Coconut oil?

BBiceps

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
What’s your guys opinion about coconut oil, healthy or not and if you use it how and when?

BlockBuilder

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Not sure how to answer this one. Research is all over the place. You’ll get studied saying it’s healthy and others saying it’s not. It’s really quite annoying. I like coconut water though. Lots of potassium

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
It depends on how you define healthy and how you use it.

If you are going to eat 6 tablespoons of it every day in addition to your other fats; probably not good for you.

If you are going to eat 1-2 tablespoons a day in place of some not-so-healthy fats - you will probably see a big health benefit.

It has benefits though - it's an MCT, it is a source of fatty acids that you probably won't get from any other sources and those fatty acids have all sorts of research suggesting benefits.

But too much of it will be bad, and this is true of many things.

saderboy80

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
The debate is that MCT’s are healthy and hep burn fat.
But coconut oil is 90% saturated fat which has negative cholesterol implications.

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I use coconut oil everyday....I cook my eggs in it every morning, I also put it in my morning coffee....theres too many reported benefits imo not to use it, even the scare tactics that say it's the enemy have been debunked from multiple things I've read

with that said, you can see I'm not just drinking it all day long either

even if you don't want to ingest the oil it's still nice to have around the house for things like baths, hair, and other skin needs

BBiceps

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Yeah, I’m doing 1 tea spoon most days with my shake, sometimes cooking my eggs with it so I’m not over doing it but just wanted to hear what you guys think since the researches is, like you guys said, all over the place.

The Express 42

The Express 42

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Use MCT oil unless you’re using it to cook with

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Everything in moderation. I use it as an alternative to other oils for cooking, but have not seen any legitimate reason for adding any oil to shakes, coffee, tea, etc.

Anabaholic

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I use coconut oil for skin health and sometimes I add a bit into a protein shake for a creamier texture when I want that milkshake feel. But I don't think it's the miracle that you sometimes see it advertised as.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
It really isn't the nutritional miracle people say it is.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Everything in moderation. I use it as an alternative to other oils for cooking, but have not seen any legitimate reason for adding any oil to shakes, coffee, tea, etc.
This. I just cook with it. I like the taste and is better for cooking than olive oil.

christ83189

christ83189

Awards
  • Established
It really isn't the nutritional miracle people say it is.
Yes it is! It cures cancer, diabetes, alzheimers, old age and death. Use it for oil pulling and you're immortal

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Yes it is! It cures cancer, diabetes, alzheimers, old age and death. Use it for oil pulling and you're immortal
Have you tried the nothing but coconut oil diet yet? That's where the real magic happens.

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
This. I just cook with it. I like the taste and is better for cooking than olive oil.
I use olive oil for some things still, but try and stick to coconut oil for most. I like the falvor as well, but simply don't fry all that much.

christ83189

christ83189

Awards
  • Established
I use olive oil for some things still, but try and stick to coconut oil for most. I like the falvor as well, but simply don't fry all that much.
I dont like the flavor of coconut oil. I prefer olive oil for cooking

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I dont like the flavor of coconut oil. I prefer olive oil for cooking
You may want to consider avocado oil for high temp cooking. Olive oil doesn’t cope well with high heat whereas avocado oil does - plus its a bona fida ‘healthy oil’ along with olive and coconut.

For me olive oil on dressings, coconut for low/med temp cooking and avocado for higher temp

christ83189

christ83189

Awards
  • Established
You may want to consider avocado oil for high temp cooking. Olive oil doesn’t cope well with high heat whereas avocado oil does - plus its a bona fida ‘healthy oil’ along with olive and coconut.

For me olive oil on dressings, coconut for low/med temp cooking and avocado for higher temp
Yeah i use avocado oil alot too

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Its healthier than most other oils for cooking.

DaeshDontSurf

DaeshDontSurf

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Its healthier than most other oils for cooking.
Due to oxidation via heat (bad), i use avocado oil to cook with. if you've ever seen smoke using whatever oil you use, its oxidizing. avocado can go up to about 600 degrees before it flashes over - healthy too. 1/2 tablespoon will coat a 12" pan for eggs, etc...

extra virgin olive oil, 1 tablespoon a day, raw (no heat) to try to help counteract anastrozole's slight increase in lipid values.

never messed with coconut, but as long as you account for the macros and stay under the 20g a day of saturated (just a recommendation) - use it, it tastes good.

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Same. I started cooking with it a few years ago and haven't gone back to olive oil since.

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I was going to buy Coconut Oil once, but it was 4 times the price of the Canola Oil l in my cart so I put it back on the shelf. Lol

To be fair, I almost never use oil so it doesn't make sense for me to start using a "healthy" oil because it would just add calories to my daily routine. Same with Avocado.. people rave about how healthy it is, but then they also add 500 daily calories for how much they eat of it. Seems counterproductive to me. There are better ways to get nutrients, unless you just genuinely enjoy these things.

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I just use it in my shakes. I like the flavor it adds. Other than that it's great in coffee and great for your skin and beard. There are so many back and forth opinions and studies that I just use it like any other fat source.

DaeshDontSurf

DaeshDontSurf

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Same with Avocado.. people rave about how healthy it is, but then they also add 500 daily calories for how much they eat of it.
yeah, consuming oil just to consume it because "they" say it's healthy is out there. you need a minnimum of fat for hormone synthesis, etc. but 0.5g per kilogram is that minnimum - up to about 70-80g a day as a general rule. like i said, i use avocado once per day to cook eggs - half tablespoon is 60 calories and 7g of fat - and not *all* the oil gets consumed. i do one tablespoon of extra virgin because im on anastrozole and it slightly messes with lipids. those are the only two plant oils i use. i wouldn't use canola (actually rapeseed oil) though - oils from seeds are generally worse than oils from the "meat" of veggies. i eat a half cup of walnuts each day for possible prostate protection - with a recent psa blood test at 0.5 (out of 4.0 max) - it may be working!!!! lol

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I was going to buy Coconut Oil once, but it was 4 times the price of the Canola Oil l in my cart so I put it back on the shelf. Lol

To be fair, I almost never use oil so it doesn't make sense for me to start using a "healthy" oil because it would just add calories to my daily routine. Same with Avocado.. people rave about how healthy it is, but then they also add 500 daily calories for how much they eat of it. Seems counterproductive to me. There are better ways to get nutrients, unless you just genuinely enjoy these things.
This is the case with all good fats. Until I started measuring out food, I could not believe how little a serving of peanut butter is. The same things goes for any nut butter or nuts. I know people that snack on almonds and walnuts to curb appetite. However, most of them cannot figure out why they cannot lose weight. More often than not, they are consuming a lot of calories because nuts are dense, calorie wise. There is nothing wrong with them, I eat some type of nut daily, but do measure it out or I could eat a whole damn 4 pound bag.

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
This is the case with all good fats. Until I started measuring out food, I could not believe how little a serving of peanut butter is. The same things goes for any nut butter or nuts. I know people that snack on almonds and walnuts to curb appetite. However, most of them cannot figure out why they cannot lose weight. More often than not, they are consuming a lot of calories because nuts are dense, calorie wise. There is nothing wrong with them, I eat some type of nut daily, but do measure it out or I could eat a whole damn 4 pound bag.
Oh yeah, a handful for me is already more than the original serving size most of the time when it comes to nuts.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Its fine to use instead of olive oil to grease a pan. Its especially useful during very low carbs, like say you take protein and coconut oil pre workout, the mct's give you energy like carb energy

as far as using it on skin, hair, oil pulling, its nice

DaeshDontSurf

DaeshDontSurf

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
you could not be more correct - i could "snack" on entire bag of smoked almonds or shelled pistachios (<--the best!!!). a serving size of walnuts is a 1/4 cup measuring cup - not big at all!!! that's 190 cals and 18g fat!!! you-must-measure-nuts!!! :)

Ape McGrapes

Ape McGrapes

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I believe I developed an autoimmune issue from consuming to much MCT/Coconut Oil over a number of years. I was doing the Bulletproof Coffee thing.

After sometime I would get horribly sick to my stomach after consuming any of the oil. I also developed a small patch of Vitaligo. My research led me to the oil culprit conclusion. Something with TH17 cells if I remember right.

Melmel247

Awards
Well I bought a gallon one time when the fat burning fad was going around about coconut oil. I was using my calorie counter so I was on a cut and taking2 tbls a day untik I ran out. Never seen any difference but who knows maybe had other health benefits. It is very good applied your skin topically. My sister started mixing it with baking soda for a face mask and her skin looks amazing.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Supplements 3
Supplements 9
Supplements 55
DemntedCowboy Nutrition / Health 1
Evomuse 10