Lagging Upper Body on Cycle

Buck

Awards
Hey everyone. I seem to be blessed in the lower body area and cursed in the upper body.

My legs, quads, hamstrings, calves are doing just great. But I am not seeing the same sort of development in my chest, back, arms.

Is it a good idea to 'slow' down on lower body and spend more time on upper body? Right now I am doing a fullbody routine on M,W,F and don't feel like I am doing any more in lower body than I am in upper body, but my upper body just isn't growing like I want it to.

Does anyone have a good routine that will cause my upper body to explode or at least catch up to my lower?

Thanks!

ManBeast

ManBeast

Awards
  • Established

DarCSA

Awards
Thanks MB I was just about to say the same thing. GVT seems to be great for people while on cycle and should help your lagging body parts. Later

pjorstad

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Im bottom heavy like you and i was very tempted to stop all leg worktoo but then i decided that it would probably hurt me not help me for many reasons.

sage

sage

Awards
  • Established
not a big fan of full body/circuit traing. ExBanEater had a thread about HST, a on/off/on/off/on full body routine...

http://www.bdcnutrition.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1027

just not a big fan of couple of sets for every bodypart. I esp. dont like the idea of a fullbody when one feels that a certain bodypart or region is lagging behind another. Priority training should be put to use. you do not have to change up drastically into a 5 day split or nothing however, think about adjusting the idea of a full body workout everytime (M/W/F for you) to something like
Monday: upperbody (lets say focusing on chest/shoulders/tris)
Wed: lowerbody
Friday: upperbody (this time, focusing on back/bis/traps)

Sage

pjorstad

Banned
Awards
  • Established
That doesn't work sage. Ive been doing that on cycleand off cycle and doesn't help. Like i said im tempted to stop working legs ON cycle, but when off start working them again. Im thinking that my body will benefit from less stress provided from stimulatinglarge mucle groups and transfer that energy to stimulating my uppper body more frequently.

Buck

Awards
New Routine Last Night

Well I took your advice and started working in GVT into my routine. Althought I didn't do the full 10 sets of 10 reps, I figured I would work up slow to this and did 5 sets of 10 reps and will add a set each new workout until I get to 10. I am also having to adjust the weight down because at 5 sets last night I was dying.

Old Full Body Workout was 3 sets pyramid 10,8,6 reps for each body part M,W,F.

New Full body split is this:
M - Lower Body 5 sets 10 reps
T - Upper Body 5 sets 10 reps
W - off
T - Lower Body 6 sets 10 reps
F - Upper Body 6 sets 10 reps
S - off
S - off

I can say that my legs were screaming last night. I used the weight I normally use on my 10 rep set for the Full Body workout. If I am going to get this up to 10 sets quickly I am going to have to adjust my wieghts down.

I have decided to keep my leg routines in the mix just not do as many exercises. Although it may end up giving me huge legs, I am hoping that the benefits of squats and deadlifts will outweigh that for the rest of my body.

My legs have a good dull throb in them today from last nights workout.

Now my next question on GVT is: What am I missing? I seem to remember there was another set of execises that were done to 6 sets. Gonna have to read up on GVT again to see what else I need to add in there.

Thanks!

sage

sage

Awards
  • Established
the link manbeast gave should give you all the proper answers to the exericses you would need. Be creative too. you do not have to stick with the ones laid out in the article. for instance, if you feel like being a beast one day on leg day....go squats 10 sets of 10reps with 10set/10reps of deadlifts......ouch