High volume vs high Intensity, questions.

B

BoyFromAus

Awards
  • Established
from what I understand, high volume is where the total value
of reps X weights is very high. High intensity on the other hand is where you do a lot in a limited amount of time.

But in terms of outcome, can they both be combined to do a routine which can boost strength-endurance and fitness? And as it is, which one is better for boosting strength-endurance?

From the routines which i've seen, high volume routines seem to be quite a marathon.

E.g Hugo Rivera's guide has things such as
Calve raises 14x10 (1 min rest)
Bench Press 8x10 (1 min rest)
Squats 8x10 (2 min rest)

whereas, from what i've seen in High Intensity routines, it seems to be more like:

Pull ups 4xfailure supersetted by Dips 4xfailure (1 min rest)

Bench Press 4x10 supersetted by Bent over rows 4x10 (1 min rest)

cheers,

Aggravated

Aggravated

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Volume training works best for me, but I believe that high intensity has it's place. If you want overall fitness, strength, and muscle definition, then you aren't going to be able to get by on one of those by itself. You are most likely going to have to more high intensity/cardio to achieve those results. Keep in mind this may not be the best way to build mass, but you still can, slowly.

Honestly, just train like an athlete if you want to be well rounded.

jamesb2525

jamesb2525

Awards
Volume training works best for me also but I tend to go with the high intensity workouts more around the summer time

B

BoyFromAus

Awards
  • Established
Volume training works best for me, but I believe that high intensity has it's place. If you want overall fitness, strength, and muscle definition, then you aren't going to be able to get by on one of those by itself. You are most likely going to have to more high intensity/cardio to achieve those results. Keep in mind this may not be the best way to build mass, but you still can, slowly.

Honestly, just train like an athlete if you want to be well rounded.
thanks man.
Yea my objective is to lose body fat but more importantly to improve fitness, breathing ability and strength-endurance. I'm not concerned about muscle size for now as i'll be doing a whole bulking phase in Winter time (June - August for us).

what would you say is the best type of weight training to achieve that?

i'm already doing cardio, Jogging at 7 - 8 mph. Currently i can only do about 1 mile at that speed (unfit as hell) but i'm working on it.

In terms of weight training, should I mainly be focusing on a lot of supersets and on a hi rep range?