Advice for a 43 yr old lifter

Bigandweak

Awards
Hey everyone , always great advice on here, I'll make this fast. I'm 43, been lifting 20 years , been on a steady decline of muscle loss and strength for about the last 6 years now , diet is not great but I don't go nuts eating junk. I'm 241 pounds at 6ft and pretty weak now in all major lifts. Have gained lots of fat around the midsection only. My question is what would be better ? 7 keto, dhea or sarms ? I'm looking for someone in my age with first hand experience, also what's the safest risk vs reward wise, thanks everyone !

Bigandweak

Awards
What if my test levels are within range ? Or do you think that's my issue from what I describe ?

bristolbuild

Awards
Diet is #1, without that the rest is a waste of money. I was in the same position about 19 months ago. I'm 46, 5'3". Went from 183 lbs to 177 and peaked at 201 about a month ago, it's been life changing but worth the dedication

Bigandweak

Awards
I here you bristol, but dieting seems to cause me to lose more muscle

Michael_scarn

Michael_scarn

Awards
I mean. I'm only 26 and haven't ran into an issue like that but from what I'm hearing it sound like low testosterone could be an issue. Definitely do some more research on the topic. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

bristolbuild

Awards
Ok, well this is what I did prior to any "supplements" for the first 10 months or so. 1 to 1.5 GM protein/lb of body weight. I keep to about 250 minimum/day. No bread, sugar, junk food, fast food, pasta, flour, eat 6 times a day about every 3 hours. More details but you can't possibly lose muscle

bristolbuild

Awards
Good point as well, get you blood done before anything and check estrogen and IGF as well. If you are dedicated to doing it do it right!!

Bigandweak

Awards
Thanks for the advice guys , aging sucks lol no thoughts on sarms ?

Michael_scarn

Michael_scarn

Awards
I've ran them and had decent results. Rad helped trim me up and lgd helped pack on a little mass

bristolbuild

Awards
I just got ost and lig and waiting until about October. Did some pro hormones and got decent results but it shut down my test and fcked my liver enzymes. Took two months to get them straight, won't do pros anymore. In truth, real hear is still cheaper, much more effective, test and Var great mild cycle and effective....IF You Diet!!!

Michael_scarn

Michael_scarn

Awards
True. I just did test and mast and had some really great results

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
41 here and agree on trying to get your diet locked in before giving anything else a go. Aging sucks, but I'd start with the easiest answer first.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
What if my test levels are within range ? Or do you think that's my issue from what I describe ?
It certainly could be. You should be seeing a doctor in your 40s anyway, so use this time to get tested and make sure they do a full hormone panel with CBC/lipids. You don't want to just check test levels.

joonp

Awards
Im 46 and to be honest everything is a ware until yr nutrition is in order. Started at 5'10" 165lbs and now 218 at 11% bf. I found intermittent fasting worked wonders for me. Get rid of all processed foods. If u dont cook it fresh dont eat it. In doing 250 protein 450 carb broke up over 5 meals. Make most of ur carb sources rice and veggies. As far as sarms i used them to get my feet wet but for the cost/benefit i would buy aas. Aas arent fat burners tho and if ur bf is high id get it down before use

phoenix4

phoenix4

Awards
Ok man, many bros here to help you.. I'm 42, my absolutely best moments of losing fat where when diet was on point 100%. I mean.. macros calculated and seriously dieting (not mean: "only eat junk food on weekends").
Diet diet diet diet diet

Then..... sarms can help a bit,

Bigandweak

Awards
Thanks for all the great advice ! I agree that my diet needs to be on point for a while before exploring other areas , I just felt like with my age even with a strict diet I wouldn't make any gains.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Diet is important, but not as important as getting yourself checked out. Regardless of your goals, you need to go for general health.

kelvarnsen

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Agreed, your first priority should be getting a full battery of bloods done.

I'd do a full hormone panel
Thyroid panel
Vitamin D

Trying to use Sarms or gear without knowing your bloods is like driving without your headlights on. You may do more damage than good.