Torn Bicep tendon

DMAC10

DMAC10

Awards
Hey guys, looking for some advice.

Just got back from the dr., and I have a torn right bicep. So decided not to have surgery( at my age ) so going to let it heal on its own.

Looking for any advice on home remedies to help the healing process. I know some of you have had the same thing happen, so just looking for ideas to help.

Currently wearing a neopren sleeve to keep it warm, increaseing my glutamine and arginine intake.

So any other ideas on what supplements or creams might aid in recovery????

acoz

acoz

Awards
Is it the tendon or a muscle tear ? Tendon needs surgical repair. The muscle can repair itself after a short layoff and you can learn self massage to help to alleviate the pain of lifting.:numbered:

DMAC10

DMAC10

Awards
Is it the tendon or a muscle tear ? Tendon needs surgical repair. The muscle can repair itself after a short layoff and you can learn self massage to help to alleviate the pain of lifting.:numbered:
My bad, the dr said torn bicep muscle( Not tendon), he said they call it either a (popeye muscle or a brachiale arm) I'm sure I spelled that wrong. LOL

The upper bicep has slid down to the middle, it looks funny, but I have a very nice peak LOL

What type of self massage, any place I could research and learn that, I'm going to try everything to get it to heal properly and quicker.

acoz

acoz

Awards
Expert Village self massage on your search engine will give you a good idea the techniques are simple and helpful if you can have your significant other do it when your away from the gym it helps a great deal. There are simple techniques in deep tissue as well just enter massage techniques on your search engine.:redeemerwhore:

DMAC10

DMAC10

Awards
Expert Village self massage on your search engine will give you a good idea the techniques are simple and helpful if you can have your significant other do it when your away from the gym it helps a great deal. There are simple techniques in deep tissue as well just enter massage techniques on your search engine.:redeemerwhore:

Thanks

Does anyone have any experience with the Cho-Pat Arm Brace Bicep/Tricep cuff?????

celc5

celc5

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I've never used the specific devises that you mentioned, but have used other Chopat products. They have been reliable in my experience.

I've tried multiple triceps cuffs, but unfortunately, never found any to be very effective. Just cumbersome and annoying to be honest.

If you've torn the muscle to the point where you have a "popeye" muscle, it doesn't recover. You just learn to substitute for the muscle that is no longer useful functionally. You might want to consider your overall activity level, because if I were in your shoes at 48, I'd get it repaired. From what I've seen (although very limited to about 2 or 3 biceps repairs), the recovery goes pretty smoothly.

DMAC10

DMAC10

Awards
I've never used the specific devises that you mentioned, but have used other Chopat products. They have been reliable in my experience.

I've tried multiple triceps cuffs, but unfortunately, never found any to be very effective. Just cumbersome and annoying to be honest.

If you've torn the muscle to the point where you have a "popeye" muscle, it doesn't recover. You just learn to substitute for the muscle that is no longer useful functionally. You might want to consider your overall activity level, because if I were in your shoes at 48, I'd get it repaired. From what I've seen (although very limited to about 2 or 3 biceps repairs), the recovery goes pretty smoothly.

Thanks for the info.

I still can't make my mind up on surgery or not. I've been trying to read everything I can on it. I'm very active in sports and I'm not ready to slow down just yet. Just hate to have so much down time for the surgery.

briancogs888

Awards
I doubt you need surgery. The brachialis lies under the bicep. You hit it pretty well when you do hammer curls. I would look to take some MSM or something of that nature.

celc5

celc5

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Thanks for the info.

I still can't make my mind up on surgery or not. I've been trying to read everything I can on it. I'm very active in sports and I'm not ready to slow down just yet. Just hate to have so much down time for the surgery.
If I were in your shoes, I would ask the doc if there would be a different prognosis for having the surgery now (IMO, about 1 month rest and 2 months rehab) or having it later. For example, would the surgery be just as effective if I tried to rehab right now, ended feeling that the tear is limiting, and then finally decide I want to get the repair 5 or 6 months down the road. See what I mean? Honestly, I dunno if that's even possible to do down the road???

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Dorian Yates pulled his coming into the Olympia. Goggle his name and bicep injury and what he has to say about it

CrownRoyal

CrownRoyal

Awards
  • Established
Damn, this is like one of my nightmares.. hah..

Sorry to hear bro; my question is, how exactly did it happen? What exercise(s) were you performing? And what did it feel like when it happened (assuming it happened immediately)?

DMAC10

DMAC10

Awards
Damn, this is like one of my nightmares.. hah..

Sorry to hear bro; my question is, how exactly did it happen? What exercise(s) were you performing? And what did it feel like when it happened (assuming it happened immediately)?
Actually it was a 2 phase injury.

That morning I was doing Preacher curls with a ez curl bar, on my 2nd rep, it felt like someone stabbed me in the front of my shoulder, I immediately stopped doing the preacher curls. Went ahead and done some T-Bar hammer curls and finished up with con. curls. A little sore but nothing major. That night during my volleyball match I had to really cut a spike to avoid being block and this time it hurt even worse, my whole arm went numb. I thought I had hurt my rotator cuff. So when I got home and was in the shower , I noticed that the bicep had fallen on my right arm. So I guess I tore it some in the morning and finished it off in the evening.

I've been wearing a neoprene sleeve on it, just to keep it warm and keep swelling down, Massageing it at night while watching T.V. and being putting sport cream on it and sleeping with a basketball shooter sleve on it. This keeps it warm and compressed. I'm going to continue with this treatment for a couple of weeks and see where it gets me. Just going to take time.

I'm going to try and start lifting again next week for everything except the right bicep, depends on the comfort level.

Done squats this morning on my powertec m/c and had no trouble with that.

Thanks for commenting , and let me know if you have any more questions.

SoCo4Fun

SoCo4Fun

Awards
  • Established
Actually it was a 2 phase injury.

That morning I was doing Preacher curls with a ez curl bar, on my 2nd rep, it felt like someone stabbed me in the front of my shoulder, I immediately stopped doing the preacher curls. Went ahead and done some T-Bar hammer curls and finished up with con. curls. A little sore but nothing major. That night during my volleyball match I had to really cut a spike to avoid being block and this time it hurt even worse, my whole arm went numb. I thought I had hurt my rotator cuff. So when I got home and was in the shower , I noticed that the bicep had fallen on my right arm. So I guess I tore it some in the morning and finished it off in the evening.

I've been wearing a neoprene sleeve on it, just to keep it warm and keep swelling down, Massageing it at night while watching T.V. and being putting sport cream on it and sleeping with a basketball shooter sleve on it. This keeps it warm and compressed. I'm going to continue with this treatment for a couple of weeks and see where it gets me. Just going to take time.

I'm going to try and start lifting again next week for everything except the right bicep, depends on the comfort level.

Done squats this morning on my powertec m/c and had no trouble with that.

Thanks for commenting , and let me know if you have any more questions.

Sounds very similar to what I did last April (or was it may?). Arm wrestling my brother caused some pain in my shoulder...then a couple days later I was out in the street pulling my sled and I started getting really sharp pain in my right shoulder...I swore I tore something in my rotator cuff...My arm hurt so bad I couldn't unload the weights from my sled...went to the ER and the doc told me I had a partial (thank god!) tear in the proximal end of my right bicep...a lot of down time...that's what it took for me...thankfully mine was a partial tear so I didn't need sugery...

DMAC10

DMAC10

Awards
I'm hopeing I don't need surgery, I will live with the popeye bicep look. Just want to try and avoid the knife if I can. Usually after surgery I develope athritis real bad in that joint. ( knee, ankle, elbow, fingers) too many to list . LOL

SoCo4Fun

SoCo4Fun

Awards
  • Established
Good luck man...A guy I used to work out with had a tear at the distal end and he said recovery was hell...You may want to check out some of the threads in the IGF-1/GH area....pumbertot and a few other guys did some awesome work with testing out different peptides for muscle tear recovery...real cutting edge stuff...as a matter of fact I'll see what I can find for you and post it up...

DMAC10

DMAC10

Awards
Thanks for the link
I read the post, not sure about what some of the stuff was they used. Not to keen on useing needles. Going to continue to do research on supplements to improve healing.

SoCo4Fun

SoCo4Fun

Awards
  • Established
They are talking about growth hormone secretegogues and various other peptides...slin pins really are a very very easy shot...