Upper/ Inner chest with over developed front delts

ROLLBAR

Awards
I started doing DB presses on the medicine ball arching my back and dropping shoulders. It seems to help a little.

I also warm up the area alot to loosen it up.

Any other Ideas out there?

russy_russ

Awards
  • Established
It is impossible to fire this region specifically. And a ~10-20 degree incline only fires an insignificant amount more fibers in the upper 'region' at the clavicular origin than over a flat bench. Look up EMG research on the pectoralis major.

Future

I like inclines from different angles along with incline flyes. I also do flyes on the ball with cables. Also consider high rep bench pressing to the neck.

MMAMONSTER19

Awards
  • Established
I dont understand what your asking you trying to find out how to build your upper chest more? your delts more? what is it?

ROLLBAR

Awards
I dont understand what your asking you trying to find out how to build your upper chest more? your delts more? what is it?

My front and side delts are pretty big, over-developed in comparison to the rear delts and upper chest. Benching 4 plates for a couple of years improperly doesnt help.
What do you guys think about holding DB's together (palms facing eachother) on a flat bench and pressing from bottom to 3/4 way up.

russy_russ

Awards
  • Established
My front and side delts are pretty big, over-developed in comparison to the rear delts and upper chest. Benching 4 plates for a couple of years improperly doesnt help.
What do you guys think about holding DB's together (palms facing eachother) on a flat bench and pressing from bottom to 3/4 way up.
It is impossible to fire this region specifically. And a ~10-20 degree incline only fires an insignificant amount more fibers in the upper 'region' at the clavicular origin than over a flat bench. Look up EMG research on the pectoralis major.
Seriously, do some research or you can take advice from some people that probably have never taken any anatomy or exercise physiology classes in their life and believe everything they read in a fitness magazine to be true.

futurepilot

Awards
  • Established
Seriously, do some research or you can take advice from some people that probably have never taken any anatomy or exercise physiology classes in their life and believe everything they read in a fitness magazine to be true.
You mean the real world experience of this forum is useless and we should just go research things for ourselves? Man, that will save me alot of time. Here I was thinking I was helping people by sharing my 9+ years of experience, when this whole time I could have just told people to 'go research'. Thanks dudesicle, your my hero.:thumbsup:

futurepilot

Awards
  • Established
I started doing DB presses on the medicine ball arching my back and dropping shoulders. It seems to help a little.

I also warm up the area alot to loosen it up.

Any other Ideas out there?
Do extra/specific exercises for your rear delts, and do 30-45degree DB press, twisting them as you press. Palm facing at the top, palm's at a 45 to your body at the bottom.

russy_russ

Awards
  • Established
You mean the real world experience of this forum is useless and we should just go research things for oursevles? Man, that will save me alot of time. Here I was thinking I was helping people by sharing my 9+ years of experience, when this whole time I could have just told people to 'go research'. Thanks dudesicle, your my hero.:thumbsup:
No prob. I guess science has it all wrong, because strength & conditioning coaches for collegiate and professional with exercise physiology degrees don't know anything and their knowledge doesn't perform in the athletes they train. :thumbsup:
5+ years of training experience and a bachelor of science degree in exercise science must not mean anything, as my advice isn't correct.

Just because it's something you or someone else may not agree with doesn't mean it isn't correct.
And I instructed him to do research after explaining that bit of information to him. I do not like repeating myself..

CHAPS

Awards
  • Established
A couple things:

-stop doing shoulder presses
-look up scapular stabilization exercises (y's,w's,t's) and start doing them
-do rows twice a week making sure to keep your scapula retracted throughout the entire movement
-stretch your chest,shoulder and biceps for 60-90 seconds

Don't worry about your shoulders losing size doing chest alone with be enough to keep size on them and u can still do lateral raises and train your rear delts, just no presses.

Also look into:

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance_bodybuilding/top_priority_for_lower_traps

Follow my advice, get your shoulder to pull back more and improve your posture and you'll notice that hey you feel presses in your chest all of a sudden and not in your delts because you body is in proper alignment.

raginfcktard

raginfcktard

Awards
  • Established
A couple things:

-stop doing shoulder presses
-look up scapular stabilization exercises (y's,w's,t's) and start doing them
-do rows twice a week making sure to keep your scapula retracted throughout the entire movement
-stretch your chest,shoulder and biceps for 60-90 seconds

Don't worry about your shoulders losing size doing chest alone with be enough to keep size on them and u can still do lateral raises and train your rear delts, just no presses.

Also look into:

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance_bodybuilding/top_priority_for_lower_traps

Follow my advice, get your shoulder to pull back more and improve your posture and you'll notice that hey you feel presses in your chest all of a sudden and not in your delts because you body is in proper alignment.
:bling:....mans right. reps

CHAPS

Awards
  • Established
Lovin your work CHAPS!
Thanks buddy, i've employed this myself and noticed drastic changes such as :

-my rib cage shape (lengthened), i thought i had more lower ab fat then i really did so my stomach is more pulled in all the time
-my upper back is flater and i literally look an inch taller
-my upper back thickness has increased tremendously
-my presses have been going up
-my rowing strength has improved drastically
-my stability during pressing movements is amazingly improved
-i can REALLY feel my chest working now during pressing movements
-my chest (my weakest body part) has improved incredibly both in size and strength (straight arm pullovers have also helped this)

-I sleep better and don't get the kinks in my neck like i used to because i'm in proper alignment
-I no longer have shoulder pain from one arm overhead tricep extensions (improper alignment can mean shoulder impingement)

Oh and one other thing, stop doing standard shrugs, an imbalance between upper trap and lower trap strength is very common, so focus on kelso and overhead shrugs. :thumbsup:

ROLLBAR

Awards
Yeah....can, uhh.... I work out with you, I told everybody I know to tell me to pull my shoulders back when I'm not.

As a salesman I slunch over to talk to people, you know, make em' more comfortable.**** that ****....no more.

I'm takin Mr. California next year, thanks

Joshua86

Awards
  • Established
Dude, I've taken plenty of anatomy and physiology classes, exercise physiology, motor control, ect.. But that doesn't make me some kind of authority on bodybuilding just because I know quite a bit about how the body works. It does give you an edge, of course, but as I recall, they didn't hit bodybuilding much in my anatomy classes or physiology classes (15 credit hours worth of just those devilish classes, so yeah, I've been there), and a lot of the stuff they taught me in exercise physiology wouldn't fly if you were talking to an experienced bodybuilder. And classes like motor control didn't help me improve on my lifts just because we learned the mathematics behind how the body moves.

So yeah, you really can't pull that card, since you don't "have" to know that stuff to build a quality physique. For instance, you have to know how to do a deadlift or squat the correct way for it to be effective, but you don't have to know all of the mechanics and physics behind it, or what's going on at a microscopic level for those lifts to be effective.

And for the record, I agree that fitness magazines are mostly crap. Their primary focus is selling products. Best to learn from forums such as these, research articles, and personal trail and error.

b unit

b unit

Awards
  • Established
what about the people who have never taken a class nor cared too much to read a fitness mag however have built an impressive physique on hitting it right in the gym and just use common sense? how does their advice stack up?

in my 19 years lifting weights i've seen plenty of classroom experts, physiotherapists, medical doctors, even "qualified" personal trainers who really didn't have a friggin clue inside the weight room with physiques to match that "expertise".

Last edited:

russy_russ

Awards
  • Established
Dude, I've taken plenty of anatomy and physiology classes, exercise physiology, motor control, ect.. But that doesn't make me some kind of authority on bodybuilding just because I know quite a bit about how the body works. It does give you an edge, of course, but as I recall, they didn't hit bodybuilding much in my anatomy classes or physiology classes (15 credit hours worth of just those devilish classes, so yeah, I've been there), and a lot of the stuff they taught me in exercise physiology wouldn't fly if you were talking to an experienced bodybuilder. And classes like motor control didn't help me improve on my lifts just because we learned the mathematics behind how the body moves.

So yeah, you really can't pull that card, since you don't "have" to know that stuff to build a quality physique. For instance, you have to know how to do a deadlift or squat the correct way for it to be effective, but you don't have to know all of the mechanics and physics behind it, or what's going on at a microscopic level for those lifts to be effective.

And for the record, I agree that fitness magazines are mostly crap. Their primary focus is selling products. Best to learn from forums such as these, research articles, and personal trail and error.
I never said you need a degree to learn how to lift weights. However, there are a lot of aspects you get from a degree that the majority of weight lifters do not know without it. I was simply stating that EMG research on the pectoralis major strong supports the issue with flat vs incline vs decline.

russy_russ

Awards
  • Established
what about the people who have never taken a class nor cared too much to read a fitness mag however have built an impressive physique on hitting it right in the gym and just use common sense? how does their advice stack up?

in my 19 years lifting weights i've seen plenty of classroom experts, physiotherapists, medical doctors, even "qualified" personal trainers who really didn't have a friggin clue inside the weight room with physiques to match that "expertise".
I agree that some 'qualified' people do not know much 'inside the weight room'. It's also similar to a mechanic.. You don't need to go to school to learn how an engine works (assembly etc..) or you can go to school to learn how to do it.

Some people can go to the gym for years and still not have a half of a clue on what to do. And, some learn very quickly. School gives a further understanding to exercise other than going to the gym and pumping iron and taking months / years to figure out what works best.