ZMA - why do I need it and can I just "make" my own for cheaper?

TheNinja

TheNinja

Awards
  • Established
I've never tried ZMA before, but I hear a lot of people here hype it up as a before bed supplement. I feel I'm missing that part of my diet/supp as I usually just have protein and a few fish oils before bed. I don't need help sleeping so I don't care about that part of it. I want the strength/recovery portion of it. That being said, why can't I just buy Zinc, Magnesium, and some B6 and just take them in the proper doses? It would probably be cheaper (I already have 2 bottles of 60mg zinc tablets anyway).

Thanks guys

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
The main reason people take ZMA is that the specific blend has been tested and has clinical evidence, but supplementing with zinc and magnesium is a good idea anyway.

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
I've never tried ZMA before, but I hear a lot of people here hype it up as a before bed supplement. I feel I'm missing that part of my diet/supp as I usually just have protein and a few fish oils before bed. I don't need help sleeping so I don't care about that part of it. I want the strength/recovery portion of it. That being said, why can't I just buy Zinc, Magnesium, and some B6 and just take them in the proper doses? It would probably be cheaper (I already have 2 bottles of 60mg zinc tablets anyway).

Thanks guys
The blends of ZMA come in different forms, there's Zinc, Zinc Chelate, Zinc Metho-bla-blah, etc.... you get the idea. One of my friends said he does not take ZMA b/c he claims 'it dosen't put on as much weight as Superdrol' uh, which....is true....but its more of a supplement that works in the background.

rampage jackson

rampage jackson

Awards
  • Established
Not to shill, but Hypertest has the ZMA complex in it, along with a host of other test/libido boosters including Nettle Root, Trib, and several others. Really good nighttime product IMO...woke up with wood for the better part of the time I was on it.

Vitruvian

Vitruvian

O.G. Appnut
Awards
  • Established
I've heard good things about HyperTest, but have never used. ZMA is a worthwhile addition, due to it's low cost. Reaper is right.... not a product that you know is obviously working in the short term, but a lot of users report improvements.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Improved sleep makes it a solid buy. Anything else is just a plus.

CHAPS

Awards
  • Established
ZMA is a necessity for me, it's been proven to boost your test levels 30%, and most of us are low on zinc anyway, ZMA+Animal Pak is what i use for all my vitamins and minerals. And ya i'd stick with ZMA because it's the forms of the minerals zinc and magnesium aspartate are superior to chelate and the vitamin b6 is just i there to enhance absorption even further.

jjohn

jjohn

Awards
  • Established
Buy the real ZMA. You won't miss your shot. And don't use calcium with it. It competes for absorbtion.

TheNinja

TheNinja

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the feedback guys. I guess I'm just trying to prioritize my supplments so I don't spend a ton of cash on stuff I don't need. On an "importance scale" I of 1 to 10 where would you rank ZMA anyway? As important as whey or as minute as something like a fat burner for a marathon runner? I will definitely check into ZMA though.

CHAPS

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the feedback guys. I guess I'm just trying to prioritize my supplments so I don't spend a ton of cash on stuff I don't need. On an "importance scale" I of 1 to 10 where would you rank ZMA anyway? As important as whey or as minute as something like a fat burner for a marathon runner? I will definitely check into ZMA though.
Up there with way, don't look at it as a test booster, look at it as part of your mineral requirements. You can get it cheap in 180 cap bottles, from optimum nutrition, bulk nutrition etc

Palo Alto Labs

Palo Alto Labs

Dave
Awards
  • Established
ZMA is great and you can get it for like $15 for 2 months
http://www.nutraplanet.com/search?query=zma

Especially on nights when i only get 4-6 hours of sleep, I wake up much more refreshed. ZMA + 8 hours of sleep.. wow. its a indescribeable euphoria... def worth the $$ IMO

jjohn

jjohn

Awards
  • Established
I've had a great experience with Prolab's version. I had no success with Ultimate Nutrition's. I have no idea why, as they seem to be the same. But if you have to choose, I would opt for Prolab's. Definetly a must if you are on stims, have a hard time sleeping. (like I used to) ZMA will increase as your test desreases when you are training regularly. It will support your test. levels.

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I usually just take 50mg of zinc gluconate before bed.

hardestgainer

hardestgainer

Awards
  • Established
I've had a great experience with Prolab's version. I had no success with Ultimate Nutrition's. I have no idea why, as they seem to be the same. But if you have to choose, I would opt for Prolab's. Definetly a must if you are on stims, have a hard time sleeping. (like I used to) ZMA will increase as your test desreases when you are training regularly. It will support your test. levels.
if ur looking to get some sleep on stims gaba is the way to go!

The Graduate

Awards
ZMA as a generic supplement is pretty cheap but you can certainly make your own. ZMA is trademarked (not patented as some would like you to believe) to contain Zinc-monomethione, Mag aspartate and vit B6, if you can buy them seperatly for cheaper then do. BTW its the magnesium that helps with the sleeping aspect of ZMA.

As for it increasing test by 30%, i highly doubt it, certainly not in anyone that has a remotly varied diet!

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
ZMA as a generic supplement is pretty cheap but you can certainly make your own. ZMA is trademarked (not patented as some would like you to believe) to contain Zinc-monomethione, Mag aspartate and vit B6, if you can buy them seperatly for cheaper then do. BTW its the magnesium that helps with the sleeping aspect of ZMA.

As for it increasing test by 30%, i highly doubt it, certainly not in anyone that has a remotly varied diet!
Zinc monomethione has crappy oral bioavailability. Stick with the blends using Zinc Arginate.