• First Up Vote
which do you prefer?

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Sublingual for me. I'm always holding my girls so transdermal is something I need to be cautious with and I don't want to think about it. Oral did not work well for me and increased my e2 pretty fast.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Sublingual for me. I'm always holding my girls so transdermal is something I need to be cautious with and I don't want to think about it. Oral did not work well for me and increased my e2 pretty fast.
I've never tried sublingual, but I don't care for oral either[except when I'm getting it, lol].

I know you are a fan of dhea/preg thanks for replying!!!

Studhorse

Studhorse

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I prefer TD. oral DHEA didn't do much for me. I'm glad they brought Dermacrine back.

cheftepesh1

cheftepesh1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Personally, I am for transfermals as I have found with the ones I’ve used in the past they have been more effective for me.

delsolrob

delsolrob

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I've not tried sublingual, but TD has always worked well for me. I remember the first time I tried dermacrine back in the day (when it was still a lotion and not a gel)...hands down better than any oral base I'd previously used. I actually

I've recently also tried td pregnenolone standalone...worked awesome, even at ~17mg. I never saw any benefits when using it in cap form

kelvarnsen

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
This is interesting. I read an article somewhere (wish I could find it again) that oral dhea works better for raising free test and sublingual was best for elevating DHEA-S levels. Maybe that's why you got an E2 spike.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
interesting read, google 'dermacrine write up' truama1 does a good job of explaining why transdermal is better than oral.

I wanted to bump that thread but it seems to be locked....

ManuR

Awards
  • Established
oral gives me huge estro sides, high hr and bp, heart beat irregularities etc..
stay away from that ****
dosage was 50mg a day for a week, had to drop it asap

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
oral gives me huge estro sides, high hr and bp, heart beat irregularities etc..
stay away from that ****
dosage was 50mg a day for a week, had to drop it asap
Amazing how different everyone is. 50 mg DHEA and 25 mg pregnenolone daily with no issues at all.

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Anyone have bloodwork using transdermals? Not bashing and very interested.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
This is interesting. I read an article somewhere (wish I could find it again) that oral dhea works better for raising free test and sublingual was best for elevating DHEA-S levels. Maybe that's why you got an E2 spike.
Oral is notoriously unstable as it passes the liver and it is impossible to predict any conversion. What you are referencing is likely the following, which does outline the differences in administration. This general information is available readily through various publications.

Topical DHEA
If personal biochemistry does not allow for DHEA-S to be readily converted to DHEA, the topical route may be preferred.
When administered topically, DHEA restores skin elasticity, relieves symptoms of vaginal dryness and atrophy (with vaginal application), and generally improves many low-androgen symptoms [16]. The caveat with topical DHEA administration is that it does not undergo first-pass metabolism through the liver (no liver passage - no sulfation), so although a subsequent increase in salivary and blood spot DHEA is observed, DHEA-S levels remain unchanged. The levels of the hormone in saliva represent the "free" hormone fraction, available for tissue uptake. Animal studies show that with topical DHEA treatment, the unsulfated DHEA crosses into the brain and gives rise to DHEA-S right on site. With topical DHEA supplementation, the practitioner has to rely on monitoring the patient’s progress with improving symptomatology, which may be a challenge in and of itself. If low androgen symptoms persist with topical DHEA treatment, switching to oral dosing may prove to be a more effective strategy. It is important to know that topical DHEA therapy will raise serum and salivary DHEA levels, but have little effect on DHEA-S levels in these body fluids.

Oral DHEA
With oral DHEA administration we see a substantial spike in DHEA-S levels in all commonly tested body fluids (saliva, blood spot, serum, or urine) (undergoes first-pass metabolism and gets sulfated), and a marked improvement in symptoms as well. However, once DHEA becomes sulfated to DHEA-S, it is unable to cross the blood-brain barrier (DHEA is non-polar and crosses the blood-brain barrier easily, whereas DHEA-S is polar and does not cross into the brain from periphery). It is plausible to assume that DHEA-S that arises from first-pass metabolism after oral DHEA administration behaves in a similar manner to endogenous DHEA-S and contributes to the body’s biological reservoir of DHEA, readily converting to DHEA when the need arises.

Troche DHEA
How you take DHEA definitely impacts how much gets into the brain and how fast. For example, troche (sublingual) DHEA goes directly into the bloodstream (measured in serum) and because it’s not sulfated, it crosses directly into the brain and other tissues. Some patients are particularly sensitive even to small amounts (5 mg) of DHEA administered this way - with agitation being a common side effect. In this case, taking DHEA orally could have a more gentle uplifting sensation of wellbeing.