves are girlie (or for the limp-wristed, literally). This is per his mouth (he's sitting next to me while I type). :)

BigFish80

BigFish80

Awards
  • Established
My husband, BigFish80, doesn't wear gloves because he likes to strengthen his grip. Besides I like a man's hands to feel like he's a man, not like he's getting manicures along side of me.

He's got a max bench press above 350lb and he thinks gloves are girlie (or for the limp-wristed, literally). This is per his mouth (he's sitting next to me while I type). :)
Yeah come on guys. Unless you have wrist issues you shouldn't need gloves. Granted when I do hang clean or power cleans (weight 225+)I do use straps, but NO GLOVES. I use staps b/c if I was to loose my grip on heavier weight and throw the bar with 225lbs on it at a sweet lady doing 5lb dumbell curls, I pretty sure they'd kick me out of the gym. I use to wear gloves, but when I went to college and played Div 1A football, the coachs wouldn't let us wear gloves or straps. I saw my strength in my forearms and hands go though the roof! After that I was hooked on not using gloves. Muscle through, cause the results are worth it.

bkoguy07

bkoguy07

Awards
  • Established
Wish that were allowed in our gym.

your gym doesnt allow you to have chalk?

i'd have to demote that "gym" to an exercise room/facility.

p00ndawg

p00ndawg

Banned
Awards
  • Established

If he saw my blistered up bloody hands Id think hed sing a different tune. And my calluses are still getting ripped off even with gloves.

Alek

Awards
Only reason I'm not using gloves right now is that I have a wrist injury that's making gloves uncomfortable, plus mostly I use submaximal weights (hst training), plus super-slow repping.

If I were doing HIT or something like that, gloves for sure. The calluses are too bad.

But yeah, the feeling is somewhat better without them for sure.

kmoore

Awards
your gym doesnt allow you to have chalk?

i'd have to demote that "gym" to an exercise room/facility.
Yep, and it's not like its a mom and pop gym either... its just your regular Bally's.

dedlifter1

Awards
  • Established
Absolutely not. Hinders gaining grip strength. I will wrap up on heavy deadlift occasionaly.

ABNRanger

ABNRanger

Awards
  • Established
Yeah gloves for me, can't be rubbing my lady's skin with callous hands.

drivehard

drivehard

Awards
  • Established
I only wear them for heavy bench and dips for wrist support...otherwise just chalk.

Although my GF bitches up a storm about my "scratchy" hands...and I lotion them about 4 to 5 times a day. Ain't no lotion alive that is going to dissolve these mounds of dead skin :)

TexasTitan

TexasTitan

Awards
  • Established
A bunch of guys from my high school went on to play college ball, like 15 or so (not all in my year) and every single one wears recieving gloves when they train.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
My girlfriend hates it. She's been wondering for over a year now about when they're going to "heal up." I'm telling ya, my turtle shells are unfadable.

wearedbleedblue

wearedbleedblue

Awards
  • Established
I hate the way gloves feel and I couldn't get callouses if I tried. Heavy deads, pullups, grip work...no callouses. I have freakishly soft hands and I never ever use lotion.

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
A bunch of guys from my high school went on to play college ball, like 15 or so (not all in my year) and every single one wears recieving gloves when they train.
Good idea actually

kmoore

Awards
As long as your not one of those guys that are working out in gardening gloves or mechanics gloves... then it's fine IMO.

Shatter

Shatter

Awards
I don't know if it's just my gym but I've never seen anyone over 150lbs with gloves. It's always really small guys, often who have just started working out. I must admit I used gloves on occassion, when I started working out too.

AllMaxBrian

Awards
I never see anyone with gloves, sometimes wrist straps but that's it.

rabican

rabican

Awards
  • Established
No they lessen my grip, I feel more connected without them. I use wrist wraps though.

BigFish80

BigFish80

Awards
  • Established
No they lessen my grip, I feel more connected without them. I use wrist wraps though.

I have to agree here. As I said in a previous post, gloves just hinder gaining strength and overall toughness in the hands. However, there is a certain point where adding wrist straps is useful and effective at obtaining a better work out for stronger muscles....... you're forearms and hands will fail before your back or legs will. So with increased weight, staps should be used but only if needed to get an effective workout or if there are safety issues. If I saw someone in my gym doing 135lb power or hangcleans for reps with straps I'd smack them in the back of their head.

Simply put IMHO: STRAPS ARE OK SOMETIMES AND GLOVES SUCK ALL THE TIME (except for girls)

kokobeware2

Awards
  • Established
For years I used to work out with gloves because I felt like they gave me a better grip on the bar because of the fact that they kept my hands dryer.

But recently, about 2-3 weeks ago, I stopped using them and I love the feeling now. Gets the hands scarred up a bit but thats not big deal to me.

So yes or no to gloves?
i feel it takes the pressure of the weight off my hands almost like its making the weight lighter so i can go more.

Sirevzy

Awards
I wear gloves but because I get eczema on one hand quite a lot and it saves me tearing my hand to shreds, feel like I need to wear a T-shirt explaining it tho to save judgement at times :)

abformulations

abformulations

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Have too.

My wife loves a diesel man with nice soft hands.

Who's likes callus's? I hate it. And no it doesn't make u more of a man having them lol.

I sometimes like no gloves as well to change it up.

Joshlm69

Joshlm69

Awards
  • Established
I wear my callus' like battle scars.

My girlfriend now refers to her callus' as the same, I've trained her well

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I started with gloves but haven't worn them in a long while.

Grip has gotten stronger and i don't wear anything on my hands that smell like stinky sox.

tybolton

Awards
Yeah gloves for me, can't be rubbing my lady's skin with callous hands.
No doubt...been lifting for 30 years, and married for 25. Can't give the wife a back rub, or rub her anything else with shards and sandpaper. Come on Grasshoppers. Loved showing off the callouses when I was in my 20's, not so much now...To answer the OP's question, I've had the same Gold's Gym gloves for 15 years and use them every workout. They're falling apart and filled with holes, but I put them on every time I step in my gym. They've been there through too many PR's...Uncle T