Sore muscles = need protein?

hl80

Awards
I normally take 5g protein pre- and intra-workout, then 25g or so postworkout, followed up with high-protein foods (and a high protein to carb ratio) for the next 20 hours. I drink an additional protein shake the night of and/or morning after the workout. After that, my calories come from roughly 25% protein, 35% fat, 40% carbs until my next workout.

But if I had a really dynamite workout and I still have muscle soreness 2+ days later, is it wise to keep drinking a little extra protein? Normally the "Growth" phase is 4-20 hours postworkout (when a high protein to carb ratio is favorable), but if muscle soreness implies growth, should I keep taking extra protein while sore?

Thanks for any tips.

jim623

Are you taking any BCAA's? They can aide in recovery. Axcell or RecoverPro are good options.

hl80

Awards
I'm 5'10" 165 and trying to be as cut as possible while maintaining this weight. I eat around 100-120g per day, not including shakes. So on "extra protein needed" days I do shakes.

Mainly I'm wondering if drinking shakes to supplement my food intake would be beneficial not only on workout days, but also while I'm experiencing DOMS.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
You grow when you rest, not while you train. Your daily protein intake should be at LEAST 1g/lb of bodyweight and many do up to 2g/lb.

hl80

Awards
Are you taking any BCAA's?
On workout days I do IntraBolic + Omega Sports ONE intra, then a whey shake postworkout, sometimes with another shake before bed and upon waking. But otherwise it's all diet. Do you think taking additional BCAAs would be beneficial?

jim623

On workout days I do IntraBolic + Omega Sports ONE intra, then a whey shake postworkout, sometimes with another shake before bed and upon waking. But otherwise it's all diet. Do you think taking additional BCAAs would be beneficial?
Yeah I think adding a BCAA supplement on off days would help. I know these powered drinks mixes are expensive so you could look into some tabs for off days. NOW SPORTS is what I take everyday in addition to AXcell.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
But if I had a really dynamite workout and I still have muscle soreness 2+ days later, is it wise to keep drinking a little extra protein? Normally the "Growth" phase is 4-20 hours postworkout (when a high protein to carb ratio is favorable), but if muscle soreness implies growth, should I keep taking extra protein while sore?
DOMS starting 24-72 hours post-training session and lasting for up to 72 hours is NORMAL. It doesn't mean that you need to have more protein (and having more protein is not going to decrease DOMS). So long as you're daily having at least 1g of protein per pound of bodyweight (as Ryan mentioned), then your protein intake should be fine.

Also a note that just because you get DOMS does NOT imply growth. You can get DOMS and have no growth at all, and you can get growth without having DOMS.

~Rosie
Team APPNUT

dropshot001

Awards
doms is normal, but you might want to up the protein anyway. would help you gain faster.

AnthonyIOSOS

AnthonyIOSOS

Awards
  • Established
My recovery was awesome while using intrabolic.

How long have you been working out?

hl80

Awards
My recovery was awesome while using intrabolic.

How long have you been working out?
I've been training for 1.5 years in a sport called parkour, which is like rock climbing and gymnastics in cities. My trainings last 2-4 (sometimes more) hours, and I do it twice a week. (Off days I do 1-2 hrs cardio.) It involves a lot of jumping, so after a good session I'll typically feel DOMS in my quads.

hl80

Awards
Thanks everyone for your tips! It looks like I haven't been consuming enough protein altogether, so I'll (gladly) drink more. I got an accidental double-shipment of 6 lbs of ATW, so I'll be able to tackle that in less time than I thought.

dg806

dg806

Enologist/Brewmaster/Damn good guy
Awards
  • Established
Lactic acid has been thought of as causing doms, but the effects of it usually go away within a few hours. Stretching and warming up may help somewhat.
I think it is part of the adaption process your body goes through in acclimizing to your routine which leads to more stamina and strength as the muscles recover.
Eccentric Muscle Contractions are thought to be the main cause of doms.

Gonzo14

Gonzo14

Awards
  • Established
I've been training for 1.5 years in a sport called parkour, which is like rock climbing and gymnastics in cities. My trainings last 2-4 (sometimes more) hours, and I do it twice a week. (Off days I do 1-2 hrs cardio.) It involves a lot of jumping, so after a good session I'll typically feel DOMS in my quads.
doing PK is going to take a complete toll on your body, specailly your legs. Your protien intake has nothing to do with avoiding DOMS, most anwsers were for typical weight lifting workouts.
Only way to limit soreness after PK would be to work on rolls, and make sure your landing correctly. I know people who have PKed for 3+ years and still hurt themselves because they cannot land the right way.
I'm sure protien intake might help, but just the pounding on your legs from such movement is going to leave you sore

steveironman

Banned
Awards
DOMS starting 24-72 hours post-training session and lasting for up to 72 hours is NORMAL. It doesn't mean that you need to have more protein (and having more protein is not going to decrease DOMS). So long as you're daily having at least 1g of protein per pound of bodyweight (as Ryan mentioned), then your protein intake should be fine.

Also a note that just because you get DOMS does NOT imply growth. You can get DOMS and have no growth at all, and you can get growth without having DOMS.

~Rosie
Team APPNUT
good input ....dispels some common misconceptions.

Punisher63e

Awards
I really only get DOMS in the muscles that I don't work too often... So that would be my legs. I lift 5x a week tho... If I take off a few days off, my next workout session will result in DOMS. I usually fix DOMS by working out more, lol. Also being on The One helps with recovery a lot too :party:

Guess I should mention that I take in at least my body weight in protein every day. And as Rosie said, you can most definitely have growth with out DOMS.

smutty

smutty

Awards
I have trained with and without BCAAs and the soreness ends a lot faster with BCAAs.

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
I have trained with and without BCAAs and the soreness ends a lot faster with BCAAs.
Honestly I love DOMS, lets me know I did it right. But I do use xtend intra workout alot, and doms is reduced. Definitely has a say so in that area.

tnubs

tnubs

Awards
  • Established
Ya, since i quit taking BCAA's ive noticed im more likely to get sore.

UKStrength

need banana
:wtf1:

To the OP - If you're feeling DOMS then I'd definitely look into your recovery/rehabilitation strategies, diet obviously plays a large role in this, however, protein intake shouldn't affect DOMS.

I would focus your efforts on stretching, massage and your sleeping patterns to reduce the DOMS, otherwise look into a BCAA/EAA product for during training and/or a growth hormone stimulating product such as IGF-2 (destroyed DOMS for me).

Flaw

Flaw

Awards
  • Established
You need a adequate amount of calories and proper sleep more then anything. You can have 1 gram of protein per pound of bodyweight but if that equals out to insufficient calories your not gonna grow and will have some nice DOMS. IMO a very balanced diet is the best. I like the 40carbs 30fat 30protein ratio.

Punisher63e

Awards
Honestly I love DOMS, lets me know I did it right. But I do use xtend intra workout alot, and doms is reduced. Definitely has a say so in that area.
Same here... I have to feel at least a little bit sore or I'm working those same muscles again.

To the OP: Try taking Optimum Nutrition (ON) Brand Whey. It has a bunch of BCAA's n yadda yadda and a great source of protein... Plus for the cost it lasts quite a while.. One scoop is 25g of protein 5g of BCAA's and you get like a ridiculous amount of servings in a container... like 70 servings for around 40 dollars. The taste isn't bad and it's very low in sugar. You could also check out Kre-Generator... That is some really good stuff.. Has like defatted freeze dried beef and collostrum and tons of AA's and stuff. Specifically designed to help with recovery and DOMS.

ktatro1

ktatro1

Awards
  • Established
Another thing I notice is that my recovery time decreases when I use an HGH type supplement. last fall I had water polo practice three hours a day, as well as 1 hour of either lifting or cardio seperate from the main practice, totaling 4 hours a day. At 5 days a week this became very grueling work. Adding an HGH supplement allowed me to get more sound sleep, and had a good amount of positive effect on my DOMS. I used a spray under the tongue supplement, but as long as you can keep it in your system, it can very well help.

Big_Spaz

Big_Spaz

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established

I agree. Go with more BCAA's and I bet you'll see a noticeable difference.

-Spaz

subweevil

subweevil

Awards
  • Established
I added very moderate cardio between my sets, sets being like 4 sets of a move, then 3 minutes of the moderate cardio. Seemed to help out. Like others have stated, stretching works well too. Make sure your getting enough water as well. I'd keep a log of what your doing so you can narrow it down as to what's causing the most DOMS, and then go from there with a gameplan and chart the results. Good luck and keep us posted.