Is the supplement industry bad again?

Zero Tolerance

Awards
  • Established
Before Andro and Norandro, basically nothing worked really good. I suppose Creatine was pretty good - but nothing like prohormones. Before Creatine, did anything really work? Hot Stuff was big in the beginning, but it fizzled out. For awhile, Boron was in every magazine. So was Dibencozide (B12) and Wild Mexican Yam. There were tons of things you could buy that didn't bearly do anything. Ornithine Alphaketogluterate (OKG). Vanadyl Sulfate. Smilax Root (Sarsaparilla). I tried them all years ago..

Now that prohormones are gone, what's going to happen to the industry? Is it going to be like it was with all that crap I mentioned up above? I know those things have positives, but they were all touted as Steroid replacements in the 80s and 90s.

Is anything going to work? Does anything look promising? Is there a list of all the new supplements and what they're "supposed" to do?

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Before Andro and Norandro, basically nothing worked really good. I suppose Creatine was pretty good - but nothing like prohormones. Before Creatine, did anything really work? Hot Stuff was big in the beginning, but it fizzled out. For awhile, Boron was in every magazine. So was Dibencozide (B12) and Wild Mexican Yam. There were tons of things you could buy that didn't bearly do anything. Ornithine Alphaketogluterate (OKG). Vanadyl Sulfate. Smilax Root (Sarsaparilla). I tried them all years ago..

Now that prohormones are gone, what's going to happen to the industry? Is it going to be like it was with all that crap I mentioned up above? I know those things have positives, but they were all touted as Steroid replacements in the 80s and 90s.

Is anything going to work? Does anything look promising? Is there a list of all the new supplements and what they're "supposed" to do?
Hahahahahahahah!!!! Thats really a loaded question!!!. I have an experiment for you. Go into GNC and ask that exact same question word for word except tell them you have $500 cash and you don't know what to do with it!

Rogue Drone

Awards
  • Established
Prohormones are restricted but not eliminated, people will still work the angles.

It's like it's always been, companies like DS, Avant and ALRI will produce some good new stuff and others will hype crap.

The advantage the consumer has now versus the past is the net, easy access to corroborative data and the ability to request accountability.

blakkstarr

Board Supporter
Awards
Prohormones are restricted but not eliminated, people will still work the angles.

It's like it's always been, companies like DS, Avant and ALRI will produce some good new stuff and others will hype crap.

The advantage the consumer has now versus the past is the net, easy access to corroborative data and the ability to request accountability.
The advantage the consumer has now is the INTERNET and forums like this one. Years ago before the internet you had magazine's and magazine ad's with the classifieds in the back, which 95% of the time were rip off's and were full of so much hype you were screwed anyway you looked at it. The supplement industry I think has gotten better, supplements have gotten better, sure we have some garbage out there, but with forum's and reviews your not so likely to get duped and have some resource for 1st hand user reviews.

cpa5oh

Awards
  • Established
Yeah when I was younger I'd walk into GNC and the onlyperson I could ask about whether a supplement worked was the counter person...who never knew **** (mags were and always will be unreliable for supplement feedback.) So basically if I wanted to see if something worked I'd have to buy it myself and try it out.

DS, ALRI and Legal Gear aren't going let the supplement industry slip totally back into the Hot Stuf/Strength Systems USA/Cybergenics age.

WYD02

Awards
  • Established
It's funny. Now that PH's are gone, the industry has taken a major hit in terms of productive anabolic agents. On one side, it's a terrible thing, on the other, it just makes all of us strive to find those rear chemicals, herbs, and substances that can produce positive effects like we were all used to. I remember back in the day when creatine just hit the market mainstream. I was back in high school and it was the best thing since sliced bread. I bought a bottle and actually did, or at least I thought, had great results... of course, I was new to lifting and my test was through the roof :D. I remember purchasing methoxy-pro and hiding it from everyone because I thought it was this huge secret that would make me huge. Ahhh yes.. we all get screwed. The industry has advanced though. The PH ban was freaking people out for 2 years or so before it actually happened and all the companies were aware of this. Of course they didn't sit back blindly waiting for their company to come to an end. A big push was made for research to continue and find products that would yield results. Not until recently have we seen some of those products surface. I think it'll be a while before anything compares, but there are still some positive products out there. There will be more. It's just a matter of time before companies are cranking out some really interesting products.

anonymousness

Banned
Awards
It's funny. Now that PH's are gone, the industry has taken a major hit in terms of productive anabolic agents. On one side, it's a terrible thing, on the other, it just makes all of us strive to find those rear chemicals, herbs, and substances that can produce positive effects like we were all used to. I remember back in the day when creatine just hit the market mainstream. I was back in high school and it was the best thing since sliced bread. I bought a bottle and actually did, or at least I thought, had great results... of course, I was new to lifting and my test was through the roof :D. I remember purchasing methoxy-pro and hiding it from everyone because I thought it was this huge secret that would make me huge. Ahhh yes.. we all get screwed. The industry has advanced though.
Hah, part of why access to good information esp. through boards like AM is a double edged sword, you can't do a "cycle" of glutamine and dessicated liver tabs and get HYOOGE!1 through placebo.:think:

The Experiment

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I remember getting screwed with Guggul and Glutamine.

Goat

Awards
The supp industry is one of the largest industry scams running in the USA. There are a few companies out there that are AT BEST....moderately reliable/responsible. But they will still happily sell you a ton of HMB and whatever else without mentioning that it won't do crappola for your hard earned $40.

I would have more confidence in knowing what I was going to get from a product, if I was buying crack rock off a snotty nosed street corner drug dealer sporting gold teef's and a gun in his waist band.

If the supp companies were in a more visible industry, they would have been shut down or imprisoned.

And before anyone jumps in with "oohhh...you should do yur research first anyway or you are a loser." Consider this, have you done the same amount of research for every single product you own to the same extent that you have researched supps?

It would require 24/7 that you be seated at your computer researching chairs, desks sofas, orange juice, Vitamins a-z, light bulbs, candles, toenail clippers, gasoline additives etc...

Forget it, that's why we have regulation and that's why if the supp industry wants to continue it needs to clean up the crap before Senators' McCain and Boxer come do it for them.

The Experiment

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
You bring some aight points but thats true with every industry. The fortunate thing is now there's nothing really *that* dangerous to where any more supplements will get pulled. I mean, I doubt we're going to see a new emergence of Pheremones from people other than lets say ALRI or even Legal Gear for that matter. All most supplement companies can do is offer Neapolitan flavored Whey, a "Test booster" consisting of Tribulus and ZMA, and Creatine Monohydrate. These are hardly dangerous supplements. I suppose at this point, it doesn't matter where they are getting it from. I'm glad supplements like Superdrol and Ergomax LMG have short availabilities to purchase them. This way, its a lot tougher for idiots to acquire them.

Zero Tolerance

Awards
  • Established
Since Ergomax LMG is still legal, is it illegal at AM to ask for a source? (I'm NOT asking for a source!) Otherwise.. I did find one website that's got it for sale but the order form doesn't look cool at all...

BMW

Awards
  • Established
actually imo this is perfect. i love the fact that there are only a handful of faithful companies that produce quality products . i love the fact that the current new hormones are released to the public in short burst for a limited time. this allow those who truly have a love in bodybuilding to experience the goodness of whats availible while the crap is released to people who do know what the fuk their doing. plus as we can see how much we develop a personal realtionship with the *true* sup companies like the ones sponsored on our site, sure 100% of their products may not live up to their hype but its the fact that they find a way to improve and make it work is what i really appreciate. so i say yeah let keep it all in the dark we deserve it.

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
*shrug* a few supplements really work (though most of them are just food, and what works is fixing peoples diets, for example fish oil, whey), creatine being the only exception that I can think of here. There are some other supplements that do something very minor and cost a fortune (citrulline malate among other things). Mostly though the **** just doesn't do anything - they base the supplement on animal research, where the animals were fed grams per kg of bodyweight, and then release the product claiming it'll do the same thing for humans in mg per kg dosages when animal and human physiology are vastly different.

DuiLee

Banned
Awards
Obviously theres alot of crap out on the supplement market these days just like there was 10 years ago but one major difference is that supplements are a multibillion dollar industry now. Companies are struggling to find that "miracle supp" that everyone will have to have so they're dumping tons of money into research. At this time I see these companies attempting to create new ways of producing PH-similar products that can slide through loopholes in the ban. Once SD gets banned I'm sure there will be another supp that takes its place within a year. Maybe one day they'll finally get one on the market thats safe enough for the FDA to approve it for long term sale. Thats my take on the subject, although I don't pretend to be an expert on the supplement industry.

DR.D

DR.D

Awards
  • Established
Just seeing the word "Cybergenics" sends a chill down my spine and makes my wallet really nervous.
Yeah, I remember blowing 120 bucks on a Hardgainers kit back in the day! What a bunch of crap, but anabolics had just been made sched. III's and people were willing to try it. Sources were harder to find 15 years ago.