best supplements for anxiety?

bill86

bill86

Awards
  • Established
so for years and years ive been on prescription medication for anxiety and im ready to get off. ive gradually lowered my dose to the point where im taking so little that i doubt its actually doing anything (probably just a placebo effect that im 'on medication'), but i think the hardest part is going to be getting completely off. i know exercise, breathing techniques, etc help a lot, but im looking for something to take off that extra little edge as i come off completely and in particularly stressful/anxious times.

the research ive done has listed A LOT of different herbs that help (there are about 5-10 specific ones that show up on every list ive found), but im having a hard time finding which ones, exactly, work best. im not in a position where i can buy 5+ more supplements every month or so, and im trying to figure out which one (or two) would be best, which i havent found, leading me here.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

bill86

bill86

Awards
  • Established
not to mention, many of the search results ive found are promoting a specific product that contains x,y and z

Flaw

Flaw

Awards
  • Established
Herbs- Valerian root is the only one I would use. The others have too many properties.

Vitamins- A good multi-vitamin will help, and some extra vitamin C

Minerals- magnesium is a must.

Amino acids- L-theanine 100-200mg and taurine 1,000mg

Some magnesium citrate powder in a hot cup of valerian tea does wonders.

ambulldog

ambulldog

Awards
  • Established
look into picamilon

bill86

bill86

Awards
  • Established
thanks for all the input... picamilon seems to work wonders for some people (especially in short-term, which would be good for especially stressful times like final exams, etc).

also, l-theanine is something that ive seen come up several times in my searches. might have to give that a try.

thanks again for your help. magnesium is cheap enough, so ill include that. i was leaning towards l-theanine before i posted, so i might have to pick some up as well... im going to look into the other stuff, as i dont know too much about rhodiola rosea, valerian root, etc.

Cordeen

Awards
  • Established
Rhodiola Rosea
Relora

Plus avoid any thing that increase LH a lot, in my experience anyhow, they seem to amplify my anxiety big time. Especially DAA.

flightposite

flightposite

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
short list
5-htp
valerian root
l-theanine
magnesium
rhodiola
bacopa monnieri

bill86

bill86

Awards
  • Established
thanks guy

cordeen - i have daa sitting on my counter right now. its been there unopened for 6 months because of that very reason. ive heard of it causing anxiety in people otherwise not prone to such, so im kind of worried what it would do to me haha. (also, ive heard a little about its neurotoxicity, but havent really done enough research. the 'research' i have done seems to be a little insufficient on both sides, and forums are usually just people arguing back and forth about it, haha)

flightposite

flightposite

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Speaking of daa. It reminded me that agmatine has some anti anxiety properties. So there is another good one to add to your list. By the way I have suffered from anxiety attacks in the past and I have used all of these at one point or another and they definitely help. Also stay away from freaking yohimbe that sh$t puts my right into an anxiety attack. However I have used daa and felt fine no issues of anxiety. But everyone is different so just because it didn't trigger anxiety in me doesn't mean it won't in you. Good luck and God bless.

Clickster

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Phenibut XT works well for me. Believe it or not, Agmatine helps me in this area also.

Cordeen

Awards
  • Established
First off, I agree with the above post that Yohimbe is a culprit too. Anyhow, this is simply my own theory regarding higher than normal Luetinizing Hormone increasing anxiety. Even higher dosed Dopa Mucuna results in increased anxiety, so I keep the dose lower and I am fine. But DAA takes the cake (for me anyhow) and it may affect anxiety via other avenues but I too had to put my container away.

There are other legal recreational herbs such as Kanna, Kratom, and Blue Lotus that may work as a short time fix.

Another point is that when I take products that increase DHT (natural or hormonal PHs) the alpha mentality and male confidence brought on by the increased DHT seems to really bury a lot of anxiety.

Just my own experiences.

thanks guy

cordeen - i have daa sitting on my counter right now. its been there unopened for 6 months because of that very reason. ive heard of it causing anxiety in people otherwise not prone to such, so im kind of worried what it would do to me haha. (also, ive heard a little about its neurotoxicity, but havent really done enough research. the 'research' i have done seems to be a little insufficient on both sides, and forums are usually just people arguing back and forth about it, haha)

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
Piracetam + Choline

I know it's more for concentration, but I've found it helps enormously with anxiety. And since I was diagnosed with PTSD, I've also tried alot of different things.

A boost in confidence, alot of times, relieves anxiety. I find I get that with Piracetam.

Flaw

Flaw

Awards
  • Established
Rhodiola Rosea
Rhodiola Rosea acts similiar to a prescription drug. It's a MAO-B and MAO-A inhibitor. You can categorize it as a drug similiar to a prescription medication. Just like another herb St. John's wort. It's mechanism's of actions aren't simple. Keep that in mind Bill.

fightbackhxc

fightbackhxc

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Piracetam + Choline

I know it's more for concentration, but I've found it helps enormously with anxiety. And since I was diagnosed with PTSD, I've also tried alot of different things.

A boost in confidence, alot of times, relieves anxiety. I find I get that with Piracetam.
I like this combo.

rms80

rms80

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
short list
5-htp
valerian root
l-theanine
magnesium
rhodiola
bacopa monnieri
good choices- I love 5-HTP at 100 mg eod- does the trick for depression and anxiety, even during the winter

rms80

rms80

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I like this combo.
I like piracetam as well- but it is the most horrible tasting chemical I have ever come across- makes me nauseous even thinking about it......

fightbackhxc

fightbackhxc

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Shouldn't also be noted to have a good level of Vitamin D? Omega 3's as well.

....if we are talking about depression.

Skigazzi

Skigazzi

Awards
  • Established
5 HTP saved my sanity over a particularly rough 2 month period, dosing is as high as 50-100mg 2-4 times a day at times. I was probably getting hit by anxiety that warranted meds and a psych, but I didn't go that route. 5-HTP with STRONG chamomile tea as needed did just enough to calm me that I was able to figure out what was causing my stress, and how I was going to fix it...luckily, fate removed the 'issue' from my life without me needing to do a thing.

Magnesiun also helped some.

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
I like piracetam as well- but it is the most horrible tasting chemical I have ever come across- makes me nauseous even thinking about it......
I agree here. Only way I can take it is capped, or in a shot. yuck...

Flaw

Flaw

Awards
  • Established
Rescue Remedy work well.
I used to use that years ago, I think I came to the conclusion that I was getting some mild anxiety relief from the high alcohol content it contained and nothing else. lol. It hasn't done well for anxiety in studies either. I think it's definetely a placebo effect.

criticalbench

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
500mg L-Theanine during day, 1200mg of valarian root at night.

Mike

kingjameskjf

kingjameskjf

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I agree completely. After about a week I gave up on the tub and gave it away, just didn't want to do it anymore.

I like:
-Picamilon
-Phenibut
-5-HTP
-PEA
-GABA

Not all at the same time, but some options.

The Cold

Awards
I've been battling anxiety for many years now , and ive tried everything. I have been through benzo withdrawal, and no longer use pharmaceuticals. I have found that natural remedies work better in the long run . I like ashwaganda in the daytime, it does not make me tired like other anxiolytics. I use magnesium oil morning noon and night, it has probably made the biggest difference overall. I just upped my dose of vitamin a and for some reason feel even less anxiety. At night I prefer holy basil extract 2%, immediate effect, sleep well, and no rebound anxiety. Valerian gives me terrible anxiety the next day, won't touch it. I really recommend avoiding any gaba derivative, as the rebound anxiety can be tremendous. Lastly, avoid stims at all cost, learn to meditate, and know that life is exactly how it should be.

Reactions: oli
Cooky32

Cooky32

Awards
  • Established
Now foods has a good one with most of that stuff in it already. Try it. I am going to.

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
You should steer clear of any supplements like these until you are off your anti depressants for at least a month. They can stay in your system for a month or more and interact with these types of supplements mentioned, especially 5Htp and St.Johns Wort. You don't want Serotonin Syndrome....

compudog

compudog

Awards
First off, I agree with the above post that Yohimbe is a culprit too. Anyhow, this is simply my own theory regarding higher than normal Luetinizing Hormone increasing anxiety. Even higher dosed Dopa Mucuna results in increased anxiety, so I keep the dose lower and I am fine. But DAA takes the cake (for me anyhow) and it may affect anxiety via other avenues but I too had to put my container away.

There are other legal recreational herbs such as Kanna, Kratom, and Blue Lotus that may work as a short time fix.

Another point is that when I take products that increase DHT (natural or hormonal PHs) the alpha mentality and male confidence brought on by the increased DHT seems to really bury a lot of anxiety.

Just my own experiences.
That's my experience as well.

Flaw

Flaw

Awards
  • Established
I really recommend avoiding any gaba derivative, as the rebound anxiety can be tremendous. Lastly, avoid stims at all cost, learn to meditate, and know that life is exactly how it should be.
You do have to be careful with the GABA supplements. I spent many years using all the GABA supplements and I think it led to more anxiety in the long-run. Phenibut by far had the worst long-term effects. Stimulants also inhibit or lower GABA levels.

bill86

bill86

Awards
  • Established
yeah, it seems like everything is reported to have some pretty serious sides in at least some people ranging from liver issues with bark that was in the root to long term effects like you mention. ive got l-theanine and ashwaganda on my short list. might try phenibut and picamilon for short term (maybe around exams or other particularly stressful times)

Cooky32

Cooky32

Awards
  • Established
GABA helped me sleep so well. What is it that makes it cause anxiety?
It makes me feel good. I do not like yohimbe. It causes anxiety.
I hate it. I have an appt to get meds tomorrow. I'm military and have to.

oli

oli

Awards
  • Established
thanks for the magnesium tip - i never would've known. just did a search on Google & seems like a lot of people have had success with it. i came across quite a few studies as well.

Blergs

Blergs

Awards
  • Established
so for years and years ive been on prescription medication for anxiety and im ready to get off. ive gradually lowered my dose to the point where im taking so little that i doubt its actually doing anything (probably just a placebo effect that im 'on medication'), but i think the hardest part is going to be getting completely off. i know exercise, breathing techniques, etc help a lot, but im looking for something to take off that extra little edge as i come off completely and in particularly stressful/anxious times.

the research ive done has listed A LOT of different herbs that help (there are about 5-10 specific ones that show up on every list ive found), but im having a hard time finding which ones, exactly, work best. im not in a position where i can buy 5+ more supplements every month or so, and im trying to figure out which one (or two) would be best, which i havent found, leading me here.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kava Kava root, i use the KAvaKava 84% past extract from konakavafarm.com and take 0.5-2g to help sleep of 0.5-1g to axitey.

valarian root also will help.
i use the kava almost daily.
no scripts for me.

useyourhead

Awards
I've been in your same position. I weaned myself down to 2.5mg paxil (the smallest pill they make is 10mg) and decided I could quit just fine. DISASTER STRUCK... I quit for 10 days then went back on 2.5mg for a few months and now I've been on 5mg for 2 and a half months. I still am nowhere near the mental stability I was when on the low dose of the SSRI originally. I looked into a lot of natural supps but I am terrified of how they might interact with medication. I take medication for obsessive thoughts/anxiety.

Has anyone actually quit an SSRI while using any of these supplements? I always read people talking about doing it but I've never heard an actually success story.

oli

oli

Awards
  • Established
zma should help with sleep - which i read will in-turn relieve some anxiety & it has magnesium as well

bill86

bill86

Awards
  • Established
same here..... i weaned down to 5mg celexa (1/4 of a 20 mg pill), and got off for a couple days... anxiety came on hard last night and i had to break down and take another 1/4 pill, and i plan on taking another tonight. i think its a mental thing. coming off 5mg shouldnt be THAT hard (especially after being at 40mg at one point a few years ago, and weaning down from 20mg in the past few months). i too am a little nervous about interactions.

if i had time, i think behavioral therapy would be best overall for learning to manage anxiety while coming off meds. but i dont have the time or money for that right now. and in all honesty, im pretty happy sitting at 5mg daily when, like i said, i was at 40 at one point. plus, i used to take 20mg lexapro, and celexa metabolizes differently, so 5mg celexa = 2.5mg lexapro.... i guess i should look on the bright side haha

I've been in your same position. I weaned myself down to 2.5mg paxil (the smallest pill they make is 10mg) and decided I could quit just fine. DISASTER STRUCK... I quit for 10 days then went back on 2.5mg for a few months and now I've been on 5mg for 2 and a half months. I still am nowhere near the mental stability I was when on the low dose of the SSRI originally. I looked into a lot of natural supps but I am terrified of how they might interact with medication. I take medication for obsessive thoughts/anxiety.

Has anyone actually quit an SSRI while using any of these supplements? I always read people talking about doing it but I've never heard an actually success story.

bill86

bill86

Awards
  • Established
i guess it just worries me a little bit about ssri interactions with supplements. ive really been wanting to give andromass a try (thinking of ph's for a while now), but i worry what it may do mentally or with regards to interaction. i doubt many reps would know, specifically, and my doctor isnt the type who will give me a straight answer knowing its going to lead to me taking ph's.

andrew732

andrew732

Awards
  • Established
Sensoril, Primavie and Schizandrins are current favs used alone or together.

compudog

compudog

Awards
same here..... i weaned down to 5mg celexa (1/4 of a 20 mg pill), and got off for a couple days... anxiety came on hard last night and i had to break down and take another 1/4 pill, and i plan on taking another tonight. i think its a mental thing. coming off 5mg shouldnt be THAT hard (especially after being at 40mg at one point a few years ago, and weaning down from 20mg in the past few months). i too am a little nervous about interactions.

if i had time, i think behavioral therapy would be best overall for learning to manage anxiety while coming off meds. but i dont have the time or money for that right now. and in all honesty, im pretty happy sitting at 5mg daily when, like i said, i was at 40 at one point. plus, i used to take 20mg lexapro, and celexa metabolizes differently, so 5mg celexa = 2.5mg lexapro.... i guess i should look on the bright side haha
Hi, if you're interested you might look into mindfulness based cognitive therapy. It's based on Theraveda Buddhist mindfulness meditation. I've been doing the Theraveda practice for a few years and I can honestly say that it works like nothing else. I haven't been exposed to the mindfulness based cognitive therapy stream, but my teacher has talked about it a lot, he says it's solid and very useful.

bill86

bill86

Awards
  • Established
never heard of it, but ill definitely check it out, thanks!

Hi, if you're interested you might look into mindfulness based cognitive therapy. It's based on Theraveda Buddhist mindfulness meditation. I've been doing the Theraveda practice for a few years and I can honestly say that it works like nothing else. I haven't been exposed to the mindfulness based cognitive therapy stream, but my teacher has talked about it a lot, he says it's solid and very useful.

criticalbench

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I've heard of this being very effective, but never actually looked into it to see what it was all about.

Mike