Caffeine withdrawal= Depression?

SouthPawSD

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Anyone else feel depressed when cutting back on the caffeine? Maybe depressed isn't the right word? For me I feel super content, Im usually super extroverted/energetic but when coming of high amounts (700mg+/day) I become very quiet. More so just curious of others feel the same way? I have a few friends who say they don't feel any different coming off heavy stims. Just trying to get some feedback on how people feel having "withdrawals" from caffeine. Thanks!

bigsmall

Banned
Awards
Feel the same way. I don't do stims anymore and I am more focused and having better workouts. Sick of the ups and downs and ever increasing tolerance and lack of performance.

ddfox

ddfox

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Way past time for me to cycle off high stims. Not looking forward to it.

PS - In the past, Tyrosine seemed to help me.

SouthPawSD

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Way past time for me to cycle off high stims. Not looking forward to it.

PS - In the past, Tyrosine seemed to help me.
Glad I'm not the only one who feels this way from withdrawals lol.

Interesting idea about the tyrosine. I'll for sure go e it a go and see. I'm planning on atleast cutting out stims for 1month, if not forever. I've learned it doesn't seem to be worth the withdrawals.

Anyone else use something to help with the withdrawals?

NoAddedHmones

NoAddedHmones

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote

Interesting idea about the tyrosine. I'll for sure go e it a go and see. I'm planning on atleast cutting out stims for 1month, if not forever. I've learned it doesn't seem to be worth the withdrawals.

400-680mg of Rhodiola standardized to 3% rosavins and 1% salidrosides has a huge impact on reducing the length and severity of stopping caffeine

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
tyrosine helps a little maybe Ive tried it over the years, too much got me too stimulated and uncomfortable I once took like 5 ,7,10 grams I forget lol

l theanine helps withdrawals and relaxing. Phenibut is good for withdrawal but only used twice a week . Something you could do one day take l theanine, once day phenibut, one day kratom, for a few days or whenever the caffeine withdrawals are gone

Ricky10

Ricky10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer

L-Tyrosine is key, Rhodiola is also a great suggestion.
Also consider DHEA, 7-Keto, Pregnenolone, Codyceps, as well as good ole quality Vitamin-C.

bonbon

bonbon

Awards
I get tired and agitated without coffee, also some nasty headache starting from ~24h caffeine free and it can last couple of days. Acetaminophen/ibuprofen work for this quite nicely.

bosskardo

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I get tired and agitated without coffee, also some nasty headache starting from ~24h caffeine free and it can last couple of days. Acetaminophen/ibuprofen work for this quite nicely.
phenylalanine might help against the headache
500mg

Slims

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Not too sure if it's directly related or maybe just me but I'm loving Huperzine. It provides such a calm and solid focus, especially pre-workout.

Androflaven

Androflaven

Awards
Used to feel depressed and anxious after coming off of caffeine, for about 48 hours, very bad head space. I'm in better shape these days and quitting doesn't have the same mental effects on me, but I'm still slow and almost useless for the first 48 hours.

BlockBuilder

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I find it easiest to ween yourself off slowly

bruno.camilo

bruno.camilo

Awards
  • Established
Pretty normal and i would like to highlight ur dose, it is really high 700mg+ is a lot of caffeine my friend, a lot. Dont u shake at this dosage(hands for example)?

I try to keep at 420mg. Actually i keep at 420mg, only one day (Saturday) that i am very tired i use 630mg.

JYD

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I stopped pwo’s with amounts of 375+ caffeine years ago. It made me anxious and agitated. I can’t imagine what 700+ would do!

The recommendation is to not go over 400 per day, IIRC.

I’ve had success using Tyrosine and Rhodiolo as well, but like everything else, cycling those is a good idea.

The best approach is to ween off and maybe try taking 100mg in the morning and 100mg of caffeine at 1pm if you need. And stop there. Add betalinine pwo if you need.

I’m 42 now and find that less caffeine is better for me, but I’m also not a bodybuilder so I’m not looking for crazy energy in the gym these days, rather just looking to maintain a good physique. Good luck!

SouthPawSD

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Thanks to everyone who replied, some good info in here. Hopefully others will use the search function and find this haha

Outofbody

Outofbody

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I've been unsuccessful at quitting or even cutting back on coffee. So instead, I've embraced my love for it and increased my consumption.

RiseAbove

RiseAbove

Awards
  • First Up Vote
Oh YEA! I do everything I can do not get my body used to caffeine. I take it at different times on different days. Even still I feel groggy tired and sluggish until I have my espresso or PWO. Then I am chatty kathy, and in a good mood etc. I agree with some other people in this thread who said ween yourself off slowly. A little less a day. Good luck and let us know what you do and decide.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
What I would do, and I am speaking from personal experience, is to rotate the product you use and only use a stim when you need it.

I always thought I was stim tolerate, but I relied on stims too much. I took a long break, but I weened myself off the caffeine before I went cold turkey. I then took about 4 weeks off. I know use stims for 8-16 weeks before I take a full week off. During that time, I rotate the product between higher stim and lower stim products. I only use a stimulant 3-4 times a week as well. Doing this lower stim products still hit me pretty decently and I do not need to take extended breaks.

aaronuconn

aaronuconn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
400-680mg of Rhodiola standardized to 3% rosavins and 1% salidrosides has a huge impact on reducing the length and severity of stopping caffeine
Came in to suggest Rhodiola. I also like Ashwagandha when not consuming caffeine, although this is slightly relaxing for some people

ohiostate2827

ohiostate2827

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I gradually cut back on stims so it's easier on the body

Outofbody

Outofbody

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I just came here to say, live fast, die hard. Drink coffee, enjoy life

jtmass

jtmass

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar

Not sure if it works, but, Blackstonelabs have come out with a new supplement called Adrenal Care. Check it out.

IconicForm

IconicForm

Board Sponsor
Awards
you may also consider a low dose of pregnenolone. Pregnenolone has been shown by many to increase their sensitivity to stimulants, and has aided in energy levels and mood when cutting down on stimulants.

Our Neuro P5 is a really cost effective topical Pregnenolone...may want to give it a try.

u_e_s_i

u_e_s_i

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Coming off stims after a long time using causes lethargy and lethargy is often a precursor of feeling down or depressed.
I try not to have caffeine on non-workout days to ease my tolerance.
As others have said 700+mg is a lot aha so coming off would be extra bad. As noaddedhrmones said rhodiola's a good supp and personally I make an extra note to take some PES shift on days when I don't have caffeine.
Perhaps try coming off caffeine during a deload week as you're gonna feel pretty poor and training won't be as productive

Piledahlaren

Piledahlaren

Awards
  • Established
I did matcha tea on my stimbreak worked really good, just quitting it makes me sleep for 1-2 days and feeling ****ty

mase1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I take 800mg some days. Bad habit, I actually feel more tired on those days as if more harm than help. Need to ramp down, just mentally tell myself I need it.

u_e_s_i

u_e_s_i

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Interesting fact, caffeine addiction is a clinically recognised condition

rodefeeh

rodefeeh

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I used to take a 2 week stim break once a year along with a couple smaller breaks. This really seemed to keep my tolerance in check. I never really got headaches but felt like a lump of sh!t for the first 5 days and definitely wasn't fun to be around. I would pair my stim breaks with a total exercise break or deload. With two young kids, it's now unrealistic to take stim breaks. I havent taken a break in almost 2 years. Now I lift or cardio first thing in am on 200-350mg caffeine. Then I'll have a cup of coffee right before I leave work to perk me back up for my kids. This seems to be working for my lifestyle these days with helping to maintain a reasonable caffeine tolerance.

Ricky10

Ricky10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I take 800mg some days. Bad habit, I actually feel more tired on those days as if more harm than help. Need to ramp down, just mentally tell myself I need it.
It certainly is a viscous cycle. On a good note, I was legitimately melancholy and depressed before I got on my chronic stim ride. I know it’s certainly not the best thing for my health, but it still works for me and my vitals are always perfect. Most of my cardiac tissue is probably now dysfunctional, but I feel great!

This is after 10 years or so of what most people would call excessive. My daily intake is often well above 800mg...particularly during overnight work shifts. Then there are all the non-caffeine stimulants that contribute to the ride. :)

Maybe I can cut back when I start working days. I will never give up my PWO though!

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
It certainly is a viscous cycle. On a good note, I was legitimately melancholy and depressed before I got on my chronic stim ride. I know it’s certainly not the best thing for my health, but it still works for me and my vitals are always perfect. Most of my cardiac tissue is probably now dysfunctional, but I feel great!

This is after 10 years or so of what most people would call excessive. My daily intake is often well above 800mg...particularly during overnight work shifts. Then there are all the non-caffeine stimulants that contribute to the ride. :)

Maybe I can cut back when I start working days. I will never give up my PWO though!
:wave2:

bigsmall

Banned
Awards

I predict that one day - the thought of PWO's will make you feel sick.