Curcumin - Longvida vs Meriva

Touey

Touey

Awards

Both of those brands use some form of phospholipid, but the two formulas do not have identical absorption.
Meriva (sold by Thorne) has a small human study showing benefit using two capsules twice a day for osteoarthritis, but that is only based on subjective data (pain and functionality scales rather than serum inflammatory markers).
Usana (a large supplement company) analyzed Meriva bioavailability and here is what they said:
Free curcumin could not be detected in any plasma samples, in accordance with previous studies that have mostly failed to detect unconjugated curcumin in human plasma even after the administration of megadoses of curcumin.
However, Usana did find some metabolites of curcumin (referred to as ‘curcuminoids’):
The peak plasma total curcuminoid concentration (Cmax) reached with the high dosage of Meriva was 206.9 ng/mL…. [However] Within the context of curcumin human absorption, the >200 ng/mL concentration of conjugated curcuminoids is still lower than the low micromolar concentration of free curcumin required for direct activity against its various targets. 6
In addition, some studies suggest that although some of the curcuminoid metabolites have anti-inflammatory effects (and thus may be helpful against arthritis, which is what Meriva is marketed for), only curcumin, not its metabolites, will work against Alzheimer’s:
Despite dramatically higher drug plasma levels after administering [the curcuminoid metabolite] tetrahydro-curcumin… only curcumin was effective in reducing amyloid plaque burden. Tetrahydro-curcumin had no impact on [Alzheimer’s] plaques or insoluble Amyloid-β… Curcumin, but not tetrahydro-curcumin, prevented Amyloid β aggregation. 7
Therefore, for prevention of Alzheimer’s, Longvida is the better choice.
Curcumin: Not all brands are created equal!

kissdadookie

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I've recently used a product called Curamin, the Extra Strength version. Very effective anti-inflammatory. It uses BCM-95 which is some sort of patented curcumin extract. It also contains a patented form of Boswellia extract.

Stuff worked pretty darn well on relieving my shoulder issue when I had the issue. I stopped using it after the issue went away though since supposedly the stuff is a strong COX-2 inhibitor and also inhibits ArA formation.

So, yeah, I think the type of curcumin most certainly can play a part on how effective the stuff is. I think in general, curcumin is said to have pathetically bad bioavailibility?

Touey

Touey

Awards
here's a great breakdown to make it simple for anyone with questions or confused about curcumin - Supplement Truths: Caught between Offit and Oz

Go down to Part 3: The lowdown on Curcumin

Furthermore

It looks like Theracurmin seriously misleads with the way they present their data. The short version is, they give you the impression that their awesome absorption is of free curcumin, when actually it is of curcumin metabolites– which are much easier to measure from any brand. Furthermore I have now seen a Theracurmin trial in pancreatic cancer which shows no activity despite the tremendous “absorption”– and in the (very) fine print it turns out that it’s not free curcumin at all… which is probably why there is no effect. So I’m now back to recommending Longvida instead… certainly for Alzheimer’s and probably for cancer prevention too. - See more at: Curcumin update: What about Theracurmin?

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
I've recently used a product called Curamin, the Extra Strength version. Very effective anti-inflammatory. It uses BCM-95 which is some sort of patented curcumin extract. It also contains a patented form of Boswellia extract.

Stuff worked pretty darn well on relieving my shoulder issue when I had the issue. I stopped using it after the issue went away though since supposedly the stuff is a strong COX-2 inhibitor and also inhibits ArA formation.

So, yeah, I think the type of curcumin most certainly can play a part on how effective the stuff is. I think in general, curcumin is said to have pathetically bad bioavailibility?
This post is way off. Curcumin is a TNF-alpha inhibitor, and furthermore, ArA formation is never inhibited by ANY anti-inflammatory.

aaronuconn

aaronuconn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
There was a pretty a good thread in the advance discussion section on Curcumin. I thought BCM-95 was the most popular?Seems like regardless of the "delivery system", it will be good for GI health.

Touey

Touey

Awards

kissdadookie

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
This post is way off. Curcumin is a TNF-alpha inhibitor, and furthermore, ArA formation is never inhibited by ANY anti-inflammatory.
Was just going by the product description for the Curamin product. Nothing more nothing less. If it's safe to continue taking it and not have it inhibit adaptation, let me know, I wouldn't mind continuing to use it as it's pretty effective.

EDIT: Looked at the product description more carefully, so it looks like they are saying that the product blocks the inflammation response of the ArA cascade rather than blocking ArA formation.

So, big question, is it ok to continue to take this stuff if it's blocking the inflammation response from the ArA cascade or better to use it as I was using it before, when I have some more serious joint pain?

Touey

Touey

Awards
Touey

Touey

Awards
I meant for times when I'm not using ArA. Wondering if it's ok to still use the product if I dosed it away from a workout (like in the evening, I workout in the morning).
you have to weigh the pros and cons for yourself kd, I take it this way like I do cissus and don't notice ill effects on workouts

kissdadookie

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
you have to weigh the pros and cons for yourself kd, I take it this way like I do cissus and don't notice ill effects on workouts
Yeah, I just didn't want to risk interfering with adaptation.

Ape McGrapes

Ape McGrapes

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Theracumin might be the strongest on the market right now, but I don't really know.

"Theracurmin produces blood levels of curcumin metabolites in human and animal studies that are up to 300 times greater than regular curcumin and significantly greater than any other commercial form."

aaronuconn

aaronuconn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Theracumin might be the strongest on the market right now, but I don't really know.

"Theracurmin produces blood levels of curcumin metabolites in human and animal studies that are up to 300 times greater than regular curcumin and significantly greater than any other commercial form."
Are the blood levels what we're after here, though?

Ape McGrapes

Ape McGrapes

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I have no clue. None at all.

I use 300mg theracumin and 875mg of BCM-95 with bioperine.

Doubt full I need to do anymore. That would seem obsessive.

Touey

Touey

Awards

that's the problem it's curcumin metabolites not free curcumin.. I'd choose longvida, Now Foods will be coming out with it in a product soon

Ape McGrapes

Ape McGrapes

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
that's the problem it's curcumin metabolites not free curcumin.. I'd choose longvida, Now Foods will be coming out with it in a product soon
I'll keep an eye out for it.

Like I said though, I use the two different products to try and get a better blend persay.

jfoles

jfoles

Awards
I have no clue. None at all.

I use 300mg theracumin and 875mg of BCM-95 with bioperine.

Doubt full I need to do anymore. That would seem obsessive.
I ran into your thread because i use curcumin and glutathione... I was using a bcm-95 curcumin from LE but have changed a few of my supps to this company called maxhealthlabs. the curcumin and glutathione are a liposomal gel that comes in a packet. they deliver 100x better than all other supps.. my recovery time i feel, has gotten better since using the two products.... i do use their resveratrol also...

Hope this helps out.

FireRescue

Awards
  • Established
Good topic.

What about a liposomal? I have seen a couple brands of liposomal curcumin?

jfoles

jfoles

Awards
Good topic.

What about a liposomal? I have seen a couple brands of liposomal curcumin?
Look at MaxHealthLabs Liposomal Curcumin..

I use their Curcumin and the Glutathione..

Also, i was reading in another article, about fish oils. look for Cardia7 Oil its a purified Omega7 that kills inflammation. Works for me...
It is not a replacement for Omega 3 fish oils but is an inflammatory.

boatnerj

Awards
Reviving an old thread. If my main goal was for anti inflammatory effects in the GI tract, and not as much systemically, would some of the less absorbable forms like BCM 95 be better options?

JVee63

Awards
Reviving an old thread. If my main goal was for anti inflammatory effects in the GI tract, and not as much systemically, would some of the less absorbable forms like BCM 95 be better options?
If you are wanting to use it for that application, you could get away with just using a non enhanced curcumin. It would be much cheaper as well.

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
I have had EXCELLENT luck with bulk 95% Curcumin and Bioperine - Anti-Inflamatory as heck for me (Achilles Tendon pain is GAWN bro's!) I "2 Heaping Red Micro-Scoop" the Bioperine - so it's a lot more than the typical 5mg used in stuff - but it's cheap in bulk and still way cheaper than pre-made Curcumin caps. I also add a good bit of bulk Ground Black Pepper (from Sam's Club) for good measure.

Max32

Max32

Awards
  • Established
bumping this thread back up...

Trying to find a winner between the following types, or at least a ranking:

1. Longvida
2. Meriva
3. theracumin
4. BCM 95
5. Curcuwin

jarrellt67

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
bumping this thread back up...

Trying to find a winner between the following types, or at least a ranking:

1. Longvida
2. Meriva
3. theracumin
4. BCM 95
5. Curcuwin
I've never used theracumin or curcuwin. However, for the other 3 my rankings are as follows:

Anti-Inflammatory Effects (for me, lower back pain) - from best to worst
1. BCM-95
2. Meriva
3. Longvida

Mental/Nootropic Effects (for me, antidepressant/mood benefits) - from best to worst
1. Longvida
2. BCM-95
3. Meriva

JWCo

Awards
I've never used theracumin or curcuwin. However, for the other 3 my rankings are as follows:

Anti-Inflammatory Effects (for me, lower back pain) - from best to worst
1. BCM-95
2. Meriva
3. Longvida

Mental/Nootropic Effects (for me, antidepressant/mood benefits) - from best to worst
1. Longvida
2. BCM-95
3. Meriva

I realize this post is old but l’m conflicted while doing my research to determine the best supplement for me. I have a variety of inflammatory issues: GI, depression, lower back, arthritis and most recently inflamed cartilage in my ribs. My family has a history of Parkinson’s and Alzheimer’s. I’m hoping to effect both brain and general inflammation. Is it ok to take two types of Curcumin? Thinking both Longvida and BCM-95?

rtmilburn

rtmilburn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I realize this post is old but l’m conflicted while doing my research to determine the best supplement for me. I have a variety of inflammatory issues: GI, depression, lower back, arthritis and most recently inflamed cartilage in my ribs. My family has a history of Parkinson’s and Alzheimer’s. I’m hoping to effect both brain and general inflammation. Is it ok to take two types of Curcumin? Thinking both Longvida and BCM-95?
I know I'm not the person you were quoting; however, if I were you, I would use longvida along with whole plant turmeric and piperine

JWCo

Awards
Appreciate your insights and makes sense. I haven’t heard anything very positive about supplementing with Piperine though?

EricMM

Awards
  • Established
I just ordered a wide spectrum of curcumin. BCM-95, CurcuWin, Curcumin Phytozome and Longvida. Going to see if it really does what is claimed...

jarrellt67

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I don’t know why there would be any issues with taking both but maybe others could chime in if they do. If using two types, then I'd use the two you mentioned. However, that's just personal preference based on my experience. As an alternative you could combine longvida curcumin with another anti-inflammatory substance like boswellia.

rtmilburn

rtmilburn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Appreciate your insights and makes sense. I haven’t heard anything very positive about supplementing with Piperine though?
Piperine is to increase absorption. Nothing else really.

rtmilburn

rtmilburn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I don’t know why there would be any issues with taking both but maybe others could chime in if they do. If using two types, then I'd use the two you mentioned. However, that's just personal preference based on my experience. As an alternative you could combine longvida curcumin with another anti-inflammatory substance like boswellia.
Boswellia could make his GI issues worse.

JWCo

Awards
Thanks for the info. I’m going to start with Longvida and give it a month to see how I feel. I think by starting with just one I can better judge how to attribute the results.