Brain injury recovery - supps to help?

Pfunk47

Pfunk47

Pop-Lock champion of 84'
Awards
  • Established
Long story short - my friend and I where in a really bad car accident 10 months ago - he got all the damage unfortunetly and has a brain injury - thankfully he is getting better everyday and really you couldn't tell he has one - talks, communicates and acts just like his old self. Problem is he does have short term memory loss as well as double vision - the optical nerve "may' heal 1cm a week I think the doc. said so that could jsut be time but I was wondering if anyone had any supp recomendation to strengthen our brains.

I cleaned up his diet and am trying to get him to eat lots of veggies and overall healthy foods, healthy fats, carbs, pro etc but he is non athletic and is an 'average joe" thinks lean pockets are healthy - so changing his diet is challenge as well. Constanly bug him everyday about how much water he is drinking etc - got the basics down.

anything anyone can recommend would be great. I have him on fish oil, flax, vit c, e and B vits so far - told him about focus xt, gingo, nuero-stim but I dont' know much about brain health.

Ronin13

Ronin13

Awards
  • Established
Sorry to hear about you and your friends misfortune but happy to know there are minimal issues. If I recall correctly, I thought there was a huge study on Alcar and memory loss. I am on my way out the door but I sure you can find it quickly on the net. Best to both of you, especially your friend right now.

Pfunk47

Pfunk47

Pop-Lock champion of 84'
Awards
  • Established
thanks - I'll look a little deeper into Alcar - read a lot of stuff on it and tried it myself but never really noticed anything - it's been about 1.5 years since I read about it.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
You could try to add Rhodiola Rosea to his supp line. Research has shown that this adaptogen does not work centrally on the HPA but through other means, giving it success in areas where other adaptogens like Ginko may not. I think it's best utilized in stressful conditions, but I definitely think it is worth a try. Here is a few links.

Rhodiola rosea research

Rhodiola rosea, Rosavin, Golden Root - Dr. Zakir Ramazanov - Salidroside

On a side note, USP Lab's C2 has a very beneficial dose of Rhodiola from it and it is honestly one of the most effective and best supplements I have ever taken. It lowered my stress, gave me deeper sleep. That would also be a route to take possibly.

Pfunk47

Pfunk47

Pop-Lock champion of 84'
Awards
  • Established
I have some left over C2 that I will give him to try - I am trying to limit his caffeine intake for a while - I know caffeine stims the brain but he was a mt. dew/ red bull junky - I want him to clean out then introduce things slowly. thanks for the link

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I have some left over C2 that I will give him to try - I am trying to limit his caffeine intake for a while - I know caffeine stims the brain but he was a mt. dew/ red bull junky - I want him to clean out then introduce things slowly. thanks for the link
Yeah, that is the only bad thing about the C2 is the caffeine. I guess you could try for some straight extract. Though I find I never get as much from straight extracts, possibly the delivery system.

havlicek

Awards
Sorry to hear about your accident, but it sounds like things could be much worse. I got my bell rung pretty well in a car accident a few years ago, and was a little foggy for a while afterwards, nothing as serious as your friend.

I don't really have any supplement suggestions, but I wanted to share with you something that helped me. The best advice I got from my doctor was more along the lines of a good workout suggestion, which was to learn something completely new and outside your comfort zone. For me, it was piano lessons since I had never had any musical instruction (other suggestions: a new language, chess, dance, ...). I can't say for sure how much it helped, but I felt it was quite effective and only hurt the few unfortunate souls who had to hear me practice.

Best of luck to your friend!

Pfunk47

Pfunk47

Pop-Lock champion of 84'
Awards
  • Established
that's a good idea - I can see how that would be effective.

Werewolf

Werewolf

Awards
  • Established
IGF-1R3 has been shown to heal severed nerves at 6 times the distance of seperation. To get IGF-1R3 into the brain you must use it in the form of Oratrophin. I know of no research or any that every tried this. He would likely be very first Guinea if he tried it. He would have to dose high because only a small amount makes it into the brain. Sorry, that is all I know.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
I second all recommendations made..particularly IGF-R3. The research behind this stuf as far as nerve healing goes looks very promising on paper. I know for a fact it can heal everything else..ie muscle, tendon, joints as I have used it for this.

Keep his doses of fish oil high. The music angle really seems like it would challenge the CNS in new and different ways.

NO HYPE

Awards
  • Established
EFA, DHA (docosahxaenoic acid), R-Dihydro-Lipoic Acid, Grapeseed Extract, Acetyl-L-Carnitine, Trimethylglycine, Cordyceps Sinensis, Colene Bitartrate, Inositol, Vinpocetine.

Werewolf

Werewolf

Awards
  • Established
The optic nerve may not be inside the protected barrier filter around the brain. If so, then any form IGF-1R3 would work and high dosing would not be necessary.

supersize77

supersize77

Awards
  • Established
OK, I can speak from personal experience on this. I have this friend ;) who was in a car wreck 2.5 years ago and suffered 4 cerebral hemorages. My friend took Alcar, piracetam, choline, hydergine, ginko, and vipocetine on a daily basis. Overkill you say? Well, long story short, my friend finished his first semester in law school in the top 25% less than 6 months after his brain injury. My friend no longer takes any of these supplements except ALcar but feels that taking them was very benificial during the initial recover phase and may have even sped up the recovery process. Hope this helps.

Pfunk47

Pfunk47

Pop-Lock champion of 84'
Awards
  • Established
Lots of good ideas thanks guys!! - the IGF-R3 sounds great but I think he would freak if I told him he had to stick himself - I'll show him the research though.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Get the Oratropin then..it's an oral version that actually works pretty well IMO.

Dr Liftalot

Dr Liftalot

Awards
  • Established
Oratrophin is great option, i felt a warm feeling inside my head after taking it. Noticeable my Memory and everything else started working better.

Dr L

Ronin13

Ronin13

Awards
  • Established
Oratrophin is great option, i felt a warm feeling inside my head after taking it. Noticeable my Memory and everything else started working better.

Dr L

No ****! I think I am about to make a purchase.