Whey and Casein combo: the way to go. Drop the Leucine?

Diesel656

Diesel656

Awards
I wasn't sure where to post this, after putting it in Nutrition I thought it might be better placed here.

First of all as you can see this is my first post. I have lurked these forums for some time soaking up quite a bit of knowledge and thought this may be my time to contribute for once!

I just stumbled upon an interesting article that discussed a study analyzing the effects of Whey vs. Casein protein and their effects on whole body protein synthesis vs. muscle protein synthesis - conclusion being a mix of the two was ideal. Also of interest was according to the second study cited study additional Leucine supplementation was of no real value.

I can't add links until I post more, so... Google 'casein vs whey' and it's the result from ironmanmagazine.

criticalbench

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thats why protein blends are so popular.

fadi

fadi

Awards
  • Established
Agreed. blends are perfect. I take mine with milk.

Diesel656

Diesel656

Awards
Is there any way to determine the amount of each protein in a blend aside from the relative values via ingredients label? Seems like a company could give you 99% of the cheaper whey and just a touch of casein. Also, what do you guys think about the Leucine aspect? Do you guys supplement this or are you of the opinion the blends and a good diet supply enough Aminos as is?

fadi

fadi

Awards
  • Established
There is no real way unless the company states the ratio. I assume by cheaper whey you mean concentrate? if so, there is really not much difference so it doesn't matter. Isolate has few grams more of protein and lactose free. if you are taking 25g whey protein, concentrate vs isolate won't make a difference.

leucine and bcaa supplements is a toss up. Some strongly believe in them, others say you do not need them. I see both arguments having valid points.

For those interested, there is a very good book called "The Protein Book" that covers every aspect of protein for BBing based on research but it is pricy. I have a copy of it, I need to reread it it.

Diesel656

Diesel656

Awards
Blends are super expensive. Have some whey and mix it with cottage cheese, later have some eggs.
They don't seem too bad. I got a couple 5lb tubs of Syntha 6 for 38 each during that sale Nutra Planet had.

Diesel656

Diesel656

Awards
There is no real way unless the company states the ratio. I assume by cheaper whey you mean concentrate? if so, there is really not much difference so it doesn't matter. Isolate has few grams more of protein and lactose free. if you are taking 25g whey protein, concentrate vs isolate won't make a difference.
Nah I ment to say more of the whey which is cheaper than the casein. Sorry I was unclear. I will definitely pick up that book.

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I meant whey is cheaper as in price wise. Syntha-6 is tasty but too many carbs. I do like blends because they mix up thick, and I like a thick shake. More satisfying and can be a treat while dieting and on low carbs. I just get sick of the taste of chicken and meat after a while and need a break. That is about the only reason I even drink protein drinks. Plus it helps get your protein up with less calories than some meats...Most of the time I just get whey or whatever is on sale.

StackedCop

StackedCop

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Blends are super expensive. Have some whey and mix it with cottage cheese, later have some eggs.
X2

I also mix my whey with Greek yogurt and egg whites.

fadi

fadi

Awards
  • Established
I use milk from small supermarket chain here called HEB. their milk has double the protein with half the carbs and lactose free. 16once yields 24g protein. I mix 1-2scoops protein with it.

I have not been able to stand the taste of whey with greek yogurt or cottage cheese. What protein flavor do you guys use?

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
lol.. Again it is YOUR perception of cost. It is because we buy so much $ worth of protein upfront, and not $4 here, $3 there. It seems more expensive, but it ISN'T.

How much are eggs, and cottage cheese?

Trutein is like $3.00 for 100g protein.

I pay like $5 for liquid egg whites which are 100g protein per carton.

A carton of eggs is what $2.50-$3? for 72g protein(if eaten as whole eggs, not disposing of any yolks)

FF Greek yogurt is like 50g pro per 8oz container which are easily IIRC like 2.50-$3 maybe even more.

I use all of the above as well, but it isn't a price thing.

I have not been able to stand the taste of whey with greek yogurt or cottage cheese. What protein flavor do you guys use?
Vanilla Trutein, Cinn trutein, Choc PB trutein, Banana Trutein, any of the Myofusion flavors work well with greek yogurt. Tastes amazing, if you get the right ratios.

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Frank, I just bit the bullet a got 10 pounds of TeamSkip from True Protein(true nutrition). It cost me $143.49. Five pounds of creamy peanut butter premium flavor with a jug and free scoop. Five pounds of Natural Orange cream with a free food grade bag. Also I used a 5 percent off discount code. Hope it is worth the cost!.

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Frank, I just bit the bullet a got 10 pounds of TeamSkip from True Protein(true nutrition). It cost me $143.49. Five pounds of creamy peanut butter premium flavor with a jug and free scoop. Five pounds of Natural Orange cream with a free food grade bag. Also I used a 5 percent off discount code. Hope it is worth the cost!.
I have never tried those flavors so let us know how they are. I typically always went with vanilla, choc, etc I trued Chocolate Coconut at a friends and it was good.

IMO that is the one area they lack, is flavor system. I hope they can improve on that with these new changes.

So figure that comes out to 143.49(shipped?)
26g pro per serving x 15 servings per lb = 1950g per 5lb jug. 3900/100 = 39 100g protein servings in 10lb. 143.5/39= $3.68 cents per 100g of protein. That is cheaper then eggs, egg whites, greek yogurt, etc(atleast around here). Obviously it is still more expensive then whey concentrate though..haha

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yeah Frank it was $143.49 shipped. Hope the peanut butter flavor is good. I have tried other orange creme proteins and liked them so I know I'm safe with that. The flavors don't add any calories or carbs do they?

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Yeah Frank it was $143.49 shipped. Hope the peanut butter flavor is good. I have tried other orange creme proteins and liked them so I know I'm safe with that. The flavors don't add any calories or carbs do they?
No, I don't believe they do.

I am curious on the PB.. I have never had a straight PB flavored protein.

I always liked the texture of the team skip blend. The vanilla, as the milk in my fruity pebbles..mmmmm haha

fadi

fadi

Awards
  • Established
both of flavors are so so. They would not be something I would get. Strawberry Kiwi is really good.