74 Supplement Companies Under Attack

ctAL

Awards
April 28, 2009

Attorney Bob Lee has joined eight other counties in asking the court to halt the sales of vitamin supplements made or sold by 74 companies unless customers are warned that the products contain cancer-causing lead! The complaint alleges the manufacturers failed to provide the warning required by the Safe Drinking Water and Toxic Enforcement Act of 1986, also known as Proposition 65. The complaint also seeks penalties of $2,500 a day for each violation. State law requires businesses to provide a ?clear and reasonable warning? before exposing individuals to chemicals known to the state to cause cancer or reproductive harm. Lead is highly toxic, and has been found to be capable of damaging the nervous system, particularly of children, at increasingly lower levels, according to the complaint. The alleged violations were discovered in July after the FDA released the results of tests of different multivitamin and mineral products, some of which contained excessive amounts of lead according to the FDA testing.

The Companies Being Targeted

* 21st Century Healthcare, Inc.
* Apex Fitness Group, A division of 24 Hour Fitness USA;
* Biosan Laboratories;
* Bluebonnet Nutrition Corporation;
* Bronson Nutritionals;
* Buried Treasure, a division of Life Line Food Inc.;
* Clinician?s Choice;
* D&E Pharmaceuticals;
* Davinci Laboratories of Vermont;
* Delaware Natrol;
* Designs For Health;
* Douglas Laboratories;
* Dynamic Health Laboratories;
* Enzymatic Therapy;
* Esteem Products;
* Fairhaven Health;
* Foodscience Corporation;
* Foodscience of Vermont;
* Futurebiotics;
* Genspec Labs;
* Health Authority Dba Doctor?s Trust Vitamins;
* Hxn Corporation Dba Health Xpress;
* Integrative Therapeutics;
* Irwin Naturals;
* J.R. Carlson Laboratories;
* Kirkman;
* Kordial Nutrients;
* Maximum International;
* Metabolic Maintenance Products;
* Metagenics;
* Mountain Naturals of Vermont;
* Natural Organics;
* Nature?s Secret;
* Nature?s Way Products;
* NBTY;
* New Chapter;
* Nexgen Pharma;
* Nf Formulas;
* Now Foods;
* Nutribiotic;
* Nutritional Specialties;
* Nutri-west;
* Olympian Labs;
* Only Natural;
* Optimal Nutrients, USA, a division of Pegasus Plus;
* Pioneer Nutritional Formulas;
* Pure Essence Laboratories;
* Rainbow Light Nutritional Systems;
* Solgar;
* Spring Valley Herbs & Natural Foods;
* Supernutrition Life-extension Research;
* The Daily Wellness Company;
* The Vitamin Shoppe Industries;
* Threshold Enterprises, the Parent Company Of Source Naturals;
* True Fit Vitamins;
* Universal Nutrition;
* Wyeth Laboratories.

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
Well sh*t, I sell most of those brands at work.

fightbackhxc

fightbackhxc

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Universal is on there???

Delta Force

Delta Force

PES Rep
Awards
  • Established
hmm... muscle tech is not on the list?

if i'm not mistaken they make some vitamins and maybe they sponsored this!!

Delta Force

Delta Force

PES Rep
Awards
  • Established
did they leave any company out? does this mean all vitamins are damaging of the nervous system?

samva777

Awards
California?

April 28, 2009

Attorney Bob Lee has joined eight other counties in asking the court to halt the sales of vitamin supplements made or sold by 74 companies unless customers are warned that the products contain cancer-causing lead! The complaint alleges the manufacturers failed to provide the warning required by the Safe Drinking Water and Toxic Enforcement Act of 1986, also known as Proposition 65. The complaint also seeks penalties of $2,500 a day for each violation. State law requires businesses to provide a ?clear and reasonable warning? before exposing individuals to chemicals known to the state to cause cancer or reproductive harm. Lead is highly toxic, and has been found to be capable of damaging the nervous system, particularly of children, at increasingly lower levels, according to the complaint. The alleged violations were discovered in July after the FDA released the results of tests of different multivitamin and mineral products, some of which contained excessive amounts of lead according to the FDA testing.

The Companies Being Targeted

* 21st Century Healthcare, Inc.
* Apex Fitness Group, A division of 24 Hour Fitness USA;
* Biosan Laboratories;
* Bluebonnet Nutrition Corporation;
* Bronson Nutritionals;
* Buried Treasure, a division of Life Line Food Inc.;
* Clinician?s Choice;
* D&E Pharmaceuticals;
* Davinci Laboratories of Vermont;
* Delaware Natrol;
* Designs For Health;
* Douglas Laboratories;
* Dynamic Health Laboratories;
* Enzymatic Therapy;
* Esteem Products;
* Fairhaven Health;
* Foodscience Corporation;
* Foodscience of Vermont;
* Futurebiotics;
* Genspec Labs;
* Health Authority Dba Doctor?s Trust Vitamins;
* Hxn Corporation Dba Health Xpress;
* Integrative Therapeutics;
* Irwin Naturals;
* J.R. Carlson Laboratories;
* Kirkman;
* Kordial Nutrients;
* Maximum International;
* Metabolic Maintenance Products;
* Metagenics;
* Mountain Naturals of Vermont;
* Natural Organics;
* Nature?s Secret;
* Nature?s Way Products;
* NBTY;
* New Chapter;
* Nexgen Pharma;
* Nf Formulas;
* Now Foods;
* Nutribiotic;
* Nutritional Specialties;
* Nutri-west;
* Olympian Labs;
* Only Natural;
* Optimal Nutrients, USA, a division of Pegasus Plus;
* Pioneer Nutritional Formulas;
* Pure Essence Laboratories;
* Rainbow Light Nutritional Systems;
* Solgar;
* Spring Valley Herbs & Natural Foods;
* Supernutrition Life-extension Research;
* The Daily Wellness Company;
* The Vitamin Shoppe Industries;
* Threshold Enterprises, the Parent Company Of Source Naturals;
* True Fit Vitamins;
* Universal Nutrition;
* Wyeth Laboratories.
Am i correct this is happening in THE PEOPLES REPUBLIC OF CALIFORNIA if so this state is like a nanny state better for the supp compnaies to just not sell there and put a disclaimer on there label not for sale in california :)

jp17815

jp17815

Awards
  • Established
UNREAL!!

Come on already.
Well, Guess I'm off to get a carton of smokes, keg of beer, 20-1/4 pounders with extra cheese and bacon.
And might even hit a methadone clinic on the way home.

Give me a break already!

JP.

lozgod

lozgod

Awards
  • Established
20-1/4 pounders with extra cheese and bacon.

Give me a break already!

JP.
Check out a lot of the changing views on saturated fat. It is borderline on becoming a good fat. Not just by people like Atkins proponets but even the AHA is reconsidering their view on it.

oufinny

oufinny

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Check out a lot of the changing views on saturated fat. It is borderline on becoming a good fat. Not just by people like Atkins proponets but even the AHA is reconsidering their view on it.
Well your body has to saturate fats to actually metabolize them so I have never understood all of the negativity towards saturated fat in moderation. Then again, most people don't understand moderation so who am I kidding. :sad3::sad3::sad3:

silverSurfer

silverSurfer

Awards
  • Established
I'm only familiar with a few of the companies and currently use some of their products... ugh, I too wonder if this is in California only.

corsaking

Awards
  • Established
Am i correct this is happening in THE PEOPLES REPUBLIC OF CALIFORNIA if so this state is like a nanny state better for the supp compnaies to just not sell there and put a disclaimer on there label not for sale in california :)
Bit ironical dont you think that this is happening where the governor of the state of california is Arnie, who probably got to the level he did in Bodybuilding by taking supplements of various descriptions

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Probably has to do with various forms of calcium supplement like calcium carbonate which often has detectable levels of lead.

GoHardOrGoHme

GoHardOrGoHme

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Ok why the heck is NOW foods on there....

GoHardOrGoHme

GoHardOrGoHme

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
something seems really off....

jonnyxbox22

Awards
i remember when i was a manager at the vitamin shoppe that all of the store brand stuff was made by the companies we carried and some of those companies are on that list so that makes sense...what sucks is that some of those companies claimed to be great at quality control and only contain the best ingredients....which i guess one of those is lead

lozgod

lozgod

Awards
  • Established
what sucks is that some of those companies claimed to be great at quality control and only contain the best ingredients....which i guess one of those is lead
Most companies are going to say that. None would say otherwise. I used to wonder what UG labs back in the domestic steroid lab days were as sterile as they claimed. I bet they had pet dander and dirty hands touching all the equipment and chems and powders and all. They all said safety and sterility were their biggest concerns of course.

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Hmmm. I googled "74 Supplement Companies Under Attack" and didn't find one actual article. All I found was a bunch of other forums where aparently the same person posted this same "Article" with some addtional information and also places where some information was left out. If anyone can find a link to the ACUTAL SOURCE of this "article" it would be greatly appreciated. As far as I'm concernd, I will not stop taking my NOW multi vitamin and believe NOW is one of the best Supplement companies in existance as has been around for ages....

OSF Jeff

OSF Jeff

Awards
Hmmm. I googled "74 Supplement Companies Under Attack" and didn't find one actual article. All I found was a bunch of other forums where aparently the same person posted this same "Article" with some addtional information and also places where some information was left out. If anyone can find a link to the ACUTAL SOURCE of this "article" it would be greatly appreciated. As far as I'm concernd, I will not stop taking my NOW multi vitamin and believe NOW is one of the best Supplement companies in existance as has been around for ages....
I googled it as well and got numerous hits including the press release from the Santa Cruz District Attorneys office. Unfortunately I can't post links yet, but if someone will PM I will send you the link to it so you can post it.

phL8Tme

phL8Tme

Awards
Supps., PH's, Trans fat, health care (sorry-relabled insurance reform), global warming (again renamed global climate change, first name could not be proven), no tax increase on the middle class, biggest deficit ever in the history of the world.

Makes me want to scream! Yes I'm on a cycle!

Mabey we need to ban all these hypocrute politicians that say one thing and do another. Remember their biggest job is to get re-elected. They don't care about us, even though they are supposed to work for us.

IN ANY ELECTION, Vote for anyone but incumbant!!!!! Get these controlling power grabbing BS-artists out of office and start over. Thats the only way to send a message.

LOCAL STATE AND FED. levels. WE NEED TO CLEAN HOUSE!

GuyverX

GuyverX

Awards
  • Established
subbed.
That is just wrong.
Some of those companies are good solid brands.
Notice that none of the FDA 'regulated' big pharma is on there.
And their stuff has known and proven side effects.

The Obama administration is acting like some fascist pigs.
Animal Farm, 1984, V for Vendetta .....

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established

The Obama administration is acting like some fascist pigs......
I agree giving the FDA this type of power is not right, but did it seriously start with the Obama administration? The whole thing was somehow forseeable, as it was the culmination of a systematic development over time. I know it is convenient to blame the Obama administration for a lot of things, but it is sometimes both useful and fair to remember that the US is older than just seven or so months.

GuyverX

GuyverX

Awards
  • Established
I agree giving the FDA this type of power is not right, but did it seriously start with the Obama administration? The whole thing was somehow forseeable, as it was the culmination of a systematic development over time. I know it is convenient to blame the Obama administration for a lot of things, but it is sometimes both useful and fair to remember that the US is older than just seven or so months.
I see your point strategic. i will admit that years ago in pol.sci. class in college
some friends and I started debates about the US government eventually becoming tyrannical and overly controlling just like the governments of some older nations. And how its changes would be faster because of how quick technology and other things happened here as opposed to elsewhere.
And how the original values would be lost in the muck.

I know the OB. Admin is trying to help in a way, but what happened to letting people make their own choices dangerous or not.
Especially if those choices are by adults about the state of their own health.
I do know that a lot of supplement companies have shady practices and either intentionally or unintentionally make harmful products.
Since when do criminals care about the law though.

For certain OTC medicines now you have to go to the counter and show ID and get limited quantities just because a few people make drugs out of them.
And they want to do the same to our vitamins and supplement.
If health was really a concern, why have they not come up with healthier meds for the general populace?

They are against gear and related things because of the side effects.
But almost every if not all prescriptions have sides from a regular dosage.
Things like liver and kidney toxicity, helping the onset of osteoporosis, kiling brain cells, lowering the effectiveness of the immune system etc.

Anyway... I'm just wondering where the freedom went.
And a lot of those companies have loyal customers who get great results.
I have gotten more beneficial health advice that worked on these boards and others than I have from licensed PHD's.

And I had some specific health issues that no docs could fix. Spent a lot of money and no results but a lot of problems.
Saw some article on here concerning some specific herbs, and most of those issues have pretty much vanished.

So I might be quite a bit biased.
Thanks for evoking though Strategic.

purebred

Universal is on there???
I'd like for the Universal/Animal reps to chime in.
Well sh*t, I sell most of those brands at work.
forgive me if i come across as intrusive and nosy but where are you working at? i'm about to start working at VS and a lot of these companies have products in our store.

the supplement industry DOES need far more regulation and oversight. Lots of lying and deception in the industry due to lack of supervision. I am fondly interested in seeing how this all turns out.