Is ephedrine HCl being banned???

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
I was talking to the owner of this small supplement shop today and he was saying that ephedrine hcl wasn't being banned because it is used in cough/asthma medications. He said he thinks it may only be present in drug stories, wasn't sure if he would still be able to carry it though. He was sure that the alkaloids are going out though.

Anyone have any insight on the status of hcl after April 12th?

Thanks.

biggjohn

Banned
Awards
I was talking to the owner of this small supplement shop today and he was saying that ephedrine hcl wasn't being banned because it is used in cough/asthma medications. He said he thinks it may only be present in drug stories, wasn't sure if he would still be able to carry it though. He was sure that the alkaloids are going out though.

Thanks.
I read a story that said it's not going to be banned. Can't find the link off hand.

Siberian

Awards
No, ephedrine HCL and ephedrine sulfate will still be available.

paul3371

Awards

Thanks.
I believe hcl is a controlled substance only the alkaloids were availale for public use. the stuff in cough medicine is pseudoephedrine and some asthma medication has epinephrine which is not the same as ephedrine. hcl is used in many hospitals to increase blood pressure when patients are hypotensive. hcl is much stronger then the alkaloids

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
Prescription

I forgot to add the guy's conspiracy theory, which made sense to me. He said that the drug companies (Lilly, Merck, etc.) wanted ephedra off the market because of the success of it and from the sheer volume of sales - surpassed a billion dollars a year in sales - so that it could come back as a prescription drug. That way they could reap a ton of money as well. I thought it sounded interesting, not sure if anyone cares though....

supersoldier

supersoldier

She thinks my traps'rrrr sexy!
Awards
  • Established
I believe hcl is a controlled substance only the alkaloids were availale for public use. the stuff in cough medicine is pseudoephedrine and some asthma medication has epinephrine which is not the same as ephedrine. hcl is used in many hospitals to increase blood pressure when patients are hypotensive. hcl is much stronger then the alkaloids
Norephedrine HCL is a controlled substance, and Ephedrine HCL will continue to be sold after the ban :D :D :D
http://forums.1fast400.com/?showtopic=1101

biggjohn

Banned
Awards
I forgot to add the guy's conspiracy theory, which made sense to me. He said that the drug companies (Lilly, Merck, etc.) wanted ephedra off the market because of the success of it and from the sheer volume of sales - surpassed a billion dollars a year in sales - so that it could come back as a prescription drug. That way they could reap a ton of money as well. I thought it sounded interesting, not sure if anyone cares though....
I would support that theory. One of the big drug companies (pfizer,GSK?) is looking to market an anti-cancer drug to burn fat, in the next couple of years. I'm sure they have plenty of money to lobby congress vs. the current ephedra manufacturers. Especially with recent proposed laws to cap prescription drug costs, an ephedra ban might have been given to the industry as a concession. America seems to be heading towards a bit of a health craze lately with McDonald's removing supersize items, and Atkins huge popularity. The amount of money to be made in that market is surely tremendous.

MaDmaN

MaDmaN

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
This is taken from the 1Fast site

There have been a lot of questions as to the availability of ephedrine HCl
after the ephedra ban. I wanted to put this up to help clear this up:

Ephedrine HCl is an approved OTC drug for bronchodilation. The purpose of the ephedra ban was to ban ephedra's use in fatloss drugs. For this reason, ephedrine HCl WILL STILL REMAIN AVAILABLE FOR PURCHASE AFTER THE EPHEDRA BAN. Read that again. As David/shpongled has pointed out, the ephedra ban has nothing to do with the sale of ephedrine HCl for its approved purpose.

There is no need to stock up on it. It will still be offered here.

http://forums.1fast400.com/?showtopic=1101