Best way to boost Cholesterol ?

BBiceps

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
What’s the best way/supplement to boost good cholesterol and lower the bad?

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
What’s the best way/supplement to boost good cholesterol and lower the bad?
Lose weight and lower carb intake to around 40-50% of daily intake or less. But losing bodyfat has the greatest impact.

The concept of "bad" and "good" cholesterol has largely been challenged. Both HDL and LDL perform very important functions in the body and both are required to be healthful.

What is bad however, is dysfunction LDL. These are small, dense particles instead of being large and 'fluffy'. The small dense ones are triglyceride rich, which usually occurs during periods of high body fat when there is a lot of circulating triglycerides in the blood stream. It can also happen if you tend to eat a fair amount of carbs and also have a high bodyfat.

If you use google scholar or whatever, you can look up LDL p vs LDL C and atherogenesis or something to that effect to see why high LDL p is a better predicter or heart disease than simply having high LDL

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Garlic (Kyolic)
Ashwagandha (KSM-66)

Both are very affordable and generally healthy as well. And Kyolic is odorless, so don’t worry about smelling.

GHopkins

GHopkins

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Niacin will do the trick. Just make sure you get real Nicotinic acid. Do not get the no flush variant niacinamide, which will not work.
The down side are the sides. The flushing can make you look like a lobster until you get used to it. Don't combine with beta alanine unless you want to feel your skin crawl like you are covered in ants.
Niacin works without long term side effects and it is cheap! I have been using it for a year.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Niacin will do the trick. Just make sure you get real Nicotinic acid. Do not get the no flush variant niacinamide, which will not work.
The down side are the sides. The flushing can make you look like a lobster until you get used to it. Don't combine with beta alanine unless you want to feel your skin crawl like you are covered in ants.
Niacin works without long term side effects and it is cheap! I have been using it for a year.
You’re not concerned with long term use and insulin resistance?

GHopkins

GHopkins

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
You’re not concerned with long term use and insulin resistance?
If you are type 2 diabetic or have liver issues then niacin is not for you. If you stay below 500mg you should have no problem. I do 200-300 mg per day 5 days a week with no complications. My next physical is in 4 weeks. I will report back with the findings.

BBiceps

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
How much should take and how should I dose it?

cheftepesh1

cheftepesh1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
You can also use red yeast rice and plant sterols. These work great for my wife who has constant issues.

Ape McGrapes

Ape McGrapes

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
You can also use red yeast rice and plant sterols. These work great for my wife who has constant issues.
I didn't think you could get quality red yeast rice, or at least any that is standardized or labeled to be. This is what the FDA tried to get Jared Wheat on, claiming he once sold a supplement adulterated with a drug because of the monacolin K content.

GHopkins

GHopkins

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I would not advise anyone to use red yeast rice for any length of time. It has the effect of lowering total cholesterol. This is good if the total is high because the HDL to LDL ratio will improve. But is also causes muscle breakdown when you exercise, and prevents protein synthesis. Rabdo is a risk if you push it hard. It might be alright for the average coach potato, but not anybody posting here.
Remember that Statin drugs started by extracting compounds from red yeast rice. Then google all the side effects of the drugs.

BBiceps

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Thanks everyone for the recommendations. I got Niacin and Citrus Bergamot and started to dose 250mg instant release Niacin with my first meal and 500 mg Citrus Bergamot before dinner, the rush from the Niacin is pretty cool actually, hopefully it get everything on track, I did a cycle last year that screwed it up.