musclemaker

musclemaker

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Great read, some highlights I liked:

"Trace the footsteps of each new advancement—widespread adoption of the cell phone, the introduction of the iPhone, the contagion effect of social media—and you find increasing dissatisfaction across the nation. Time spent on devices must be subtracted from other activities, and often those activities involve physical movement. Convenience is never free."

"An ability to move through our environment created the brains we have. Spatial navigation forms and informs important traits: memory, endurance, creativity, dexterity, ingenuity. Movement makes us healthy. When surrendering this birthright, of course we’ll feel depressed."

"300 million people suffer from depression worldwide, costing the global economy $118 billion. Medication, the authors continue, can be expensive and efficacy is questionable, while psychotherapy is sometimes inaccessible as well as costly. A gym membership might not be the end-all, but it is certainly less expensive and undoubtedly healthier."

Study confirms lifting weights reduces depression | Big Think

CDale

CDale

Awards
"An ability to move through our environment created the brains we have. Spatial navigation forms and informs important traits: memory, endurance, creativity, dexterity, ingenuity. Movement makes us healthy. When surrendering this birthright, of course we’ll feel depressed."
Never thought about that aspect. Good read.

RiseAbove

RiseAbove

Awards
  • First Up Vote
The activity is freeing, it allows you to be present and focus on the task at hand. Which in turn takes your attention off of the things that are bothering you are causing you to feel depressed. Think about it, you are in the zone, working out, lifting weights, checking out your reflection in the mirror. You are not thinking about that bill you need to pay or that mistake you made in that meeting etc.. You are present and you are connecting the mind and body!

Rad83

Rad83

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I dunno, I see a lot of obese people that are happy af in Pennsylvania just goin about their lives flaunting their fat asses and stuffing their faces....It’s disgusting

bigsmall

Banned
Awards
I find it meditative - without out it, I would surely be in jail lol...

ELROCK

ELROCK

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I always feel better after I get a workout in.

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Nice read! Gotta love getting a nice workout in and releasing those endorphins.

musclemaker

musclemaker

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I find it meditative - without out it, I would surely be in jail lol...
Joe Rogan said almost the same exact thing on his podcast yesterday. He was asked why do you workout, his response, "So I don't kill anyone." lol

carguy123

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
It helps me for sure. To be honest its always been medicine for me.
That is my daily therapy. If I miss a workout I am not the best person to be around.
Yup totally agree with these^^

Just having a hour or 2 where I can block out all distractions and not worry about all the little bs issues we face on a daily basis is a blessing.