Intra Workout Carbs

sandaddiction

Awards
I currently train a 4:30am. I drink an Oats Overnight before working out...around 5 F, 40 C, 20 P. My workouts are usually around 90 minutes +/-. I’m in a maintenance stage so not overly concerned with Carbs but don’t want more if not needed....would I benefit from an Intra Carb? If so, what is recommended?

Old Witch

Old Witch

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
At 90mins in the gym, yeah you could probably benefit from something at about the halfway point or something you would sip throughout.

A high molecular weight amylopectin and some bcaas are going to be better than some dextrose or of course FAR better than HFCS(gasp! Horror!) or sucrose (beet sugar, plain sugar, sugar-sugar, you know, sugar.)

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I have a problem with low blood sugar if I train fasted (4:30am) I am ok, if I consume simple carb before or during my workouts my blood sugar crashes before my workout is over. Just something to be careful of.

BOSSMAN

BOSSMAN

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I would highly suggest a product like Karbolyn. I train super early in the morning and this helps me achieve a great pump, keep my endurance up, and continue to push my limits and beat the log book. For someone who trains early like yourself, this would be a quality addition to your supplement regiment.

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Iso-Carb is another good one to try. Great taste and flavor. I think it would be a good idea to at least try one out for awhile and see how it works for you.

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I currently train a 4:30am. I drink an Oats Overnight before working out...around 5 F, 40 C, 20 P. My workouts are usually around 90 minutes +/-. I’m in a maintenance stage so not overly concerned with Carbs but don’t want more if not needed....would I benefit from an Intra Carb? If so, what is recommended?
You drink that shake right before training? If that’s the case you should be fueled pretty well and don’t need anything Intra.

That said you could still play around with some depending on your type of training it may help. I do enjoy adding some for my training myself (but I’m in a bit different situation).

I would start off with something simple though. Try some Gatorade powder first to see how it helps. No need for expensive fancy powders all the time. If you do notice it does help maybe then you can play around with different sources.

sandaddiction

Awards
Appreciate all the help. I’ll play around with a few of these ideas and update everyone.

Farlesworth

Farlesworth

Awards
I like Nutra Bio Super Carb, pure HBCD (highly branched cyclic dextrin)

danielmoo

danielmoo

Awards
  • Established
I think you would benefit from an intra-workout drink, especially with carbohydrates, for an hour & a half workout. A pure HBCD product like Glycofuse might be just what you're looking for.

DEVANS89

DEVANS89

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Sizeon is brilliant too covers so many bases.

Intracell by primeval labs is very good also

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Didn’t CL once have an intra carb?
Purple Wraath (essential amino acid intra type product) is still around, but I do not recall an intra carb product. There were some post workout products (Golden Finish, Golden Gains)
I don’t remember solely a carb drink but think Purple Intrain had some (plus WPH I think and probably some extras).

BOSSMAN

BOSSMAN

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I don’t remember solely a carb drink but think Purple Intrain had some (plus WPH I think and probably some extras).
KARBOLYN. ....1 scoop 200 cals/50 carbs. By efx I beleive, blueberry watermelon. ...Tastes great

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Appreciate all the help. I’ll play around with a few of these ideas and update everyone.
Hope you find a good one! There are a ton out there to try..

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I personally like carbs intra. especially on days when I want to work out early morning and do not have time to eat and let it digest, an intra shake is clutch. I like to do around 25-50 grams for chest depending on how long the workout is, and 50 to 75 for back and legs once again depending on how long the session. What I have found works best for me is to split my intra in half or into thirds. So I would have half pre half during my workout, or one third pre, during and post workout.

I would also mix essential aminos and other ergogenic aids such as creatine, glycerol, betaine, glutamine etc

sandaddiction

Awards
What is better for Intra Carbs...SizeOn or Glycofuse? How many grams of creatine are in SizeOn?

Farlesworth

Farlesworth

Awards
What is better for Intra Carbs...SizeOn or Glycofuse? How many grams of creatine are in SizeOn?

Depends on if you care about getting all highly branched cyclic dextrin or a proprietary blend with HBCD #3.

shockrock3

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Piana's Real Food.....I mix a scoop of that with my pre-workout and there is your carbs

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
How about a Banana an an English Muffin ??

danielmoo

danielmoo

Awards
  • Established
If its only carbohydrates that you're wanting, I'd go with Glycofuse. There are roughly 5g of creatine per serving in SizeOn.

TxHomeGrown

Awards
I've mixed powdered gatorade in ~40oz of water for the last 5-6 years for workouts. I notice a substantial increase in performance/recovery intraworkout, but i'm also a natural ecto with a high metabolism so YMMV