Any info on this one?: Himalaya Heart Care (protect cholesterol)

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
With all the talk about Cholesterol levels (protecting HDL/LDL) on M1t and superdrol, I wondered if anyone had info on this product.
From the makers of Liv52 (Liver Care)

http://www.iherb.com/heartcare.html

Heart Care is a unique complex herbal formula that helps maintain healthy heart, promote normal cholesterol levels and reduce the effects of stress and nervousness.

Directions: Take 1 tablet twice per day with meals.

Supplement Facts
Serving Size: One 840 mg tablet
Servings Per Container 120
Amount Per Serving % Daily Value
Proprietary herbal blend 840 mg

Arjuna (Terminalia arjuna W. & A.) (bark), Billiotan (Nepeta hindostana (Roth.) Haines) (whole), Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera Dunal)(root), Asparagus (Asparagus racemosus Wild.)(root), Spreading Hogweed (Boerhaavia diffusa Linn.)(root), Bishop's Weed/Lovage (Carum Copticum Benth.)(mericarp), Gotu Kola (Centella asiatica Urban.)
(leaves), Bindweed (Convolvulus pluricaulis Choisy.)(whole), Thistles (Eclipta alba Hassk.) (whole), Amalaki (Emblica officinalis Gaertn.)(fruit), Licorice (Glycrrhiza glabra Linn.)
(root), Guggul (Commiphora mukul Hooker),(gum resin), Musk Root (Nardostachys jatamansi DC.)(root), Holy Basil (Ocimum sanctum Linn.)(whole), Indian Long Pepper (Piper longum Linn.)(fruit), Haritaki (Terminalia chebula Retz.)(fruit), Guduchi
(Tinospora cordifolia Miers.)(stem), Ginger (Zingiber officinale Rosc.)(rhizome), Sweet Flag (Acorus calamus Lin.)(rhizome), Staff Tree (Celastrus paniculatus Wild.)(seed), Cinnamon (Cinnamomum cassia Blume.)(bark), Nut Grass (Cyperus rotundus Linn.)(tuber), Cardamom (Elettaria cardamomum Maton.)(fruit), False Black Pepper (Embellia ribes Burm.)
(fruit), Fennel (Foeniculum vulgare Mill.)(mericarp), Persian Rose (Rosa centifolia Mill.) (Flower), White Sandalwood Tree (Santalum album Linn.)(wood), Clove (Syzgium aromaticum Merrill & Perry)(flower), Saffron (Crocus sativus Linn.)(flower),
Dashamoola, Mineral Pitch.
-------------------------------------------------------
* Daily Value not established.

Other ingredients: Purified Conch Shell Ash, Purified Pearl Powder, Purified Agate Powder, Purified Jade Powder, Purified Ruby Powder, Purified Coral Powder, Biotite Ash, Magnesium Stearate, Sodium Carboxymethylcellulose, Microcrystalline Cellulose, Crospovidone, Aerosil. "

ersatz

Awards
  • Established
It would be nice if they would specify amounts for each ingredient. I haven't used this product so I can't state it's efficacy. Red Yeast Rice has been proven to have good effects on cholesterol. Now foods has one with the following Servings per container 60
Red Yeast Rice (Monascus purpureus) (Concentrated (10:1) Powder) 1.2 g (1,200 mg) *
Milk Thistle (Silybum marianum) Standardized Extract (min. 80% Silym 210 mg *
Alpha Lipoic Acid 100 mg *
CoQ10 60 mg *

Granted that the last three aren't enough for liver protection but every little bit helps.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Some of the herbs listed are good for heart health but right off the bat I'd have to guess that not a single one of them is dosed high enough to be effective. There's simply too many to allow for a sizeable dose. Unless they can prove some sort of synergy I'd say stick to a handful of known herbs like hawethorne, arjuna, red rice yeast and maybe some niacin, buy them in bulk and dose them properly.

size

Awards
  • Established
Use Policosanol, CoQ10, and allicin/raw garlic.

Some info on Policosanol:
Policosanol appears to slow down cholesterol synthesis in the liver and also to increase liver reabsorption of LDL ("bad") cholesterol.27,28

At least 16 double-blind, placebo-controlled studies, involving a total of more than 1,500 people and ranging in length from 6 weeks to 12 months, have found policosanol manufactured from sugarcane effective for improving cholesterol levels.29–42,71,74 All but one of these trials was conducted in Cuba by a single research group.71 The cumulative results suggest that policosanol treatment can reduce LDL ("bad") cholesterol by 21 to 29% and total cholesterol by a slightly lower amount; in addition policosanol appears to raise HDL ("good") cholesterol by 8 to 15%.73 Triglyceride levels do not appear to be affected. Interestingly, these trials enrolled only people whose cholesterol levels had not previously improved with diet alone.

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
eggcellent
thanks guys for the insight, Himalaya is good company but they overpacked this one it seems.

special thanks to size who always knows the answers to my sometimes obsecure questions

ryansm

ryansm

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I have had recent blood drawn after using Policosanol for 3 months now at 10mgs a day. Before, LDL was 146 HDL was 40. Now it is LDL 130, and HDL 46. So LDL is down 16 points, HDL is up 6 points, and overall chol. levels are down 10 points. I'm not sure about Triglyceride levels, although I have not had a problem in this area. I used this product for the sole purpose of creating a better ratio between my LDL/HDL levels. I will take it indefinite, and post more blood work in another month or so to see if there is more improvement.

rrgg

rrgg

Awards
  • Established
Himalaya is using the kitchen sink approach-- let's throw everything in and hope something works. The problem is you're surely paying for some ingredients that aren't helping.

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
Their Liv52 / Liver Care product is legit though right?