Cocoa powder - is 50g a day the way to go?

BeardedBreast

BeardedBreast

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
25g divided doses?

Really intrigued by the last thread and just stocked up.

I work out very early,so I'm thinking 25 g in post wo shake then another shake with 25 g in the afternoon.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I just updated that thread - and I hate to become the crazed cocoa powder guy, but I love this stuff. I've been taking roughly 30 grams a day, and maybe because I don't measure precisely I am closer to 40 grams some days - but I'm noticing good effects. 15 grams in a large coffee gives a thick and just slightly gritty drink. 25 grams would be a large dose. The study on AM a few weeks ago showed muscle increases with 0.375 mg/kg of bodyweight I believe.

drseuss6969

drseuss6969

Awards
  • Established
I just updated that thread - and I hate to become the crazed cocoa powder guy, but I love this stuff. I've been taking roughly 30 grams a day, and maybe because I don't measure precisely I am closer to 40 grams some days - but I'm noticing good effects. 15 grams in a large coffee gives a thick and just slightly gritty drink. 25 grams would be a large dose. The study on AM a few weeks ago showed muscle increases with 0.375 mg/kg of bodyweight I believe.
Are you just using Hershey's unsweetened?

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
It's 0.375g/Kg. I'm 212 and take 35g - you can probably save some money unless you really do weigh a lot. I use regular old Hershey's Unsweetened - Sam's Club - $7 :) I couldn't find a free version of the full study text, so I dose mine later in the day, a few hours after workouts, in case it might blunt some beneficial training inflammation.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
It's 0.375g/Kg. I'm 212 and take 35g - you can probably save some money unless you really do weigh a lot. I use regular old Hershey's Unsweetened - Sam's Club - $7 :)
Sorry - yeah, grams, not mg. And yes, I just use Hersheys Natural Unsweetened powder...$3-4 at the super market.

jake1986

Awards

You mix unsweetened cocoa powder with black coffee?

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
Sorry - yeah, grams, not mg. And yes, I just use Hersheys Natural Unsweetened powder...$3-4 at the super market.
If you have a Sam's Club nearby, check it out - they have a 23oz container for about $7.

regdabyenoh

Awards
Anything else it would mix well with or could I just dump it in a Protein shake? Don't drink coffee.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
BeardedBreast

BeardedBreast

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Tastes great with vanilla protein powder!

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I may try the protein powder thing. I like it in the coffee- becomes more like hot cocoa and I like the extra kick from the caffeine with it. I've actually been wondering what this would be like with some MCT powder, etc. I feel motivated/focused on things. I'm normally pretty anxious and driven, but now it's like....I'm relaxed and have more of a mental focus that allows me to put the small stuff aside and leaves more room to get the big stuff done, if that makes sense.

emiliozapata

emiliozapata

Awards
  • Established
a few things you should know- the cocoa plant is a very efficient concentrater of cadmium (natural and/or or pollution). Very limited brands based on a few varieties can be safely consumed at the doses you are talking about on a daily- I struggle with this too and hate limiting my intake- a workaround for epi-catechin may be this=
Swanson Ultra Organic Cocoa Polyphenols Extract 700 mg 30 Org Vegcap - Swanson Health Products
note= this is especially concerning if you also use coffee as it also concentrates cadmium

I just picked up a 2 month supply and will use along with cocoa powder bulk

source (among many)
ConsumerLab, Natural News Labs both confirm high levels of toxic cadmium in popular cacao powders - NaturalNews.com

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
Eh, I take Spirulina for heavy metal removal :) But thanks for the info/link to Swanson's!

ma70

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
a few things you should know- the cocoa plant is a very efficient concentrater of cadmium (natural and/or or pollution). Very limited brands based on a few varieties can be safely consumed at the doses you are talking about on a daily- I struggle with this too and hate limiting my intake- a workaround for epi-catechin may be this=
Swanson Ultra Organic Cocoa Polyphenols Extract 700 mg 30 Org Vegcap - Swanson Health Products
note= this is especially concerning if you also use coffee as it also concentrates cadmium

source (among many)
ConsumerLab, Natural News Labs both confirm high levels of toxic cadmium in popular cacao powders - NaturalNews.com
How much epicatechin is in the Swanson product? Just curious.

KilaCali

KilaCali

Banned
Awards

source (among many)
gonna have t o check these out, thanks for the past!