The most underrated supplement : curcumin

jeffas66

Awards
Good read
Found on the life extension foundation site :

Muscle regeneration

Believe it or not, curcumin has something in it that repairs muscle better than anything presently known. Derived from the spice turmeric, curcumin speeds recovery without injections or side effects. Although the data is preliminary, it appears that when curcumin is taken orally, it has the ability to home in on injured muscle. Once there, it changes the biochemistry of baby muscle cells, causing them to grow faster and clump together quicker to create new tissue. According to the study, curcumin caused muscle cells to fuse together twice as fast as they ordinarily would.

It’s not known exactly how curcumin works. Researchers do know, however, that curcumin suppresses a factor that influences growth factors. This factor, NF B (nuclear factor kappa B), plays a prominent role in immunity and cell growth. Immediately after muscle injury, the immune system dispatches cells to the area. Their job is to destroy old tissue and begin new construction. NF B is one of the lines of communication immune cells use to get things done. By influencing NF B, curcumin modulates the repair process.

The regeneration of muscle is a complex phenomenon. Curcumin works in part by changing the arrival time and status of chemical messengers known as cytokines. Cytokines appear at the scene early on, and they have a powerful effect on inflammation and cell growth. A cytokine known as IL-6 (interleukin-6), for example, makes muscle cells multiply. Another one called TNF (tumor necrosis factor) keeps cells from growing up, developing. By suppressing one, and enhancing the other, curcumin can speed things up.

The authors of the study believe that curcumin works by other mechanisms that probably involve growth factors, but this has not been proven yet. In other attempts to make muscles regenerate, researchers have tried injecting synthetic growth factors or transplanting myoblasts–all with limited success. Curcumin seems to be a much safer, more effective treatment–at least in the early stages. The effects of curcumin are felt early on–right after injury when the body first sends out the repair squads. So if you want to try curcumin for muscle regeneration, make sure you take it as soon as the injury occurs. The authors of the study predict that curcumin may be useful not only for accidental injuries or sports, but also to help repair surgical damage.

Thaloor D, et al. 1999. Systemic administration of the NF- B inhibitor curcumin stimulates muscle regeneration after traumatic injury. Am J Physiol 277(2 pt 1):C320-29.

Other links about curcumin properties :

http://www.curcuminoids.com/home.htm

http://www.curcuminoids.com/Pharmacological.htm

...Many documented studies :
http://www.curcuminoids.com/research04.htm

Maybe one of the best best things you can take if you're interested in :
-lowering your cholesterol levels
-prevent (or even fight) cancer
-get better muscular recovery after workouts
-anti-inflammatory activity (same as aspirin without sides)
-improving gastro intestinal tract (did you say gaz from whey protein ?? )
and many others...

Mach .78

Mach .78

Awards
  • Established
Good article. I just googled it to learn more about it. Tumeric (curcumin) is good for alot of things, surprising. I'll be adding it to my arsenal for it's benefits here soon. Thanks

idunk42

King Kong
Awards
  • Established
Yeah, definitely a good addition and its cheap, so why not right.

canadian champ

Awards
  • Established
In the scientific community, the wide-ranging benefits of curcumin are well known. Recently (with further support soon to come :study: ), several 'anti-cancer' benefits of curcumin have been revealed.
cc

Good read
Found on the life extension foundation site :

Muscle regeneration

Believe it or not, curcumin has something in it that repairs muscle better than anything presently known. Derived from the spice turmeric, curcumin speeds recovery without injections or side effects. Although the data is preliminary, it appears that when curcumin is taken orally, it has the ability to home in on injured muscle. Once there, it changes the biochemistry of baby muscle cells, causing them to grow faster and clump together quicker to create new tissue. According to the study, curcumin caused muscle cells to fuse together twice as fast as they ordinarily would.

It’s not known exactly how curcumin works. Researchers do know, however, that curcumin suppresses a factor that influences growth factors. This factor, NF B (nuclear factor kappa B), plays a prominent role in immunity and cell growth. Immediately after muscle injury, the immune system dispatches cells to the area. Their job is to destroy old tissue and begin new construction. NF B is one of the lines of communication immune cells use to get things done. By influencing NF B, curcumin modulates the repair process.

The regeneration of muscle is a complex phenomenon. Curcumin works in part by changing the arrival time and status of chemical messengers known as cytokines. Cytokines appear at the scene early on, and they have a powerful effect on inflammation and cell growth. A cytokine known as IL-6 (interleukin-6), for example, makes muscle cells multiply. Another one called TNF (tumor necrosis factor) keeps cells from growing up, developing. By suppressing one, and enhancing the other, curcumin can speed things up.

The authors of the study believe that curcumin works by other mechanisms that probably involve growth factors, but this has not been proven yet. In other attempts to make muscles regenerate, researchers have tried injecting synthetic growth factors or transplanting myoblasts–all with limited success. Curcumin seems to be a much safer, more effective treatment–at least in the early stages. The effects of curcumin are felt early on–right after injury when the body first sends out the repair squads. So if you want to try curcumin for muscle regeneration, make sure you take it as soon as the injury occurs. The authors of the study predict that curcumin may be useful not only for accidental injuries or sports, but also to help repair surgical damage.

Thaloor D, et al. 1999. Systemic administration of the NF- B inhibitor curcumin stimulates muscle regeneration after traumatic injury. Am J Physiol 277(2 pt 1):C320-29.

Other links about curcumin properties :

http://www.curcuminoids.com/home.htm

http://www.curcuminoids.com/Pharmacological.htm

...Many documented studies :
http://www.curcuminoids.com/research04.htm

Maybe one of the best best things you can take if you're interested in :
-lowering your cholesterol levels
-prevent (or even fight) cancer
-get better muscular recovery after workouts
-anti-inflammatory activity (same as aspirin without sides)
-improving gastro intestinal tract (did you say gaz from whey protein ?? )
and many others...

fbxdan

fbxdan

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the info. Have you ever taken curcumin? And if so, did you notice anything from it?

Grassroots082

Grassroots082

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
My dad and mom take it, (Turmeric) they get the powder from any grocery store. It tastes pretty bad, but my dad said his stomach ailments have improved very much so since he started taking it 2 times a day.

methusaleh

methusaleh

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I've been taking turmeric for about a year for general wellness. Have only done one PH cycle and no gear during that time. I wasn't attributing any muscle-related benefits to it, although I have noticed that injuries and soreness go away faster than they usually did-- but I attributed that to CEE, because the recovery effects were similar to when I first used creatine monohydrate.

Schwaugher

Awards
Curcumin works great when combined with bioperine. 500 mg twice a day does wonders for my cholesterol.

lonas2

Awards
I think Ryanism used Circumin to lower his BP on his M-TRN cycle. So far it:
1) Helps repair damaged muscles
2) Acts as an anti-Cancer agent (maybe)
3) Cures stomach ailments
4) helps cholesterol levels
5) Lowers BP

sounds under rated to me.....

CDONDICI

Awards
  • Established
I found this....

Clusters of men on Internet prostate cancer support groups (notably Don Cooley's lists) began seriously experimenting with turmeric to cope with a troublesome side-effect of androgen-suppression therapy, gynecomastia (sore swollen breasts). Most men who take antiandrogen drugs like Flutamide (Eulexin) or Casodex experience this breast swelling, which can be painful. Gynecomastia can occur also with use of finasteride(Proscar), prescribed for BPH (benign growth of the prostate) and now under discussion as a chemo-preventive for prostate cancer. Before starting Casodex some patients opt to receive a brief course of radiation to the breasts. Others have tried low-dose tamoxifen, which raises levels of circulating estradiol. Then there are the turmeric warriors, who report that dietary intake of turmeric (in salads, soups and sandwiches made with fresh root) and use of curcumin paste externally brings some relief.

Chippewa

Chippewa

Awards
  • Established
I've used it for a while as an antioxiant, but I never knew about this. Maybe I'll start combining it with CEE when I cap the CEE.

Mach .78

Mach .78

Awards
  • Established
I've used it for a while as an antioxiant, but I never knew about this. Maybe I'll start combining it with CEE when I cap the CEE.
I think I just threw up in my...mouf yep, I did.:blink:

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
I just capped a bunch of tumeric (about 80 cents per ounce at the herb store) in some OOO caps. About 15-20 minutes after taking a single cap I could notice that my lungs and sinuses were opening up and this lead to less restricted breathing. I almost always have some low grade allergies going on and my sinuses are rarely fully open.

BB12

BB12

Awards
  • Established
I've been taking turmeric for about a year for general wellness. Have only done one PH cycle and no gear during that time. I wasn't attributing any muscle-related benefits to it, although I have noticed that injuries and soreness go away faster than they usually did-- but I attributed that to CEE, because the recovery effects were similar to when I first used creatine monohydrate.
Precautions
As is the case with so many herbs, turmeric should be used in moderation. Too much turmeric for too long can cause stomach distress. Since turmeric is included in Ayurvedic formulas for birth control, women trying to become pregnant should limit their consumption of the herb, and it should be avoided while pregnant. Excessive use of turmeric should also be avoided in people with congestive heart failure. The curcumin in turmeric activates a gene called p53. This gene deactivates cancer cells, but it also deactivates damaged cells in the heart.

jarhead

jarhead

Awards
  • Established
Does the herb that you find at the grocery store provide these benefits, or is it a different form that is needed? Also, what dosages are recommended?

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
I've heard it's also good for the joints but never really looked into it.

jeffas66

Awards
Does the herb that you find at the grocery store provide these benefits, or is it a different form that is needed? Also, what dosages are recommended?
The best is to take a standardised extract with bioperine, because the bioavaibility is low.
Sabinsa's stuff is very good (the "C3" stuff) but I think you could find another source for it. I don't really know about groceries, because I have to import it from USA : prices are much higher in France for supplements (even with shipping charges...)

Something like 500mg of a 95% extract 2 x a day is enough I believe. Anything over 3-4g/d could be too much for sides (but I have to find a report for this...)

Cosmo

Awards
i take about 4g of C3 a day with no sides for a couple months now, i absolutley love the stuff and try to get more people to take it, it has been a god send for my crohn's so i can vouch for the strong nuclear factor kappa b inhibition, not sure but i also believe it has helped with my body composition, since taking it ive been able to eat what i want and havent beeen gaining fat and my weight is also going up (im also on a 350mg/week dose of test though). This sup is DEFINATELY underrated!

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
With that strong of anti inflammatory effect, it could be downregulating several pathways for adipose storage.

Glad it's working out for you. I will suggest it to a male friend who has UC..but not for my wife at this juncture.

StanChampion

StanChampion

Awards
  • Established
I have been taking the NOW brand for about a month or so. Nothing to report yet as I am only taking one cap/day. Read an article about Curcumin's affect on prostate cancer and decided to try it for that reason.

Gokmog

Gokmog

Awards
hmm. good thread. i get curcumin in my NOW supplements Dr. Balch line called "Super Antioxidants". i also occasionally use the spice turmeric in my cooking.

here's what confuses me: i read in a magazine that some anti-inflammatories actually interfere with muscle growth, but this stuff may actually boost healing/growth?

yes, it is good for the joints and other things. there is a connection between the inflammation allergy response in the lungs and relief from allergies, i believe.

hooray for curcumin. i've read in a pharmaceutical journal that it binds to copper and iron, however, but not zinc. now, if you've been following the minerals... it's not good to have a zinc/copper imbalance. also, when there is plenty of copper and zinc the oxidation of higher levels of iron is not a problem. balance is key. (in case anyone was wondering if curcumin would help chelate iron and reduce the risk of heart disease.)

verner

verner

Team Nutra Ninja Monkey Trainer
Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the find bro. Gonna do some more research on this and look to add it to my supps. Funny Ive been giving it to my wife for 6 months for arthritis. I shoulda been taking it ! lol

Prometheus

Awards
If you take tumeric careful what you take it with as it does conflict with the high doses of "thiol" nutrients, such as N-Acetyl-cysteine (NAC) and Alpha Lipoic acid because these nutrients seem to interfere with curcumin's Protein Kinase C (PKC) inhibiting effects. If had to give up Lipoic Acid, which I wouldn't I'd use a product like it. Tumeric can reduce 17b-estradiol. It's too bad about the internal interaction with -thiols. I tried it before and had a headache (using the tumeric with the thiol-substances). Turmeric also happens to suppress matrix metalloproteinase-9 secretion, implicated in hair loss. The Nuclear factor-kappa B control, COX-2 ect is a great value. I've got a huge stash of Turmeric and I can't even use it.

chainsaw

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
If you take tumeric careful what you take it with as it does conflict with the high doses of "thiol" nutrients, such as N-Acetyl-cysteine (NAC) and Alpha Lipoic acid because these nutrients seem to interfere with curcumin's Protein Kinase C (PKC) inhibiting effects. If had to give up Lipoic Acid, which I wouldn't I'd use a product like it. Tumeric can reduce 17b-estradiol. It's too bad about the internal interaction with -thiols. I tried it before and had a headache (using the tumeric with the thiol-substances). Turmeric also happens to suppress matrix metalloproteinase-9 secretion, implicated in hair loss. The Nuclear factor-kappa B control, COX-2 ect is a great value. I've got a huge stash of Turmeric and I can't even use it.
That sucks, I have been stacking it with my daily anti oxidant blend, which includes KRALA, ALCAR, GliSodin, Green Tea, etc...

StanChampion

StanChampion

Awards
  • Established
not quite sure what you are talking about in some of that :) However, I take spilt up my doses.

After my am shake I take
1 lean green
1 gram vit c
1 mutli
1 saw palmetto
50 mg cq10

afternoon
1 NOW brand tumeric/curcumin
1 garlic cap

pre workout
1 b complex
3 scoops of Xtend

3 scoops of Extend
500mg calcium +250 magn

before bed
1 multi
fish oil caps
glucos/chod

Last edited:

brettdawge

Awards
I had been taking it for 6 months to see if it would help with Psoriasis. Was taking upwards of 2g a day (with bioperine). Dont know about the muscle growth thing, but it definitely fixed up my tendonitis. Great for injuries.

StanChampion

StanChampion

Awards
  • Established
what is this bioperine stuff??? I do not recall reading about it or low bioavailability of curcumin in the two studies I have read.

thanks

Prometheus

Awards
Bioperine will help in the absorpyion of green tea, see study below:

Black pepper increases bioavailability of EGCG in Green Tea

An animal study suggests that consuming the spice, black pepper, when drinking green tea can significantly increase the amount of epigallocatechin-3-gallate (EGCG) absorbed. In this study, rats and mice given green tea along with piperine (a bioactive component in black pepper) absorbed 130% more EGCG than control animals receiving EGCG alone.

In this study, piperine was found to inhibit the glucuronidation of EGCG in the intestines. Glucuronidation is a chemical pathway that serves as one of the major ways our bodies convert drugs, steroids, and many other substances into metabolites that can then be excreted into the urine or bile. By inhibiting EGCG's glucuronidation, piperine allowed more of this catechin to be absorbed and utilized.

You can read the full study (Piperine Enhances the Bioavailability of the Tea Polyphenol (–)-Epigallocatechin-3-gallate in Mice) at: http://www.nutrition.org/cgi/content/full/134/8/1948http://www.nutrition.org/cgi/content/full/134/8/1948

This may sound strange, but I actually put black pepper in my green tea whenever I drink it. Also, those taking the supplements could try taking them during a meal with black pepper. Or just taking a shot of black pepper.

BTW, they do sell piperine aka bioperine supplements. The time you take the piperine should coincide with whenever you take the other item who's effects you want to increase.

Interestingly enough Capsaicum has a synergistic affect on green tea as well:

http://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/rpsgb/jpp/2003/00000055/00000007/art00012

In this study, piperine was found to inhibit the glucuronidation of EGCG in the intestines. Glucuronidation is a chemical pathway that serves as one of the major ways our bodies convert drugs, steroids, and many other substances into metabolites

This will depend on where the site of Glucuronidation occurs.

Prometheus

Awards
stan - you'll be far better off replacing tumeric with a ALCA/K-RALA stack,
Lipoic Acid tricks the hypothalamus at least for a little while into believing the body has recent
glucose activity, hence the appetite maybe lessened to an extent and you may experience
temporary weight loss as a result. Additional weight loss may occur due to significant anti-oxidant
activity.

ALA or Lipoic Acid raises Glutathione production, as does NAC (N-Acetyl-Cysteine), another
detoxificant. The L-Carnosine benefit of anti-glycation is novel. While recent science confirms that
it is not cholesterol alone that causes plaque, it is the oxidation of it that matters. In any case, the
Cholesterol would be more favorable at least according to doctors, however their obsession with
cholesterol counts is quite absurd considering that factors such as CRP (C-Reactive Protein),
Lipoprotein(a), Fibrinogen, and triglycerides is about a 100 times more significant. Inexplicably,
doctors hand out Lipitor and other toxic statins from their "cauldrons of witches brew," and for
what? Increased risks of cancer mortality, energy loss, fatigue, muscle weakness, diastolic
dysfunction, low injection fraction, and augmented dementia risks.

StanChampion

StanChampion

Awards
  • Established
jeffas66 and Prometheus thanks for the good info. :hammer:

do you guys have any recs on a good curcumin porduct with Bioperine added? Or should I just use my lil bottle of black pepper I get at the store. I tried NOW, but they only had it with ALA. I also take 2 grams of ALCAR 1 hour pre workout and was thinking about adding some Glucophase XR.

jeffas66

Awards
do you guys have any recs on a good curcumin porduct with Bioperine added?
The stuff I use is America's Finest "super curcumin C3 complex" with bioperine. 1000mg curcumin with 5mg bioperine.
You also have Doctor's best curcumin, but doses are lower : 527mg curcumin+3mg bioperine/cap. It's about the same price mg per meg.

StanChampion

StanChampion

Awards
  • Established
I googled bioperine and found a ton of info and products. Gets very confusing :)

I am thinknig about just getting some 10 mg caps and adding it to a few of pill popping points in the day.

ex:

10 mg bioperine + curcumin
10 mg bioperine + vit b complex 1 hour prior to workout
10 mg bioperine + cq10

hmmmmmmm :)