Kava Kava?

darius

How many of you have tried Kava Kava? What did it do? I'm trying to decide whether or not if I should buy some. I've read up on it and supposedly it gets rid of anxiety and relaxes you.

aflexaholic

aflexaholic

Board Sponsor
Awards
I liked it but It got banned in CA so I can't get it anymore. Well at least not from anywhere around here.

s.norman

Awards
  • Established
try phenibut 1-fast has just lowered his prices big-time. phenibut relaxes me after a rough night of work and i have been using it for a couple months now. it seems to help me sleep better and i am glad that it is cheaper now,

darius

I thought with Phenibut, tolerance goes up crazy after the first dose. If not, I guess I'd want to give it a try.

s.norman

Awards
  • Established
tolerance does go up after 4-5 days so lets say you needed 2g initially then after a week or so you may need 4g for good effect. for me, tolerance leveled off at that point and i did not need to keep inc. dosages. w/ the price dec. and the anti-anxiety effects w/o the sedation (like benzos), phenibut works for me

zed

zed

Board Supporter
Awards
kava is good to pop a few if you are stressed. i think it definately chills you out and gives you a more happy feeling.. with this being said you have to have the mind frame to let it work for you. i don't think it will correct major stress, depression, anger issues,etc. This is from personal experience. I am generally a happy and upbeat person and in the past i'd pop a few before a particularly stressful day of work and it's done the trick. some people also take it to chill out before bed. It can be toxic to the liver at high doses I read somewhere. So i'd never take it frequently.

bige211

Awards
yea it can be toxic to your liver, i work at vitamin world and it used to be in alot of metapausal stuff, but they reciently took it out because i guess some women were gettin crazy with it

poison

poison

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I'm new here, but I'll chime in.

I use kava regularly. It is legal in CA, though they are required to put a warning label on it, because of some liver damage suffered by users in Germany, and its subsequent bannination there.

http://www.kickbackwithkava.com/Liver/European_Studies.htm

The fact is, there have been no reports that I can find of liver damage from kava in the US; that the people who had issues in Germany were taking an extract of the bark and leaves (traditionally avoided in polynesia), not whole root; and the German extract is extremely high potency.

http://www.kickbackwithkava.com/Liver/UH_Study_April2003.htm

Polynesians have been using it for over 2000 years with the most serious issue being a scaly condition of the skin with chronic heavy usage that disappears with cessation of supplementation. Basically a non-problem.

I use www.kavaking.com for my Kava needs. Whole Foods carries it too. I just found out about a fijian market by my house that carries it for cheap, so I'll be checking that too.

For me, it is like having a couple beers without the negative effects. It relaxes me, and I get a great buzz off of it; if I use enough, about two *heaping* tablespoons, it can knock me for a serious loop, like "whoa, i can't walk straight, heh, heh!" it is a totally positive experience with zero drawbacks. I love it.

If you google it, you can find plenty about it...

Here is a decent link for general info:

http://www.iherb.com/iherb/kavkavin.html

italionstallion

Awards
  • Established
i just bought some from iamshaman, but this stuff tastes like dirt. does anyone know how to make it taste like im not drinking pure hell.

btw, my friends and i tried phenibut for the first time 2 nights ago, then we had about 12 beers. i recommend not using 4 g for your first ever dose. we started with 2.5, but didnt feel anything, so we did another 3/4 tsp, that stuff knocks you on the ground. i really felt it the next day, i could barely walk like 15 hours after i took it

poison

poison

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
A jamba like fruit shake masks it the best, I've found. I just use water, and enjoy my numb tongue. :lol:

darius

I bought some Kava and Kanna (supposedly acts as a SSRI) gel caps from the iamshaman site and will be testing those out. I also got some Psychotropin, which has Phenibut. If I like it, I will just buy the bulk Phenibut powder and see if there is a big difference because its cheaper.

Rogue Drone

Awards
  • Established
Kava Lactones are barely soluable in water,if at all, the key to using it is to soak in cold water or juice, to mask the taste, and squeeze the shiite out of the root repeatedly through a cloth to extract these actives.

Iamshaman sells the kava from http://www.konakavafarm.com check their site for recipes/use instructions.

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
Thumbs down for Kava.
Tried a couple different brands - all produced a similar effect: none.

poison

poison

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Thumbs down for Kava.
Tried a couple different brands - all produced a similar effect: none.
Extract or whole powdered root?

There is no way the whole powdered root at a high enough dose wouldn't affect you.

The WPR is more effective than extracts.

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
just 2 different extracts I believe

poison

poison

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Well, try the www.kavaking.com . Extract doesn't do much for me either.

I can't find the link, but it takes double the kavalactones as extract to have the same effect as the powder. Plus, it takes about half the time to take effect.

Cosmo

Awards
I tried the 84% kavalactone gels from konakava and didn't feel much at all at one or two caps, when i took 3 i went partially blind for a few hours and felt really disoriented, on the bottle is says "As the elders use to say, "if you drink too much kava root, you must walk backwards, so the ground does not come up to greet you"" im sure the stuff is good, guess some people are just immune to the good effects of it. Guess i'll try the regular powdered root next.

Lean One

Awards
  • Established
I got a 2 tbs sample of Kava powder from iamshaman for free with a recent order. I heard dumping it into hot coacoa is a good way to take it. Also, I've read that caffeine with kava synergises very well. Perhaps I'll try it and report my results here. ;)

poison

poison

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Hey, try what you guys want, but realize that whole powdered root is much more effective and strong. Extract sounds nice, but does not pan out in reality. There are lots of active components which are filttered out in the extract.

intv

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Hey, try what you guys want, but realize that whole powdered root is much more effective and strong. Extract sounds nice, but does not pan out in reality. There are lots of active components which are filttered out in the extract.

I'll keep that in mind, and I'll probably try the powdered root too. How is the taste of the flavored powdered root? I'm also getting this for my wife, who has very little tolerance for bitter/earthy/chemical tastes. That's one reason I went with the extract - I was assuming the dosage would be much smaller, and that I may even be able to cap it for her.

italionstallion

Awards
  • Established
i havent tried the flavored kind, but the kind i have is like pure earth--dirt water

poison

poison

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
It tastes like ass, a nasty, somewhat spicy, gritty substance. It puts your tongue to sleep for around 5 minutes.

I've found that mixing it with a Jamba-like shake or smoothie makes it very tolerable, almost tasty, but that also diminishes the effects somewhat (but I like it to knock me on my ass, not just relax :lol: ).

Sir Foxx

Sir Foxx

Awards
  • Established
I just bought 5 grams. What is the dosage with the paste, and how do you measure it? Any hangover the next morning? I'm in need of something to relax me and help me sleep. Thanks.

Use a scale if you can. Otherwise just divide it up into 5 equal slices and consume 1 of them or maybe half of one. I found it works better if you mix it in some hot tea. The taste is bitter, with a numbing effect in your mouth. I always consumed a gram at a time and felt very sedated. There is a slight hangover the next day.

Also, just to warn you, this stuff will come in a zip lock baggie. It sticks and is almost wet. Scrape it all off and put in a bowl with a lid. Otherwise it becomes very hard to get it all off the baggie after some time has passed.

Sir Foxx

Sir Foxx

Awards
  • Established
This extract keeps everything else that is in Kava root, in their product.

" Kava Extract 84% Kavalactone Paste Super-Concentrate

This very special golden paste is simply the most powerfully concentrated and purest kava kava extract available anywhere. Standardized to nearly 85% kavalactone content, this product is well OVER 10 TIMES the concentration of plain kava root, while containing the same broad range of kavalactones as is found in the fresh, whole, unprocessed kava kava root itself"

poison

poison

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Hmm, I still don't buy it. There are probably active components to kava besides kavalactones.

also, if you clicked the links I provided above, you'll see that the problems people had in Europe with liver failure were due to kavalactone extract being taken from the stems and leaves, not the root. The stems and leaves are discarded by native kava drinkers in Polynesia/micronesia because they know they are harmful. The European kava dealers couldn't buy enough root to keep up with demand starting in 2000, the leaves and stems discarded by natives were cheaper, and the consumer paid the price....

So I would beware of kava extracts in general and be sure they are only from the roots.

intv

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Cool, thanks for the info. I'll report back after it gets here and we try it out.

Use a scale if you can. Otherwise just divide it up into 5 equal slices and consume 1 of them or maybe half of one. I found it works better if you mix it in some hot tea. The taste is bitter, with a numbing effect in your mouth. I always consumed a gram at a time and felt very sedated. There is a slight hangover the next day.

Also, just to warn you, this stuff will come in a zip lock baggie. It sticks and is almost wet. Scrape it all off and put in a bowl with a lid. Otherwise it becomes very hard to get it all off the baggie after some time has passed.

darius

Ok, so I got my Kanna, Kava, and Psychotropin in.

In the morning I was going to go out to the library and ended up stopping by the mall to pick up some stuff. I took a 350mg capsule of Kanna about 30 minutes or so before I left. Right before I got in my car, I seriously could not smiling. It was so strange, like it was a constant state of smiling and if I wanted to not smile, I had to try hard not to. Then it got even crazier, I started laughing. Nothing was funny at all but I started cracking up for no reason. It was really strange. When I got to the bookstore I was afraid to be there cause I was smiling so damn much lol and trying not to laugh. That was the only effect I got from it and it ended very soon, like 30 min max. I got home like a couple hours later and popped another 350mg. I don't remember it doing much like the first one.

Ok so a few hours passed and I'm thinking this Kanna stuff is done. I popped in 4 capsules of Psychotropin and then took a 2 hour nap. When I woke up, my brain felt funny, like kinda a different "state" over it. Like my mind felt a bit "thick". I seemed very relaxed. My parents were harassing me about stupid crap and I felt pretty calm and didn't really want to talk all that much. I could definitely feel something.

So now like at 9:15pm, I popped in 2 capsules of Kava (700mg, 30% Kavalactones). Its only 9:34 and I do not feel much of anything yet. I will post up later.

Yeah it was probably stupid to take them all in the same day and I'm sure I won't be able to fairly judge them all yet, but hey I was happy when my box came in and just had to try it all lol. I felt like a kid in a candy store. I'm sure I will feel some stuff tomorrow morning (from what I read on erowid). Can't decide yet which one I want to take tomorrow before class, but probably leaning on the Kanna at this point.

darius

Kanna is the ****. Totally kills anxiety at 700mg (2-350's). My head feels borderline on headache, but not in a bad way. Like a cool feeling, and when I relax my head (brain), it feels good. Only side effect I am noticing is dry mouth and I'm really thirsty too. Took this stuff at 4:00, felt effects 15-20min later, its 6pm now, still feeling the light but very noticible buzz.

poison

poison

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
:lol: Go Darius!

I stopped by the Fiji Market in my area yesterday. Hmm, I wonder why i would do that???

Lo and behold, guess what they had there: kavakava, of course! The lady asked me if I want the srong one or the mild one. I did the right thing. She said it was imported from Fiji, and gave me some tips on preparation.

She also invited me to go in the back 'where there were some people drinking kava'. I declined, thinking that maybe they were preparing it the traditional way, by having a bunch of old ladies sit around, chew it, and spit the juice into a bowl, then passing the bowl around. Hell, no.

But I took it home and had some. I'd say it was double the strength of the KavaKing stuff I usually buy, but at $20lb it was less than half price. :)

intv

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Do NOT order from ethnobotanicals.com

I placed my order with Pure Land Ethnobotanicals on April 19th. I have yet to receive my order or delivery confirmation from them. My CC was charged on April 21st. I sent them a polite email April 28th inquiring about the status of my order and have not heard back. I sent them another email yesterday, still no reply. Their toll free order line is no longer in service.

13 complaints with the WI BBB online in the past 36 months: http://www.wisconsin.bbb.org/commonreport.html?bid=25000920

I know Sir Foxx isn't affiliated, I just quoted him so that people would know not to use that link.

Elizzard

Elizzard

Awards
HAHA, I had the same experiance with it!

btw, my friends and i tried phenibut for the first time 2 nights ago, then we had about 12 beers. i recommend not using 4 g for your first ever dose. we started with 2.5, but didnt feel anything, so we did another 3/4 tsp, that stuff knocks you on the ground. i really felt it the next day, i could barely walk like 15 hours after i took it

Elizzard

Elizzard

Awards
Interesting...I took 350 mg and didn't feel a thing..maybe i should try doubling it. I was about to throw it out, lol.

Kanna is the ****. Totally kills anxiety at 700mg (2-350's). My head feels borderline on headache, but not in a bad way. Like a cool feeling, and when I relax my head (brain), it feels good. Only side effect I am noticing is dry mouth and I'm really thirsty too. Took this stuff at 4:00, felt effects 15-20min later, its 6pm now, still feeling the light but very noticible buzz.

darius

I have noticed something strange with Kava. For me to get any effect, I have to chew the pills or open them up in my mouth. I don't feel anything when I swallow them.. but when I chew them, holy crap, makes me feel so good. I feel like meditating (I never meditate) or just relaxing. Can definitely feel them working. Plus when you chew them it makes your tongue numb :D.

Sir Foxx

Sir Foxx

Awards
  • Established
I placed my order with Pure Land Ethnobotanicals on April 19th. I have yet to receive my order or delivery confirmation from them. My CC was charged on April 21st. I sent them a polite email April 28th inquiring about the status of my order and have not heard back. I sent them another email yesterday, still no reply. Their toll free order line is no longer in service.

13 complaints with the WI BBB online in the past 36 months: http://www.wisconsin.bbb.org/commonreport.html?bid=25000920

I know Sir Foxx isn't affiliated, I just quoted him so that people would know not to use that link.
Thanks for the heads up. The only problem I had with them was that they were out of stock for good amount of time after I placed my order. They always answered my emails and offered my money back, but I just waited until they got some new stuff in. Sorry about your situation. I guess this company gets scratched off my list.

intv

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the heads up. The only problem I had with them was that they were out of stock for good amount of time after I placed my order. They always answered my emails and offered my money back, but I just waited until they got some new stuff in. Sorry about your situation. I guess this company gets scratched off my list.
FWIW I called and left a message on the phone number listed on my CC bill, and about 30 minutes later had an email in my inbox stating only, "it's in the mail, thanks." I waited for a few days before worrying, since I know I've been spoiled by the board sponsors and 1fast, and I know everyone operates on their on time frame. I really wouldn't have minded if he would have just replied to my email sooner. Hopefully I'll still get it in this week and it'll be good stuff. :cheers:

darius

No dude, the absolute best place to buy Kava is www.iamshaman.com. That place amazing customer service, and ships very very fast. I have ordered twice from them very recently, and will keep continuing to do so. My last order was over $30, so I chose the extra free Kava out of a few options.

On a side note. Just mixed my free sample baggie up with a small cup of orange juice like 2 min ago and downed it. Already feel something starting to happen up in my brain. It tasted like how fresh mud smells after a rain shower. Not bad or gagging, but too earthy.

poison

poison

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Maybe, if you can get it. Plus, Ethnobotanicals is extract, right?

Fact: whole root > extract

I've never tried THEIR extract, but I've had high quality extracts before, and they don't compare to the whole root.

Sorry, I luvs me the kava! :lol: Anyway, I hope someone here tries it and gives some feedback besides mine...

darius

Yeah the extract is crappy. I got the iamshaman.com's 84% extract gel caps and swallowed 4 and it did nothing (directions are to take 2), so I put 4 in my mouth and started to chew.. they tasted horrible.. alot worse than just kava root, which isn't too bad, just bitter.

I shouldn't have taken Kava today because I had a cold coming on. I think the cold and Kava jacked me up.. I got a nasty headache at work, but 2 extra strength tylennol's fixed it pretty fast. I drank the sample size which is probably like a teaspoon or something with OJ and it made me feel funny.

So far my best experience with Kava has been opening up the 30% capsules in my mouth, letting it sit under my tongue for about 60 sec, while swallowing the saliva, then downing it all. I feel super relaxed and every part of my body is relaxed. Almost to the point of a mild tingle here and there. Like you can just "rest" your brain and it feels damn good.

intv

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Until you've tried it, your opinion is worthless on this. Not defending Ethnobotanticals customer service, but their product is topnotch. I'm sure your Kava is good, but so is this stuff.

I Got the kava in this afternoon. Tonight, on an empty stomach, I took roughly .5gm of the paste stuffed inside a gelcap (filled 1/2 of gelcap). I remembered reading that people had taken lecithin with kava, so I took 2 gms of lecithin and 2 gms of fish oil with the kava.
I started feeling the effects in about 30 minutes, with full effects kicking in around an hour. Very relaxing and euphoric. I'm also feeling more social. It's exactly what I was looking for - a good substitute for 3 or 4 drinks. It actually surpassed my expectations some; the relaxation/anti-anxiety doesn't surprise me, but the pleasant euphoric feelings took me off guard. I'm very happy with the kava, now I just need to find a better supplier than ethnobotanicals. ;)

Elizzard

Elizzard

Awards
Intv - did you chew the cap of Kava? Someone previously said helped...I've taken 350 mg and haven't felt a thing.

I started feeling the effects in about 30 minutes, with full effects kicking in around an hour. Very relaxing and euphoric. I'm also feeling more social. It's exactly what I was looking for - a good substitute for 3 or 4 drinks.

intv

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
dude!!!!!!! >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> IAMSHAMAN.com
Yeah, I checked them out, great prices, and you said they had great CS, so I'll probably try them next time.

Intv - did you chew the cap of Kava? Someone previously said helped...I've taken 350 mg and haven't felt a thing.
Well, the extract is a sticky, pungent paste in a baggy. I capped it so that I could just swallow it. I did taste it though, earthy, but not bad. The numbness is pretty powerful. This was about 500mg, and if extract in general isn't supposed to be good, this stuff is an exception. Where did you get your kava, Elizzard?

bige211

Awards
has anyone tried the powdered root from iamshaman.com, it seems so cheap , what is the dosage on it