Whey or Casein protein - does it really matter?

DGA3

Awards
  • Established
Or is it just a marketing ploy to get us to purchase more?

Please explain the difference between consuming a glass of whey protein versus a glass of casein protein. If they both contain, say - 50 grams of protein - does it really matter which form it is in?

:dunno:

Xuchilbara

Awards
Whey = Fast absorbing
Casien = Slow absorbing.

Whey is better when you want protien in your body quickly, and casein is better say for instance, as a pre bedtime meal.

DGA3

Awards
  • Established
Wow.

It couldn't be any more simple!

Thanks for the info.

:thanks:

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
You could get an MPI and have the best of both worlds. I actually think that WPI is slightly overrated as overall nutrition is far more important than overloading at any given time. As with carbs, speed is not necessarily the best option.

DGA3

Awards
  • Established
You could get an MPI and have the best of both worlds. I actually think that WPI is slightly overrated as overall nutrition is far more important than overloading at any given time. As with carbs, speed is not necessarily the best option.
I'm having a brain freeze - what is "MPI?"

I am assuming that "WPI" is whey protein.

nickolas388

Awards
casein = slow
whey = fast

usually people take whey after a workout and casein mid day or before bed. if you didnt want casein, you can go with a blended protein. right now im using optimums nitro-core (blend) with milk before bed.

-nick

matthias7

matthias7

Awards
  • Established
Excellent thread. I like the point that slow adsorption can be beneficial - okay I know about caesin as a sleep meal.

DGA3

Awards
  • Established
Can the two types be mixed into one overall protein product?

Are there any products that contain both?

Is it even a good idea to mix them, or does that somehow lessen the effectiveness of the protein?

Lots of questions, I know, but one should always seek more knowledge!

:yup:

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
MPI is milk protein isolate, which is 20-25% WPI and 75-80% Micellar Casein. Whey is anabolic, but casein is far more anti-catabolic. Recently (as in the past 2 weeks), I've switched from this protocol:
20g BCAA/60g WMS/25g Palatinose
-30 minutes later-
45g WPI

to

-30 minutes later-
25g WPI/20g MC

Lately, I've had some of the best gains in terms of strength, aesthetics, and cardio.

lonewolf0420

lonewolf0420

Awards
  • Established
casein seems to be more effective when cutting
It can be.

I've started throwing casein into my mid-day shake. Why would not want a slow release of amino's through the day? I try to eat every couple of hours, but amount of protein ain't always there. This way I know my body is still being fed quality amino's. Usual mid-day shake consists of 1 1/2 scoops whey, 1 scoop casein. I also throw in some fish oil.

Then I use casein again pre-bed. Two scoops of casein mixed with 1/2 scoop of whey.

darkvard

Awards
Some research showed double or more fat loss while cutting with more mass retained im unsure how many casein they took each day however

munique

Awards
Look for lyle mcdonald's series of articles on choosing the right protein on his site.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
MPI is milk protein isolate, which is 20-25% WPI and 75-80% Micellar Casein. Whey is anabolic, but casein is far more anti-catabolic. Recently (as in the past 2 weeks), I've switched from this protocol:
-30 minutes later-
45g WPI

to

-30 minutes later-
25g WPI/20g MC

Lately, I've had some of the best gains in terms of strength, aesthetics, and cardio.
good protocol

Gizmacho

Gizmacho

Awards
I know how the board is about posting sources, so I'll just say that buying bulk protein is the way to go. I've been very happy with the whey protein I've purchased online recently, a 20 lb. box for $90. It mixes easily, tastes good, and fresher if that makes sense. $90 for 292 (20g of protein) servings, which is actually only 146 since I double up the scoops. I've also been a big fan of Optimum's Nitrocore24 since they were almost giving it away at GNC a while back (I got 12lbs for like $25 w/ all the discounts & gold card). I mix a scoop of NC24 with the WP for a pre-bed snack.

Gizmacho

Gizmacho

Awards
Oh yeah, I meant to add that you can buy pure casein protein in bulk too, which you can add to your preferred shake, for flavor or whatnot. From what I understand, this is what a lot of protein manufacturers do.

marco wolf

marco wolf

Awards
  • Established
Or is it just a marketing ploy to get us to purchase more?

Please explain the difference between consuming a glass of whey protein versus a glass of casein protein. If they both contain, say - 50 grams of protein - does it really matter which form it is in?

:dunno:
It's all a marketing ploy. Just drink milk. It has whey and casein in it.

If you're trying to lose weight, I could see using whey and casein. Otherwise, I don't see the sense in it.

alexx33

Awards
Whey = Fast absorbing
Casien = Slow absorbing.

Whey is better when you want protien in your body quickly, and casein is better say for instance, as a pre bedtime meal.
in basic terms this is all you need to know.

PTAussie

Awards
WPI MPI Who cares?

Heres a thought and this is not meant as criticism just observation. Supplements have always been nothing more that an adjunct to hard frequent heavy training (for the natural athlete). For every guy who debates passionately about the various merits of protein types I will show you a guy that cant double body weight squat or deadlift, Invariably these trainers do not have a decent history of good natural strength gains. Forget the supplements, take a regular protein (test for one that doesnt make you **** every 2 hours). Eat properly test bodyfat weekly and up your weights in a predetermined planned manner over the course of a year and everything will work out (albeit slowly for those of us genetically challenged).

The talk about which brand etc takes the focus of the right activities which is hard brief stregth training. And donteve get me started on the light weight going for the burn type routines
Cheers

PTAussie

Awards
WPI MPI Who cares?

Heres a thought and this is not meant as criticism just observation. Supplements have always been nothing more that an adjunct to hard frequent heavy training (for the natural athlete). For every guy who debates passionately about the various merits of protein types I will show you a guy that cant double body weight squat or deadlift, Invariably these trainers do not have a decent history of good natural strength gains. Forget the supplements, take a regular protein (test for one that doesnt make you **** every 2 hours). Eat properly test bodyfat weekly and up your weights in a predetermined planned manner over the course of a year and everything will work out (albeit slowly for those of us genetically challenged).

The talk about which brand etc takes the focus of the right activities which is hard brief stregth training. And donteve get me started on the light weight going for the burn type routines
Cheers

AnthonyIOSOS

AnthonyIOSOS

Awards
  • Established
casein = slow
whey = fast

usually people take whey after a workout and casein mid day or before bed. if you didnt want casein, you can go with a blended protein. right now im using optimums nitro-core (blend) with milk before bed.

-nick
Quick and to the point. Also, Optimum Nutrition makes a very tasty casein protein. With milk or water it taste great and gives your stomach that full feeling.

I used to drink the casein protein before bed, but through several years I have learned that cottage cheese and milk works just as well, especially if you are trying to gain some size. Many will debate this, but both cottage cheese and milk contain high amounts of casein.

Just something you might want to think about, especially if your wallet is going flat.