Adaptogens

Slims

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I've been getting ill more often and for longer lately and want to know if adding an adaptogen, such as ashwagandha, into my daily supps would help?
I currently train 6 days per week with 2 double days and work a full time job dealing with the general public. I take 2x15mg Zinc and 3x500mg Vitamin C as my daily immune stack.

Thank you

ValiantThor08

ValiantThor08

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I've been getting ill more often and for longer lately and want to know if adding an adaptogen, such as ashwagandha, into my daily supps would help?
I currently train 6 days per week with 2 double days and work a full time job dealing with the general public. I take 2x15mg Zinc and 3x500mg Vitamin C as my daily immune stack.

Thank you
Make sure magnesium supplementation is up to par. When was the last time you took a break from the gym? If it has been a while, you may want to take a week of. KSM66 will he helpful in your situation, and anyone really. It will provide a boost in immune system, energy levels, and help provide better sleep. Seriously consider taking a break from the gym.

mase1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Possibly a sign you are over training. If I keep pushing and don't deload when I should I get sick or injured. Just my experience.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote

Thank you
google b-AET

Ironheart1984

Awards
Hey dude

I started a thread just above yours about insomnia/sleep. Taking a leaf out of my own book, there is one adaptogen you really should check out. It's called Tulsi (Holy Basil). Holy Basil has a profound effect at lowering cortisol. Actually, I might stack that back into my day! Google Holy Basil and see what you think!

PS: The taste takes a bit of getting used to. It tastes like, how can I put it....ground up old churches.

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I’d give ashwagandha a shot. You could try both Sensoril and KSM-66 as people seem to like one or the other.

I prefer KSM-66 currently and it’s cheap to try. Jarrow sells 120 cap bottles that cost around $10 and you’d only need 2 caps a day.

As others have said there’s other factors to look at as far as training and lifestyle go, but give some ash a try it’s cheap and seems to help me out in that regard.

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
What's the difference between the two? Do you have experience with both?
They are both studied and show benefits.

Some people get energy and some get calming effects. I tend to get a bit more calming feel from Sensoril.

On both just overall I’m more “calm”. Stress seems lower and I do just “better” overall.

Mixelflick

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Possibly a sign you are over training. If I keep pushing and don't deload when I should I get sick or injured. Just my experience.
THIS....

If you're under 40, take a week off every 8 weeks. If you're 40 or older, take a week off every 4 weeks.

Not an easy thing to do, but you will almost always be stronger (and healthier) for it. Also, you don't have to guess. During your week off, establish your daily average resting heart rate. If it's 60 beats per minute, that's your baseline. When you resume hard training, keep an eye on it. Once it raises 8 beats or more above baseline (68), you're slipping into over-training.

With things like Fitbit, this is so much easier today vs. yesteryear. You have so much data to avail yourself too, there's no excuse not to. With it, there's for losing gains due to over-training. Or under-training for that matter. All it takes is some basic record-keeping and the discipline to take some time off every now and then.

If people would only do this, there'd be a lot more muscle in the world...

aaronuconn

aaronuconn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
That’s a lot of activity. What’s your calorie/macro intake look like?

Slims

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
THIS....

If you're under 40, take a week off every 8 weeks. If you're 40 or older, take a week off every 4 weeks.

Not an easy thing to do, but you will almost always be stronger (and healthier) for it. Also, you don't have to guess. During your week off, establish your daily average resting heart rate. If it's 60 beats per minute, that's your baseline. When you resume hard training, keep an eye on it. Once it raises 8 beats or more above baseline (68), you're slipping into over-training.
I'm 26, and bar manager and personal trainer and my average resting heart rate is between 60 and 70bpm, which is quite good I believe.

That’s a lot of activity. What’s your calorie/macro intake look like?
2000-2500kcals per day
200-250g protein
100g fats
75-150g carbs

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
A good probiotic is crucial for a robust immune system.

Mixelflick

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I suspect the real answer is in your diet/sleep, but you know that already.

I agree ashwaghanda has merit, but if it's immunity you seek you'd do better with mushrooms. Several have displayed much better immune measurements, such as an increase in killer cells.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I love rhodiola and ashwagandha, but I cannot say they ever had much benefit regarding colds, flu, or other general illnesses.

For me, the best thing I have ever included was Black Seed Oil. I've been taking this for the last 2 years and have not had 1 cold. Literally nothing and everyone around me including my kids have had several this year.

However, if you truly are training that much, there is little doubt that your CNS is taxed and your immune system is likely in overdrive. That is a lot even if you were on cycle and you don't mention anything about that. You would benefit from a deload and some time off. Remember, you grow and build muscle when you rest.

Slims

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
My KSM-66 ashwagandha came on Monday. I'm taking 2 caps per day before bed 600mg at 5%=30mg of pure KSM-66.
I'm not on cycle, just my standard TRT dose. I try to take a deload week every 12th week

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
TRT will allow you to train more as we don’t have associated fluctuations as those that aren’t, but that is still a ton of training.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
1. Don't over train.
2. Increase your vitamin C to 5 grams a day.
3. Get a good probiotic as DSade suggested (Plug for Evomuse Gut Health as effective and inexpensive at less than $15/month.)
4. 5,000 - 10,000 iu Vitamin D per day.

You can do all of that for less than $20 a month.

Ashwagandha gets a lot of love..I think it has a place but it is a little overhyped for everything.

Slims

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I don't think I'm overtraining, as my numbers and lifts are still going in the right direction.
I've got two good gut health supps in my daily staples.
I take 10,000 iu of vitamin D3 every day as another staple.
So I have most of the basics covered. I'll take youe advice and increase the vitamin C to 3g per day.

I'm not expecting miracles from ashwagandha, I just want it to stop me getting ill as often as I have been.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I don't think I'm overtraining, as my numbers and lifts are still going in the right direction.
I've got two good gut health supps in my daily staples.
I take 10,000 iu of vitamin D3 every day as another staple.
So I have most of the basics covered. I'll take youe advice and increase the vitamin C to 3g per day.

I'm not expecting miracles from ashwagandha, I just want it to stop me getting ill as often as I have been.
Well dang. You are doing a bunch right then...gotta give you that!

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I love rhodiola and ashwagandha, but I cannot say they ever had much benefit regarding colds, flu, or other general illnesses.

For me, the best thing I have ever included was Black Seed Oil. I've been taking this for the last 2 years and have not had 1 cold. Literally nothing and everyone around me including my kids have had several this year.
Was recently looking at this. Any product or specific dosing you recommend? Trying to read up to decide if it’s worth it for me.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
1. Don't over train.
2. Increase your vitamin C to 5 grams a day.
3. Get a good probiotic as DSade suggested (Plug for Evomuse Gut Health as effective and inexpensive at less than $15/month.)
4. 5,000 - 10,000 iu Vitamin D per day.

You can do all of that for less than $20 a month.

Ashwagandha gets a lot of love..I think it has a place but it is a little overhyped for everything.
I absolutely killed legs three days ago,. The day after i felt like complete garbage at work, it was so bad. day two feeling a bit better but still only did low intensity cardio because my body couldn't take any high intensity anything.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Was recently looking at this. Any product or specific dosing you recommend? Trying to read up to decide if it’s worth it for me.
The one I have had the best experience with is Healths Harmony brand. They use the oil filled caps instead of powder and it makes a difference, especially if you have a sensitive stomach. Some people have a hard time with the powder, but the oil works very well.

Some complain about BSO burps, but I personally think they are delicious. LOL

Mixelflick

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Although this goes WAY back, Rick Brunner (former CEO of Atletika) wrote extensively regarding adaptogens and sport. I studied all of his works, reading voraciously every bit I could get my hands on. His works are timeless, even today and he was way, way ahead of his time. He introduced the very first (legit) Ecdysterone product in this country (Retibol), and an ultra low molecular weight amino acid formula for intra/post workout use. I forget the name, but will NEVER forget the taste, LOL. It had a molecular weight of 400 daltons, I believe.

I hope this overview of one of his presentations helps you.. https://www.cvasps.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/Nutritional-Ergogenics-for-Athletes-BRUNNER.pdf

Slims

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Slightly random but relatable question to add in here, but does Ashwagandha increase free testosterone?

ValiantThor08

ValiantThor08

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Slightly random but relatable question to add in here, but does Ashwagandha increase testosterone?
Dosed at 675mg a day, there was a positive effect on testosterone in men, in a study. Is it conclusive, no, but it appears more beneficial than negative.

ValiantThor08

ValiantThor08

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Been taking sensoril at a gram a day now, and just bought bacopa ectract to take long term.

ValiantThor08

ValiantThor08

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Hinmate, what’s the purpose of the bacopa? Performance or health or? Kind regards
Bacopa over long term use will enhance the ability form, retain, and recall memories. It is brain enhancing.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Supplements 24
Supplements 6
Nootropics 12
halljo Supplements 12
Supplements 13