Headaches after BCAA's

01tj

Awards
I usually play basketball every Saturday for 2+ hours and take BCAA's with a little salt as my sports drink. I would always get headache in the afternoon that would nag until evening. I thought it was caffeine related but I started taking BCAA's and doing fasted workouts and the headaches would come same as after basketball. Anyone else run into issues like this?

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I play basketball twice a week....at first I would get headaches, now I rarely do.....I also drink an amino/creatine and a touch of powerade zero calorie drink while I play

what I found out for me anyway was the intense workout and not breathing properly...so whenever theres a lul, like ur waiting for someone to bring up the ball, make sure ur breathing.....also hydration, I stay pretty hyrdrated but now I put even more attention to drinking plenty of fluids before the game ever starts

Delboss731

Awards
  • Established
I am no expert in any field. What I can say is that perhaps it is the salt you are taking alongside your BCAA supplement. Could be spiking blood pressure which is giving you a headache. Just my thoughts, not saying I'm right.

01tj

Awards
I'll try to focus more on breathing tomorrow and see if that helps. It would be nice if I could go back to BCAA's just for something to add to the taste if nothing else.

cheftepesh1

cheftepesh1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I am no expert in any field. What I can say is that perhaps it is the salt you are taking alongside your BCAA supplement. Could be spiking blood pressure which is giving you a headache. Just my thoughts, not saying I'm right.
Unless there are stims in it, not sure how it could effect blood pressure that much. I would say it is from strain or from breathing improperly.

01tj

Awards
I'll have to try it again but I think I get the headaches even when I don't play basketball after taking BCAA's

Rad83

Rad83

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I'll have to try it again but I think I get the headaches even when I don't play basketball after taking BCAA's
May not be a popular opinion but BCAA’s don’t do anything! You’re better off with a sugar free Powerade or something.

DaeshDontSurf

DaeshDontSurf

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
May not be a popular opinion but BCAA’s don’t do anything! You’re better off with a sugar free Powerade or something.
With eaa's out there i don't see how bcaa are justified. if you get all your quality protein in everyday, the logic is iffy on even eaa. and you want a refractory period between feedings - at least so say the protein egg-heads :)

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
have u tried to bcaas when you arent doing strenous activity?

Like you are home watching a movie...sip on some and see..if u still get a headache then id skip the bcaa

Powerade zero calorie can give you flavor while you play...i get bottles for like 80 cents and always have one available for basketball days

banjobounce

banjobounce

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
This. While there may not be all 9 essentials in the bloodstream from bcaa's, they definitely do something: namely, stimulate protein synthesis, which could be a good or bad thing depending on the context, imo.

DaeshDontSurf

DaeshDontSurf

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
This. While there may not be all 9 essentials in the bloodstream from bcaa's, they definitely do something: namely, stimulate protein synthesis, which could be a good or bad thing depending on the context, imo.
How is activating mps, without anything to synthesize, good in any way, especially since you paid money? With the existence of eaa supps, bcaa are *literally* useless. with the existence of whey protein (and really, any and all protein consumed, meeting daily recommendation), eaa are useless (they all have calories). The *only* instance where eaa *might* benefit, are vegans who don't get in the weeds with their plant combinations and total leucine monitoring. Stu Phillips and Brad Schoenfeld have both stated on the record that bcaa are useless and just consume whey.

banjobounce

banjobounce

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
How is activating mps, without anything to synthesize, good in any way, especially since you paid money? With the existence of eaa supps, bcaa are *literally* useless. with the existence of whey protein (and really, any and all protein consumed, meeting daily recommendation), eaa are useless (they all have calories). The *only* instance where eaa *might* benefit, are vegans who don't get in the weeds with their plant combinations and total leucine monitoring. Stu Phillips and Brad Schoenfeld have both stated on the record that bcaa are useless and just consume whey.
It's not good. It's actually detrimental to one's health. I was referring to it being a good thing if one has adequate aminos in the bloodstream from eating a meal pre workout. Bcaa are not "literally" useless. They do have a use: MPS. I will agree that they are pretty obsolete, but they aren't useless.