Need protein!!

lift or die

Awards
Looking for something that helps put on size but without the fat, anybody have any suggestions. I mainly want something that is going to help repair and restore my body after a workout. Thanks!

MentalTwitch

MentalTwitch

Awards
  • Established
It's protein! don't be too cheap for good quality. Isolates have no carbs. I use Myofusion by Gaspari, 4g carbs per/serv i think.
Nutraplanet is good price but haven't tried it.
All They Whey if it's in stock it good too.
The rest of your diet and training will depend on it more than anything. They all range from 20-30g per serving. Of course serving per 2/5/7/10 lb containers vary then. Check carbs as most will have next to no sugars these days.

elgenyo

elgenyo

Awards
  • Established
I used to buy Syntha and Myofusion and the like until I realized it's just protein and it's just a "supplement" to my diet so now I just buy the 5lb bags of Myoplex from EAS at Sam's Club for $27.

Rahl

Rahl

Awards
  • Established
For the most part protein is protein. Find something you like the taste of. Skip the fancy blends. (Though sytha does taste amazing). Online you can grab 5lbs for $35 shipped on most brands. I like ON Vanilla. I've bought a ton from All the Whey too.

Pick up some Casein for your before bed shake. It's a slower digesting protein and it's great for just before you sleep.

Pipes

Awards
  • Established
Could Casein be your main source of protein shake? Or is this only something that would be taken before bed? Also why would you want a slower digesting protien in your stomach while your metabolism is already at a low?

Thanks.

adawg4929

Awards
  • Established
I really really like Myofusion, its got a great profile and especially now that they added the Hydro Whey. It tastes fantastic and mixability is good too, mixes a little bit thicker then most shakes but i really like that, makes it much more shake like.

primetime74

primetime74

Awards
I rotate between Muscle Milk and Syntha 6. I find both keep me fuller and theyre both great tasting as well.

Im trying Monster Milk right now since Im trying to put on some more size.

Rahl

Rahl

Awards
  • Established
Could Casein be your main source of protein shake? Or is this only something that would be taken before bed? Also why would you want a slower digesting protien in your stomach while your metabolism is already at a low?

Thanks.
It could be but it's not optimal. Whey is fast digesting and at times that's what you need. That's why the newer faster absorbing proteins are showing up. Postworkout the quicker you can get protein to your muscles the better. There is some science showing that a blend of whey/casein is the most efficient. If you want that mix your whey with milk and you've got it.

Having a slower digesting protein in your stomach while you sleep can help to keep you anabolic throughout the night. Without protein your body will turn to a catabolic state and begin to feed on muscle.

Whey immediately upon waking is also an efficient use of protein powder.

islandmagic

islandmagic

Awards
  • Established
Inner Armour Mass peak!

.8 Lbs. Chocolate
Supplement Facts
Serving Size4Scoop(173g)
Servings Per Container23

Amount Per Serving % Daily Value

Calories 671
Calories From Fat 63
Total Fat 7g 10%**
Saturated Fat 2g 10%**
Trans Fat 0g
Cholesterol 75mg 25%**
Calcium 325mg 32%**
Sodium 95mg 4%**
Potassium 280mg 8%**
Total Carbohydrate 102g 34%**
Dietary Fiber 0g 0%**
Sugars 3g †
Protein 50g 100%**

** Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
† Daily Value not established

Other Ingredients
Cocoa, Natural And Artificial Flavors, Acesulfame-K, And Sucralose.

MASS-PEAK
Ingredients
Carbo MASS:
Branced And Linear Chain Carbohydrate Restoration Complex (Containing Alpha-(1,4) Linked Glucose Polymers), Glucose Transport And Lean Tissue Support Complex (Containing Chromium Picolinate, Cinnulin PF (Aqueous Cinnamon Extract)(Bark)), Carbogen (Patented Carbohydrate Maximizing Enzyme Complex)

ProNitro 7:
Grade A Full Spectrum Bioactive Whey Protein Complex (Containing Whey Protein Concentrate, Whey Protein Isolate With Naturally Occurring Critical Bioactive Compounds Including Di, Tri And Oligo Peptides, Beta-Lactoglobulin, Alpha-Lactalbumin, Serum Albumin, And Immunoglobulins), Micellar Casein Phosphoprotein Complex (Containing Alpha, Beta And Kappa Casein), Milk Protein Isolate (Containing 80% Casein And 20% Whey Protein Fractions), Aminogen Elite Amino Acid Spiking Polypeptide Complex [Containing Aminogen(Patented Protein Maximizing Enzyme Complex), Proteolytic Enzymes]

Omega 3-MCT
Flax Seed Powder, Containing Omega 3 (Alpha-Linolenic Acid (ALA)), Omega 6 (Linoleic Acid (LA)), Omega 9 (Oleic Acid (OA)), And Lignans], MCT's (Medium Chain Triglycerides), Safflower, (Naturally Containing CLA (Conjugated Linoleic Acid))

GoHardOrGoHme

GoHardOrGoHme

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
My personal fave trutein from trunutrition. I also have been using there isolate and I am very happy with it. It's my brand of choice that I probably...no def wont stray from anytime soon.

I am about to buy their wheyology/isology line since it does contain between 4-5 grams of luecine per serving, very low fat and carb content as well as a digestive enzyme. Just waiting for money to through down and im buying round 10lbs.

IMO it doesnt get much better then that for the price they ask. Sale going on now for the new stuff.

islandmagic

islandmagic

Awards
  • Established
My personal fave trutein from trunutrition. I also have been using there isolate and I am very happy with it. It's my brand of choice that I probably...no def wont stray from anytime soon.

I am about to buy their wheyology/isology line since it does contain between 4-5 grams of luecine per serving, very low fat and carb content as well as a digestive enzyme. Just waiting for money to through down and im buying round 10lbs.

IMO it doesnt get much better then that for the price they ask. Sale going on now for the new stuff.
looking in to that now!!

CDCDCD

Awards
I'm using Dymatize Iso-100. Prior to that, Horleys Ice. Both low carb content.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Looking for something that helps put on size but without the fat, anybody have any suggestions. I mainly want something that is going to help repair and restore my body after a workout. Thanks!
Nothing is going to help you "put on size but without the fat" - whether you gain fat or not when adding size is entirely dependent on your NUTRITION! if you want to minimize fat gain whilst adding mass, then make sure that you keep a close eye on your caloric intake and monitor your progress on a weekly basis, adjusting your nutrition as required.

As far as protein powders, MyoFusion is a great one. You could also use Maximum Absorbed Protein.

Honestly, as long as you watch your nutrition and your protein powder is just another source of protein to get your daily intake of protein alongside your food consumption, you'll be fine.

~Rosie~
The Primordial Woman

primetime74

primetime74

Awards
Inner Armour Mass peak!

.8 Lbs. Chocolate
Supplement Facts
Serving Size4Scoop(173g)
Servings Per Container23

Amount Per Serving % Daily Value

Calories 671
Calories From Fat 63
Total Fat 7g 10%**
Saturated Fat 2g 10%**
Trans Fat 0g
Cholesterol 75mg 25%**
Calcium 325mg 32%**
Sodium 95mg 4%**
Potassium 280mg 8%**
Total Carbohydrate 102g 34%**
Dietary Fiber 0g 0%**
Sugars 3g †
Protein 50g 100%**

** Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
† Daily Value not established

Other Ingredients
Cocoa, Natural And Artificial Flavors, Acesulfame-K, And Sucralose.

MASS-PEAK
Ingredients
Carbo MASS:
Branced And Linear Chain Carbohydrate Restoration Complex (Containing Alpha-(1,4) Linked Glucose Polymers), Glucose Transport And Lean Tissue Support Complex (Containing Chromium Picolinate, Cinnulin PF (Aqueous Cinnamon Extract)(Bark)), Carbogen (Patented Carbohydrate Maximizing Enzyme Complex)

ProNitro 7:
Grade A Full Spectrum Bioactive Whey Protein Complex (Containing Whey Protein Concentrate, Whey Protein Isolate With Naturally Occurring Critical Bioactive Compounds Including Di, Tri And Oligo Peptides, Beta-Lactoglobulin, Alpha-Lactalbumin, Serum Albumin, And Immunoglobulins), Micellar Casein Phosphoprotein Complex (Containing Alpha, Beta And Kappa Casein), Milk Protein Isolate (Containing 80% Casein And 20% Whey Protein Fractions), Aminogen Elite Amino Acid Spiking Polypeptide Complex [Containing Aminogen(Patented Protein Maximizing Enzyme Complex), Proteolytic Enzymes]

Omega 3-MCT
Flax Seed Powder, Containing Omega 3 (Alpha-Linolenic Acid (ALA)), Omega 6 (Linoleic Acid (LA)), Omega 9 (Oleic Acid (OA)), And Lignans], MCT's (Medium Chain Triglycerides), Safflower, (Naturally Containing CLA (Conjugated Linoleic Acid))
It took me a lil while to get use to the thick texture but when you do its a really good product. Definitely one of the better weight gainers out there.

swan1209

Awards
  • Established
Its been touched on in the thread already but the point is so important that its worth stating again. ANY food or food supplement (like protein) will make you fat if you consume too many calories. As far as repair and recovery after a workout, skim milk or skim chocolate milk is a very economical and nutritious option if you can digest it! The blend of whey and casein combined with a healthy dose of carbs along with other micronutrients is probably the best formulation out there for the price. Its hard to improve upon nature! If you can't digest milk (as I can't) I would strongly recommend Maximum Absorbed Protein by Primordial Performance or Extreme Labs Whey protein extreme. These are two of the only protein supplements I can comfortably digest and both have no artificial ingredients.

Mako3

Awards
On Whey and On Casein work great together. Or look into procomplex gainer

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
...If you can't digest milk (as I can't) I would strongly recommend Maximum Absorbed Protein by Primordial Performance or Extreme Labs Whey protein extreme. These are two of the only protein supplements I can comfortably digest and both have no artificial ingredients.
I personally can't use protein powder anymore with out it seriously upsetting my stomach, so I now use MuscleGels, BCAAs, and food for my sources of protein.

As for the Maximum Absorbed Protein, I have heard nothing but good things about this and many people recommend it, so it's worth a try :)

~Rosie~
The Primordial Woman

Tomahawk88

Tomahawk88

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'm using Dymatize Iso-100. Prior to that, Horleys Ice. Both low carb content.
I really like the berry flavor. Got the pina colada but havent tried it yet. Pretty good price for 5lbs of isolate.

CDCDCD

Awards
Im hooked on the banana. Thought it would be too sweet but it's really nice for a change. The price is great, I found horleys too expensive.

swan1209

Awards
  • Established
Hey Rosie, Just thought I'd let you know that I had the same problem and I added probiotics (from New Chapter) and digestive enzymes and things improved quite a bit!

I personally can't use protein powder anymore with out it seriously upsetting my stomach, so I now use MuscleGels, BCAAs, and food for my sources of protein.

As for the Maximum Absorbed Protein, I have heard nothing but good things about this and many people recommend it, so it's worth a try :)

~Rosie~
The Primordial Woman