Best supplements for social anxiety?

Flaw

Flaw

Awards
  • Established
I've used phenibut and it works really well but tolerance is a quick issue with it. Have used picamilon but it's effects are more similar to cannabis to me. I've noticed some decent effects with a ALCAR,Taurine,Tyrosine mix but looking for something I can take on a regular basis without fast tolerance. I'm gonna try some powerfull to see what enhancing dopamine does but i'm also looking for some other suggestions. thanks

poison

poison

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Kavakava (kavaking brand)
l-theanine

LJ57

LJ57

Awards
  • Established
adaptogenic herbs like ashwagandha or rhodiola could be helpful...also magneisum, holy basil, and relora might be worth looking into.

CHAPS

Awards
  • Established
I agree with all of the suggstions, also gaba and PowerFull.

Flaw

Flaw

Awards
  • Established
justreading

justreading

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Have any suggestions on some potent kava capsules?
I'm the opposite, uppers like venom take my anxiety away the best. Just pure energy so you can't even worry about anxiety (yes this is rare so don't take this as a sugestion)

Zoolander

Awards
re. phenibut......yes the body build tolerance to it real quick. If you want to keep taking it then increase the dose by roughly 20-25% to get an effect.

Zoolander

Awards
what about beta-blockers? Have you tried them?

I would stay away from benzos unless absolutely needed.

DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
PAXIL. :D At least if it is a serious issue.

Adams

Zoolander

Awards
warning...most central nervous system depressants will, if taken for considerable amounts of time, result in weight gain and from I gather....these forums seem to be about get lean and staying trim

DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
warning...most central nervous system depressants will, if taken for considerable amounts of time, result in weight gain and from I gather....these forums seem to be about get lean and staying trim
Agreed, but ones underlying phsychological issue is far greater an issue than getting lean. That is why the disclaimer about being a serious issue was on there. This forums number one reason is to stay safe.

Adams

Mach .78

Mach .78

Awards
  • Established
Maca, I'll walk up and talk to anyone while taking it.

Flaw

Flaw

Awards
  • Established
Maca, I'll walk up and talk to anyone while taking it.
That's what i'm looking for. Need to be more social. I've lost my fire. Life,depression, ext.. has really taken the life out of me. If I can get myself going and actually want to talk to people the rest will take it's course.

I'm gonna be starting a pharm grade tribulus and avena next week. Will these do the same things as maca?

motiv8er

motiv8er

Awards
  • Established
That's what i'm looking for. Need to be more social. I've lost my fire. Life,depression, ext.. has really taken the life out of me. If I can get myself going and actually want to talk to people the rest will take it's course.

I'm gonna be starting a pharm grade tribulus and avena next week. Will these do the same things as maca?
Have you thought about doign some volunteer work? Habitat For Humanity is a great way to meet people, lots of girlies too.

WannaBeHulk

WannaBeHulk

rollin' on dubs!
Awards
  • Established
lack of social interaction is what likely got you here in the first place and thats huge that you realize this. depression and not much appreciation for life are common effects for those who isolate themselves from the world. bodybuilding is a demanding, selfish lifestyle so this result isnt uncommon. do you have friends or family near you that you can connect more with?

as far as supps go, i have to agree with an above poster in that stims like venom and stim x make me wanna talk to everybody. the extreme energy and focus has me telling everybody whats on my mind no matter how well i know them.

WannaBeHulk

WannaBeHulk

rollin' on dubs!
Awards
  • Established
Have you thought about doign some volunteer work? Habitat For Humanity is a great way to meet people, lots of girlies too.
that is a really good idea! yes, he can meet people (especially the ladies) there and feel good about himself knowing he is helping others. this will send a sense of reward to the brain to make you feel better. more importantly, it will keep you busy and distracted from thinking about personal problems so they will not be as important to you. i gotta 2nd this option. definately worth a shot.

Flaw

Flaw

Awards
  • Established
hahah.. i don't mean i'm not around people all the time. I'm a personal trainer! I don't need to get myself "out there" so to speak. Social anxiety is just something I've delt with my whole life. I got into this field to help me with social skills. It has helped a lot but it doesn't mean my social anxieties go away. That will always remain. I am active in church as well. Because i'm in such a social environment my stress levels are high at all times. It's something you wouldn't quite get unless you have social anxieties. I'm just trying to find some other supplements to help me deal better. That is all! I don't have problems with girls or getting attention. I get too much of it! I want to deal with it better.

WannaBeHulk

WannaBeHulk

rollin' on dubs!
Awards
  • Established
oh, ok. sorry i misinterpreted your problem. i wouldnt depend on a supplement for this cause, these kind of skills can easily be developed. once you have great social skills, the anxiety will disappear.

theoretically speaking, anything that increases GABA production will help you (neurobalance, phenibut, or some other GABA agonist. benzos and alcohol achieve this but are not your safest options). if its that big of a problem, ask your doc to write a prescription for you.

motiv8er

motiv8er

Awards
  • Established
hahah.. i don't mean i'm not around people all the time. I'm a personal trainer! I don't need to get myself "out there" so to speak. Social anxiety is just something I've delt with my whole life. I got into this field to help me with social skills. It has helped a lot but it doesn't mean my social anxieties go away. That will always remain. I am active in church as well. Because i'm in such a social environment my stress levels are high at all times. It's something you wouldn't quite get unless you have social anxieties. I'm just trying to find some other supplements to help me deal better. That is all! I don't have problems with girls or getting attention. I get too much of it! I want to deal with it better.
I think I get it. I have a hard time going from the computer to groups of people. Kinda like my brain has to be reprogrammed. I dont believe it is a one-way approach. The supps may help you feel more sociable; but they are not addressing what makes you feel it. You may wanna talk to a therapist. May be more helpful in the long run than fixing* it with OTC stuff.

Trust me, years of therapy dont lie. ;)

Flaw

Flaw

Awards
  • Established
theoretically speaking, anything that increases GABA production will help you (neurobalance, phenibut, or some other GABA agonist. benzos and alcohol achieve this but are not your safest options). if its that big of a problem, ask your doc to write a prescription for you.
Ohh believe me when I discovered alcohol at age 16 it truly was the best thing on earth. I used it for a good solid couple years before its effects started to fade out. It made me social and I contribute alcohol to every girl I've hooked up with or became close to. The problem is it don't work anymore and 2 it just makes me sick even after 2 drinks. I used it socially but wasn't a alcoholic. Alcohol truly is the best social anxiety drug out there. It's also one of the worst for your physical and mental health. Never tried benzo's. Possible risk of withdrawl seizures with these I believe? Phenibut was the best thing i've tried but again the tolerance issue hits fast. I'll probably cycle neurobalance one of these days. Was just checking to see what has worked well for other people.

p951

p951

Awards
I would go with a few light beers. Amstel Light, Heineken Light and Beck's Light are all good tasting beers with low calories + they take the edge off after a tough day of work. Xanax (.5 mg) is also an option. This works awesome and can cure almost any anxiety. However, I suppose you would need a prescription for this. Have you tried Buspar. Buspar is by prescription only, but less regulated in the U.S. You can find Buspar at most overseas pharmacies as it is not a controlled substance here in the states. If you have insurance, just go to your doc and tell him you sweat alot and feel anxious at your job and when talking to people. He will probably give you a benzo prescript. and it shouldn't cost more than $30. You are good to go.

evan

evan

Awards
  • Established
NON-SUPPLEMENT options are cognitive Behavioral therapy(VERY EFFEctive for this, far higher success then most drus ) and hypnosis has recently become popular again. Honestly the drug route is very unproven as brain science is very shaky when dealin with matters of neuro psychology. My father did neurosciene research at princeton(PHD Level, worked under one of the pioneers, and is published himself) and he has always told me they just only know so much. don't let people convince you that sciecne has mastered neuropsycholgy, I assure you they havent

good luck btw and it's always good to remember nobody's starin at you they're to busy worrying about their own miserable lives(sarcasm)

AnonyMoose

AnonyMoose

Awards
  • Established
I've used phenibut and it works really well but tolerance is a quick issue with it. Have used picamilon but it's effects are more similar to cannabis to me. I've noticed some decent effects with a ALCAR,Taurine,Tyrosine mix but looking for something I can take on a regular basis without fast tolerance. I'm gonna try some powerfull to see what enhancing dopamine does but i'm also looking for some other suggestions. thanks
alchohol

Flaw

Flaw

Awards
  • Established
Honestly the drug route is very unproven as brain science is very shaky when dealin with matters of neuro psychology. My father did neurosciene research at princeton(PHD Level, worked under one of the pioneers, and is published himself) and he has always told me they just only know so much. don't let people convince you that sciecne has mastered neuropsycholgy, I assure you they havent

good luck btw and it's always good to remember nobody's starin at you they're to busy worrying about their own miserable lives(sarcasm)
I 100% agree. Drugs are what make people worse and keep em coming back. That's how the medical community "go" round. I'm not trying to go the prescription drug route. I'm officially done going to the dr's office. I'm dealing and was just looking for a occasional edge. I know nothing will work better then life's lessons. confidence has helped out a lot and as I continue to grow as a person I know it will get better.

Flaw

Flaw

Awards
  • Established
Like i said in my other post. Without a doubt alcohol is the best social anxiety drug out there. It's effects don't work on me anymore though unfortunatly. I end up getting more nervous after 2 drinks. Funny how it's effects are reversed now. I'm cool with 1 or 2. Not any more.

Flaw

Flaw

Awards
  • Established
My advice:

STAY THE **** AWAY FROM ALCOHOL!!

STAY THE **** AWAY FROM BENZOS!!

These are the only two drugs that can KILL when withdrawing.
I have had alcohol induced withdrawl seizures years ago. Alcohol is not joke! I believe benzo's can have the same effects. Some good advice there!

wheels

Awards
  • Established
1/2 a gallion of southern comfort

Flaw

Flaw

Awards
  • Established
So I told you what not to do, let me suggest something you can do. I would do a search for herbs and anxiety. Peppermint sometimes works for me.
I bought some kava kava tea for tonight. Feel slightly relaxed but I took 2 teaspoons of magesium citrate in hot water and that really calmed me down tonight. For some reason i've been having panic attacks this week and today it reached it's peak.

All I can say is that I think a lot of my anxiety can be related to post alcohol abuse. I used it for social anxiety in the past. I wasn't a alcoholic per say but I used it socially quite often. I don't drink any more then a few drinks due to the seizure scare but I really shouldn't drink at all. I guess it's hard when there's nothing else to do but go to the bar.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Nothign can replace social skills. Make it your goal to meet people. Go to bars just to meet people. not drink. When your in the grocery store shoopping just strike up a conversation , even in the gym, now dont get me wrong The gym is for training and not ****ing off, but like before and after you get into the Zone and possibly between sets if you see a cutie -llol but stay focused in the gym,.....Dude no drug can replace social skills... Do what it takes get a job checking out people at a video store...turn red, feel embarssed , sweat pouring from your face,in front of a crowd and there all staring at you, happened to me many times at my video store job I worked for four and a half years, would sweat and turn beet red , lol but got social skills.take a public speaking class, I have done these and yes Ive gone though some hard moments then but guess what Its only a skill you build. You only get better with practice.practice my man

motiv8er

motiv8er

Awards
  • Established
I bought some kava kava tea for tonight. Feel slightly relaxed but I took 2 teaspoons of magesium citrate in hot water and that really calmed me down tonight. For some reason i've been having panic attacks this week and today it reached it's peak.

All I can say is that I think a lot of my anxiety can be related to post alcohol abuse. I used it for social anxiety in the past. I wasn't a alcoholic per say but I used it socially quite often. I don't drink any more then a few drinks due to the seizure scare but I really shouldn't drink at all. I guess it's hard when there's nothing else to do but go to the bar.
I think you need to go chill with a professional instead of asking meatheads for help. I have been for years. I havent killed myself or anyone else yet. (That I have been forced to admit too!)

BigTom

Awards
I was going to attempt to be funny and say cocaine.
But that's a REAL BAD IDEA.
All of this is a bad idea. Deal with life natually. If you're shy, use your brain to overcome that fear. Work thru it .

If you have to get ****ed up to have a good time....you got serious problems. Substance abuse always starts out as... a couple a beers. Then in 5,10 or 20 years it kills ya.

Done, off soap box.:rant:

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Nothign can replace social skills. Make it your goal to meet people. Go to bars just to meet people. not drink. When your in the grocery store shoopping just strike up a conversation , even in the gym, now dont get me wrong The gym is for training and not ****ing off, but like before and after you get into the Zone and possibly between sets if you see a cutie -llol but stay focused in the gym,.....Dude no drug can replace social skills... Do what it takes get a job checking out people at a video store...turn red, feel embarssed , sweat pouring from your face,in front of a crowd and there all staring at you, happened to me many times at my video store job I worked for four and a half years, would sweat and turn beet red , lol but got social skills.take a public speaking class, I have done these and yes Ive gone though some hard moments then but guess what Its only a skill you build. You only get better with practice.practice my man
Once you know you have your mind and thats your most powerful tool available. Like the saying goes Get your mind right..Theres a lot of truth in this saying.:djparty:

Then I think supplements can be good for you and fun like Alcar which is good for memory, short and long term, Fat Oxiadation, Alzehemiers, and just an all around good supplement.

evan

evan

Awards
  • Established
PURELY annecdotal but i have been using posieden an have a similar situation to yourself, and i absolutley love it, no stim's in it either which to me is such a plus, i don't feel drugged up at all like on ritalin(adhd) i just feel like a happier less anxious version of myself, and the diffrence is not subtle in the least, I don't feel high or low i just feel me(insert joke here)

evan

evan

Awards
  • Established
On another note if you do seek help, avoid psychiatrist like the plauge, I would suggest a neurologist as they will generally apply a more multi-faceted approch. I know i will get bashed for saying this but psychiatry is just a step above pseudo-science in my opinion. They don't know the mechanisms behing the drugs the are feeding you work, and if they say they do they are either lying or basing their opinions of of outdated research.

Psych drugs are only useful during critical situations(lithium does help for bipolar, and the releif provided is worth the sides for ex.) but just be listening to you talk and the coherency of your statements, IN MY O.P.I.N.I.O.N, drugs are not needed, but therapy may help

good look, you seem like a pretty cool well adjusted guy to me:thumbsup:

Flaw

Flaw

Awards
  • Established
On another note if you do seek help, avoid psychiatrist like the plauge, I would suggest a neurologist as they will generally apply a more multi-faceted approch. I know i will get bashed for saying this but psychiatry is just a step above pseudo-science in my opinion. They don't know the mechanisms behing the drugs the are feeding you work, and if they say they do they are either lying or basing their opinions of of outdated research.

Psych drugs are only useful during critical situations(lithium does help for bipolar, and the releif provided is worth the sides for ex.) but just be listening to you talk and the coherency of your statements, IN MY O.P.I.N.I.O.N, drugs are not needed, but therapy may help

good look, you seem like a pretty cool well adjusted guy to me:thumbsup:
I'm not going to seek help. I've gone to a pychologist once and realized I just needed someone to talk to. Once I got it out I felt better and i've allowed myself to express myself more with friends then I have in the past and share my feelings. As a male we are taught by society that emotions are "bad". That's why so many guys go on rampages. Woman are looked as the emotional ones but atleast they talk about it and get it out. Most of us guys keep it in untill we do something stupid. I will never take prescription drugs. I've seen what they have done to a lot of my friends. It's NOT the solution.

evan

evan

Awards
  • Established
Like i said you seem fine to me, I am in a similar situation as yourself and like you said it gets better by just living life, by listenin to you, your already do the best thin possible by havin a job where you constantly interact with people, I think that offers far greater benefit then a supplement you will find on this board.

if you want a supp, i think you may really benefit from posiden by nimbus
i have been on it for a week for similar reasons and just feel a lot more comfortable in all situations

Force of Green

Force of Green

Awards
  • Established
I'm not going to seek help. I've gone to a pychologist once and realized I just needed someone to talk to. Once I got it out I felt better and i've allowed myself to express myself more with friends then I have in the past and share my feelings. As a male we are taught by society that emotions are "bad". That's why so many guys go on rampages. Woman are looked as the emotional ones but atleast they talk about it and get it out. Most of us guys keep it in untill we do something stupid. I will never take prescription drugs. I've seen what they have done to a lot of my friends. It's NOT the solution.
Prescription drugs can help some people. If you don't like how they make you feel after the time table of effectiveness, then ask your doctor how to stop taking it without encountering side effects.

I was in the same boat you are in bro, but let me tell you... keep your chin up. Life can only get better. Drop all of your inner cynicism and just be positive. People are attracted to positive energy. You'll be surprised how often people will approach you and start talking to you. Give some things time and set some short term goals. In no time you'll realize how much you achieved and how easy it was to get it done and things will come naturally.

Also, make sure you're not taking any supplements that are increasing your anxiety. You may want to detoxify yourself for a short period of time after you have a new lifestyle game plan. If you have the money or if insurance may cover it, see a well known nutritionist and have him give you a work-up on what kind of eating plan works best for YOU. It's much better than trial and error dieting. What's worse: A half-assed Atkin's type keto diet (can make some people homicidally insane) or some drowsiness from Paxil or Cymbalta? Get back to the basics ;)

Last edited:
ohiostate2827

ohiostate2827

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
paxil is the best for social anxiety. it will make you fearless and confident as hell. only bad is it is very hard to get off and sensation is pretty much gone. some ppl also get ed probs from it. the girl ur with will think your king kong cus u can last forever.

bkprice

bkprice

Awards
  • Established
Anger that is kept inside sooner or later becomes depression.

A really good book on beating Anxiety or depression is Called MindOS, you wont ever read another book on the matter of anger or anxity once you finish this book, its that good. You can find it on www.doctorpaul.net He also has a very good program just for your issue.

supersoldier

supersoldier

She thinks my traps'rrrr sexy!
Awards
  • Established
Reset AD bar none!

This is the only thing I have ever taken that makes me feel "normal" within a group of people and not drinking or on drugs. I swear up and down about this stuff. Since starting on it, my life and mindset has completely changed, no BS.

luke1984

luke1984

Awards
  • Established
Taking a substance to control you anxiety is not a good idea.

Alcohol is what actually triggered social anxiety in me. If I drink for 2 days, I'm a mess the week after. Mild panic attacks and such. So I'm off the alcohol for now.

Try to find a cause for it, and hopefully a solution(other than taking substances)

Good luck!