need some help, what are some good supplements for healing?

Truck 44

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I had surgery last friday for appendiscitus(spelling) I have pretty big cut from it and it is bruised.

I am wondering if there may be some supplements I can take to speed the healing process and make it stronger faster.

Thanks

jjohn

jjohn

Awards
  • Established
Good cardio will make healing process a lot faster, and BCAA's, enough protein intake, and good nutrition will speed up healing.

Popa Murph

Awards
They actually cut you? I didn't think they did anything but laproscopy for those anymore. That sucks, I hear a big problem people have after an appendicitis is constipation. So i'd up my fiber a bit.

NO HYPE

Awards
  • Established
I had surgery last friday for appendiscitus(spelling) I have pretty big cut from it and it is bruised.

I am wondering if there may be some supplements I can take to speed the healing process and make it stronger faster.

Thanks

It's kinda funny....

I was just talkin some smack about supplemental L-glutamine and how most of us don't really need it since it's the most abundant amino acid in the body.

I guess I should have added, that your type of situation is the perfect oppertunity to recieve the benefits from administration of large quantities of L-glutamine.

Of course in your case injecting would be more efficient however, oral dosages of 20-30 grams have commonly been administered with either no side effects, or very minimal gastrointestinal sides.

Aside from that, Ester C at around 3-4 grams a day spread evenly would help a lot, along with anything else that you can add, like a multi...:rasp: Try to find one with a high nutrient content.

All in all though, L-glutamine will be of great benefit to you under these circumstances.

Big Matt

Big Matt

All The Whey Nutrition
Awards
  • Established

Thanks

L-Glutamine
BCAA's

Good suggestions.

Here is a little info from our website:

Glutamine is a non-essential amino acid and is found in large amounts in the muscles of the body, and since it easily pass through the blood-brain barrier, it is also known as a superb brain fuel, and some people refer to it as a “smart-vitamin” – although it is in actual fact no vitamin at all.
It is converted to glutamic acid in the brain, which is essential for cerebral functions, and increases the amount of GABA (gamma-aminobutyric acid), which is required for brain functioning and mental activity.

It is used in the muscles for the synthesis of muscle proteins, and is of use for the treatment of wasting muscles after illness or post-operative care.

Although the body requires nitrogen, free nitrogen in the body can be harmful since it forms ammonia – especially toxic to the brain. The liver normally converts ammonia to urea, excreted in the urine – but glutamic acid attaches itself to nitrogen and forms glutamic acid, while removing ammonia from the brain.

It further is used in the body to balance the acid/alkaline level and is also the basis or building blocks of RNA and DNA.

It serves as a source of fuel for cells lining the intestines and it is also used by white blood cells and is important for immune function.

Deficiency of this nutrient is rare, since it can be manufactured by the body but deficiencies can develop during periods of fasting, starvation, strict dieting, cirrhosis, and weight loss associated with AIDS and cancer.

People suffering from arthritis, fibrosis, connective tissue disease, peptic ulcers, ulcerative colitis, as well as epilepsy, fatigue, impotence and senility may find benefit from an increase of this nutrient, as well as people busy with alcohol abuse withdrawal and patients living with HIV.

L-glutamine supplements are also referred to as “smart drugs” since it is thought to improve the functioning of the brain.

In animal research, glutamine has anti-inflammatory effects. Glutamine also decreases the craving for sweets and sugar, which is beneficial to people wishing to lose weight.

You can get a good deal on this at allthewhey.com Even less when you mention "Matt" in your order & use my >> matt05 << 5% off coupon code!

Matt
All The Whey Nutrition
[email protected]
Lowest Prices Highest Quality Whey Protein and Nutrition Supplements
1-800-866-1970
M-F 7pm-10pm EST
Sat 10am-5pm EST

Pioneer

Pioneer

Awards
  • Established
Cissus RX from USPLabs could possibly help

Pfunk47

Pfunk47

Pop-Lock champion of 84'
Awards
  • Established
Vit e for scaring, protein, lots of water, amino acids, vit c, and cardio as john stated - Glutamine orally is worthless as stated above. Cissus RX would IMO would not help in this case,you dont' want the and tendons over tightening or firming up in your stomach while healing, after they are healed then it's a good idea but you want to stay soft/plyable and moist - a big patch with some neo-sporin (but I know some docs say no to that)

Pfunk47

Pfunk47

Pop-Lock champion of 84'
Awards
  • Established
Of course in your case injecting would be more efficient however, oral dosages of 20-30 grams have commonly been administered with either no side effects, or very minimal gastrointestinal sides.
Ok so you didn't say worthless but I can see you searched pub med and found studies - most studies showing that results where achieved are from IV administration usually after some sort of surgery, oral doses at 20-30grams or higher where shown to have little to no affect in relation to recovery compared to IV results. In trained athletes it showed no increased recovery after excercise compared to placebo groups

So worthless, ok maybe not totally but cost vs. results (if any) = worthless ( since know study shows anything significant regarding results). It's pretty cheap but I'd rather spend the money on complete BCAAs instead of just one.

I can post the studies but a search on this board will bring up a ton of glutamine discussions - a good one is the bobo vs. yellowjacket thread - it's long but they get real deep into it.

NO HYPE

Awards
  • Established
(1) I can see you searched pub med and found studies

(2) oral doses at 20-30grams or higher where shown to have little to no affect in relation to recovery

(3) results (if any) = worthless ( since know study shows anything significant regarding results).

(4) I can post the studies

(1) Actually, no I didn't. I have been aware of the effectivensess of oral L-glutamine administration for quite some time. I normally reffer to pdrhealth.com amongst others.

(2) I would very much like to view that study. Patients with the A.I.D.S. virus and Crohn's disease, recieve "oral" administrations of L-glutamine in those same dosages due to it's unique effects within the intesinal wall.

(3) That's just your opinion.... not fact. Nothing significant? Try telling that to one of the people previously mentioned who rely on it orally on a daily basis.

(4) Please do. :blink:

punksurfer024

punksurfer024

Awards
another thing that can help heal faster is high intake of anti-oxidants. ive heard only good things about glutamin helping heal faster as well.

FitnFirm

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Bromelain, and arnica pills or gel, if you use gel dont put it on the incision, but around it. Vitamin K and lots of water, and NO cardio as jjohn suggested, lol. Rest & eat! Mederma for scars is good too.