Eric Potratz

Eric Potratz

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
CLA softgels
Conjugated linoleic acid

AM Members,

We are proud to announce our new CLA softgels.

CLA has the unique ability to create a leaner body by reducing fat storage and increasing protein retention to support lean muscle growth. CLA does this by reducing the action of GLUT-4 (insulin-responsive glucose transporter) in adipose tissue, and increasing its action in muscle tissue. This shifts glycogen storage towards muscle growth rather than fat storage. (1,5,6)

In a normal diet, we get small amounts of CLA through dairy and meat, but since most modern foods are depleted of CLA, it’s necessary to supplement with CLA to get the optimal amount for fat loss.

Our recommend dose of CLA softgels (4 per day) contains a clinically proven dose of CLA (3.4 grams).

In one study, men and women who took 3.4 g/day of CLA lost 4 lbs of fat over a 12 week period, while the placebo group gained 3 lbs of fat. (2) CLA has also demonstrated the ability to target fat loss in “problem areas” dependent upon the sex. For instance, men who took 4.2 g/day of CLA for 4 weeks had significant reductions of fat from the abdominal region. (3) Another study with overweight women showed a significant and targeted reduction of fat tissue around the thighs. (4)

CLA has been shown to provide these benefits without any side effects after long-term use and is safe for both men and women.

Get CLA softgels now, directly from Primordial Performance[/B]

Yours in health & fitness,

Eric Potratz
Primordial Founder & President

Questions?

Phone – 1-800-568-2924
Email - [email protected]
Visit - Primordial Performance

References -

1. Conjugated linoleic acid and obesity control: efficacy and mechanisms.
YW Wang and PJ Jones
Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord, August 1, 2004; 28(8): 941-55.

2. Conjugated Linoleic Acid Reduces Body Fat Mass in Overweight and Obese Humans
Henrietta Blankson, et al.
J. Nutr., Dec 2000; 130: 2943 – 2948

3. Conjugated linoleic acid (CLA) reduced abdominal adipose tissue in obese middle-aged men with signs of the metabolic syndrome: a randomised controlled trial.
U Riserus, et al.
Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord, Aug 2001; 25(8): 1129-3

4. Six months supplementation with conjugated linoleic acid induces regional-specific fat mass decreases in overweight and obese.
Gaullier JM et al.
Br J Nutr. 2007 Mar;97(3):550-60

5. Glucose transport: pivotal step in insulin action.
Kahn BB. Lilly lecture.
Diabetes 1996; 45: 1644–1654.

6. The effect of conjugated linoleic acid supplementation after weight loss on body weight regain, body composition, and resting metabolic rate in overweight subjects.
MM Kamphuis, et al.
Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord, July 1, 2003; 27(7): 840-7.

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Is it actually possible to decrease the number of fat cells. I think we had discussed this previously but I forget the exact outcome.

Eric Potratz

Eric Potratz

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Is it actually possible to decrease the number of fat cells. I think we had discussed this previously but I forget the exact outcome.
Yes, it was proposed that the up-regulation of TNF-a caused the apoptosis of fat cells in rats, which was shown to also influence human fat cells in-vitro. You probably won’t ever see an in-vivo study examining CLA and fat cell apoptosis in humans though. [unless the researchers perform liposuction on the subjects to examine DNA fragmentation]

-Eric

steveironman

Banned
Awards
Im curious what has your research shown re: decrease in adipose tissue particularity in abdominal area in men (not a shock since that is the primary area for fat storage in males) yet a dramatic increase in fatty deposits on the liver ultimately leading to insulin resistance -which is known to be a bad thing obviously (trademark of type 2 diabetes?). Anything on that ? Do you have any research or just borrowed info from other sources that NEVER explored the full physiological ramifications to cla supplementation. That is all i see in your references.

Eric Potratz

Eric Potratz

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Im curious what has your research shown re: decrease in adipose tissue particularity in abdominal area in men (not a shock since that is the primary area for fat storage in males) yet a dramatic increase in fatty deposits on the liver ultimately leading to insulin resistance -which is known to be a bad thing obviously (trademark of type 2 diabetes?). Anything on that ? Do you have any research or just borrowed info from other sources that NEVER explored the full physiological ramifications to cla supplementation. That is all i see in your references.
Ive debunked some of the CLA mis-understandings in this thread (including the insulin resistance) -

http://anabolicminds.com/forum/company-promotions/127536-complete-8-week-2.html#post1995794

You will have to link me to a data supporting the "dramatic increase in fatty deposits on the liver" comment. Ive never seen this side effect reported in humans at the normally recommended dose.

Here is the abstract on the abdominal area fat reduction -

BACKGROUND: Abdominal obesity is strongly related to metabolic disorders. Recent research suggests that dietary conjugated linoleic acid (CLA) reduces body fat and may improve metabolic variables in animals. The metabolic effects of CLA in abdominally obese humans have not yet been tested. OBJECTIVE: To investigate the short-term effect of CLA on abdominal fat and cardiovascular risk factors in middle-aged men with metabolic disorders. METHODS: Twenty-five abdominally obese men (waist-to-hip ratio (WHR), 1.05+/-0.05; body mass index (BMI), 32+/-2.7 kg/m(2) (mean+/-s.d.)) who were between 39 and 64-y-old participated in a double-blind randomised controlled trial for 4 weeks. Fourteen men received 4.2 g CLA/day and 10 men received a placebo. The main endpoints were differences between the two groups in sagittal abdominal diameter (SAD), serum cholesterol, low-density lipoprotein, high-density lipoprotein, triglycerides, free fatty acids, glucose and insulin. RESULTS: At baseline, there were no significant differences between groups in anthropometric or metabolic variables. After 4 weeks there was a significant decrease in SAD (cm) in the CLA group compared to placebo (P=0.04, 95% CI; -1.12, -0.02). Other measurements of anthropometry or metabolism showed no significant differences between the groups. CONCLUSIONS: These results indicate that CLA supplementation for 4 weeks in obese men with the metabolic syndrome may decrease abdominal fat, without concomitant effects on overall obesity or other cardiovascular risk factors. Because of the limited sample size, the effects of CLA in abdominal obesity need to be further investigated in larger trials with longer duration.

-Eric

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
:rolleyes: Here we go again...

I serioulsy hope you're not trying to imply what i think you are here, steve. I'm VERY interested to read the studies that support something significant in what you've claimed.

Let's further note the potential causes/risk factors of a "Fatty Liver" while we're at it, shall we? They include: Alcohol (by far the most common), Obesity, Malnutrition, Diabetes mellitus (or pre-diabetes related insulin resistance factors), Corticosteroids, Poisons (carbon tetrachloride and yellow phosphorus), Cushing's syndrome, and Hyperlipidemia (elevated cholesterol.)

Shall we dive into the etiology of Diabetes as well to demonstrate a broad spectrum understanding for all our viewers? ;)

Steveoph

Steveoph

NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
When you say new softgels, what exactly was the upgrade? I've got a large stash of some purchased a few months back but it seems similar except mine are black not the yellow ones pictured.

Eric Potratz

Eric Potratz

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
When you say new softgels, what exactly was the upgrade? I've got a large stash of some purchased a few months back but it seems similar except mine are black not the yellow ones pictured.
We changed to free fatty acids instead of ethyl ester.. not much difference really, but no need for the ethyl ester since its not a liquid oral anymore.

-Eric

Eric Potratz

Eric Potratz

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Roger that. I was confused because the supplement facts on the CLA page still lists the Ethyl Ester. Update time? :)
yeah... our website always lags behind our production over here... damn techs...

-Eric

Behemoth1

Awards
  • Established
pretty stoked to see that the product is not outrageously priced. definately see no reason why i wouldn't order 2 or 3 packs to run the 8gelcaps a day. need to help lean up my current bulk. first things first... find a summer job. damn my broke college student status:damnit1:

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established

I serioulsy hope you're not trying to imply what i think you are here, steve. I'm VERY interested to read the studies that support something significant in what you've claimed.

Let's further note the potential causes/risk factors of a "Fatty Liver" while we're at it, shall we? They include: Alcohol (by far the most common), Obesity, Malnutrition, Diabetes mellitus (or pre-diabetes related insulin resistance factors), Corticosteroids, Poisons (carbon tetrachloride and yellow phosphorus), Cushing's syndrome, and Hyperlipidemia (elevated cholesterol.)

dont forget overly high CHO diet, too much fructose/HFCS :)
Shall we dive into the etiology of Diabetes as well to demonstrate a broad spectrum understanding for all our viewers? ;)
and y not dive into the etiology of diabetes, i consider myself pretty well rounded in it in terms of the metabolic fate of the nutrients in specific tissues....

lets do itt!!!! haha

CLA looks promising, i personally havent tryed any yet.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
pretty stoked to see that the product is not outrageously priced. definately see no reason why i wouldn't order 2 or 3 packs to run the 8gelcaps a day. need to help lean up my current bulk. first things first... find a summer job. damn my broke college student status:damnit1:
Man i remember those day, lol.

Stick with it though, bud. It's worth every penny in the end; although being broke does really suck in the short-term...

Our CLA is definitely a very cost-effective addition to a fat loss stack.

Eric Potratz

Eric Potratz

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
and y not dive into the etiology of diabetes, i consider myself pretty well rounded in it in terms of the metabolic fate of the nutrients in specific tissues....

lets do itt!!!! haha
Oh geez... not in this thread....

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

lets do itt!!!! haha

CLA looks promising, i personally havent tryed any yet.
Lol - That was just me being a bit sarcastic. ;)

We're trying to keep this thread on the focal topic, but maybe we can do that in a different section?

Eric Potratz

Eric Potratz

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
haha just playin the game!

products promising i may pick it up for the last couple weeks of my cut
Its a great product to run during a bulk too... to help partition those calories away from fat loss and towards muscle gain.

-Eric

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Ill see how my cash flow is the next couple weeks. Ill run it through pct. I got 7 weeks left then pct maybe ill run it the last 4 weeks we shall see as long as weekend weather is good ill get paid

tribaltek

tribaltek

All Traps - No Tris
Awards
  • Established
Would there be any reason to not run CLA year-round?

Eric Potratz

Eric Potratz

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Would there be any reason to not run CLA year-round?
No problem with that. Id also suggest running some omega-3's with it though to help balance your fatty acid profile.

-Eric

tribaltek

tribaltek

All Traps - No Tris
Awards
  • Established
That's not a problem. I get plenty of omega-3's.

steveironman

Banned
Awards
Ive debunked some of the CLA mis-understandings in this thread (including the insulin resistance) -

http://anabolicminds.com/forum/company-promotions/127536-complete-8-week-2.html#post1995794

You will have to link me to a data supporting the "dramatic increase in fatty deposits on the liver" comment. Ive never seen this side effect reported in humans at the normally recommended dose.

Here is the abstract on the abdominal area fat reduction -

BACKGROUND: Abdominal obesity is strongly related to metabolic disorders. Recent research suggests that dietary conjugated linoleic acid (CLA) reduces body fat and may improve metabolic variables in animals. The metabolic effects of CLA in abdominally obese humans have not yet been tested. OBJECTIVE: To investigate the short-term effect of CLA on abdominal fat and cardiovascular risk factors in middle-aged men with metabolic disorders. METHODS: Twenty-five abdominally obese men (waist-to-hip ratio (WHR), 1.05+/-0.05; body mass index (BMI), 32+/-2.7 kg/m(2) (mean+/-s.d.)) who were between 39 and 64-y-old participated in a double-blind randomised controlled trial for 4 weeks. Fourteen men received 4.2 g CLA/day and 10 men received a placebo. The main endpoints were differences between the two groups in sagittal abdominal diameter (SAD), serum cholesterol, low-density lipoprotein, high-density lipoprotein, triglycerides, free fatty acids, glucose and insulin. RESULTS: At baseline, there were no significant differences between groups in anthropometric or metabolic variables. After 4 weeks there was a significant decrease in SAD (cm) in the CLA group compared to placebo (P=0.04, 95% CI; -1.12, -0.02). Other measurements of anthropometry or metabolism showed no significant differences between the groups. CONCLUSIONS: These results indicate that CLA supplementation for 4 weeks in obese men with the metabolic syndrome may decrease abdominal fat, without concomitant effects on overall obesity or other cardiovascular risk factors. Because of the limited sample size, the effects of CLA in abdominal obesity need to be further investigated in larger trials with longer duration.

-Eric
Who said anything about a study? I simply asked a question ...care to answer it ...your implied answer is no. Actually i asked a couple...you never directly answered any.
You said there are no human studies...does that mean you have seen studies in some animals or something along the lines of the question i asked?

steveironman

Banned
Awards

*L* ok mr trauma nurse , not sure wh y u felt the need to go into yuor little dissertation re: risk factors of "fatty liver ...but i hope it made you feel good doing so .
Now that you have explained several factors that have NOTHING to do with the questions i asked...maybe we can get back on topic. I asked a couple direct questions. How about a couple straight answers ?

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
*L* ok mr trauma nurse , not sure wh y u felt the need to go into yuor little dissertation re: risk factors of "fatty liver ...but i hope it made you feel good doing so .
Now that you have explained several factors that have NOTHING to do with the questions i asked...maybe we can get back on topic. I asked a couple direct questions. How about a couple straight answers ?
You stated this, steve:

Im curious what has your research shown re: decrease in adipose tissue particularity in abdominal area in men (not a shock since that is the primary area for fat storage in males) yet a dramatic increase in fatty deposits on the liver ultimately leading to insulin resistance -which is known to be a bad thing obviously (trademark of type 2 diabetes?).
You're implying that this is a fact based on your statement here; so where's the documentatin that confirms your claims steve? You're always quick to want the "studies" for confirmation, so let's see them, buddy? :wave2:

Well steve-o, it's hard to discern what you consider a question amongst the many confabulations that are offered. What i posted very much was appropriate. You casually left out quite a bit concerning the etiology of a "fatty liver", so i filled in those gaps for you, buddy. I'm sooo glad you enjoyed it! ;)

You're asking a "question" here when there is "question" itself in your professed claim. Do you honestly not see that?

steveironman

Banned
Awards
^^^ *L* yet agin no straight answer of course. I asked about yuor studies. You do have studies right? i mean can u just answer ..not spout off useless knowledge about "fatty liver" ..answer the 2 questions. You should be intelligent enough to discern them...maybe eric is...ill wait for him ....

Pirate!

Pirate!

Awards
  • Established
Good... my favorite is code liver oil.

-Eric
Why cod liver?

Someone should make an Omega/CLA blend with a better formula than GNC's or Abdominal Cuts. Seems like a simple two to one ratio of CLA to EPA/DHA would be a good starting point.

Eric Potratz

Eric Potratz

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
^^^ *L* yet agin no straight answer of course. I asked about yuor studies. You do have studies right? i mean can u just answer ..not spout off useless knowledge about "fatty liver" ..answer the 2 questions. You should be intelligent enough to discern them...maybe eric is...ill wait for him ....
That is your question? If we have studies?

We have lots of studies.

Or are you asking if we have performed clinical trials on CLA? The answer to that is no. there would be no purpose to spend hundreds of thousands on dollars on this when the research has already been done for us.

-Eric

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Wow, just wow.

Steve, you truly are your own worst enemy. It's seriously pure entertainment. :lol:

Again, does the term called a 'reference list' sound at all familiar to you? I'm pretty sure it's listed in the opening post. Are you not seeing that? :dunno:

You still haven't answered my question about your implied statement either, buddy. ;)

steveironman

Banned
Awards
allow me to assist those less able to interpret simple questions: see the bold below ..my original post:

2 simple questions - no answers. Pathetic. Keep tap dancing.

steveironman

Banned
Awards
Wow, just wow.

Steve, you truly are your own worst enemy. It's seriously pure entertainment. :lol:

Again, does the term called a 'reference list' sound at all familiar to you? I'm pretty sure it's listed in the opening post. Are you not seeing that? :dunno:

You still haven't answered my question about your implied statement either, buddy. ;)

*L* i am seriously done with someone as ignorant (and i mean that in the uneducated sense) as you.

Eric - Give me some straight answers...then ..well ill probably make u guys look pretty damn silly re: this entire topic AND product with reference to my "implied" statement (what the hell is an implied statement- oh that's trauma trying to sound intelligent) *L*. So if u want to proceed , answer my original questions.

Eric ..please indulge me ..as a consumer i asked some legitimate questions re your product. Can u please give me direct answers to them ?

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
*L* i am seriously done with someone as ignorant (and i mean that in the uneducated sense) as you.

Eric - Give me some straight answers...then ..well ill probably make u guys look pretty damn silly re: this entire topic AND product with reference to my "implied" statement (what the hell is an implied statement- oh that's trauma trying to sound intelligent) *L*. So if u want to proceed , answer my original questions.

Eric ..please indulge me ..as a consumer i asked some legitimate questions re your product. Can u please give me direct answers to them ?
I swear every failed refute you post is even better than the last. Words can't even begin to define your ignorance, steve. It's utterly amazing...

I'm not a very good tap dancer, but i can do the irish jig. :dance:

Yet again; any documentation to support this statement in regard to CLA which you're further posing as a question?

decrease in adipose tissue particularity in abdominal area in men (not a shock since that is the primary area for fat storage in males) yet a dramatic increase in fatty deposits on the liver ultimately leading to insulin resistance

steveironman

Banned
Awards
^^ yawn ..oh eric..where are you ....what study is that from or what reference? After i make you look silly..and essentially crush interest in this product to any prudent consumer, we can compare my reference and study to your quoted reference re credibility. Gentlemen (actually doesnt apply but hey) you DONT want to go down this road...but i sure hope u do. Now Eric..please directly answer my original questions? Thanks.

Eric Potratz

Eric Potratz

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Im curious what has your research shown re: decrease in adipose tissue particularity in abdominal area in men (not a shock since that is the primary area for fat storage in males) yet a dramatic increase in fatty deposits on the liver
Steve, what exactly are you asking?

Ive never seen any research that shows a normal dose of CLA causing fatty liver deposits in humans... Are you suggesting this is a side-effect of CLA? Do you have a reference for this?

Do you have any research or just borrowed info from other sources that NEVER explored the full physiological ramifications to cla supplementation.
That is correct, we are only referencing outside research. (the way it should be)

-Eric

steveironman

Banned
Awards
Steve, what exactly are you asking?

Ive never seen any research that shows a normal dose of CLA causing fatty liver deposits in humans... Are you suggesting this is a side-effect of CLA? Do you have a reference for this?

SO in your extensive research regarding your products referred to in other posts you found NO studies referencing this effect at all? Nothing? Is that correct? Im just making sure we are 100% clear here eric.,

That is correct, we are only referencing outside research. (the way it should be)

No the question was borrowing info from other sources that NEVER explored the full physiological ramifications to cla supplementation. Not "referencing outside research".
-Eric
Unfortunately I feel i have to be so picky since getting a straight answer is so difficult ,so please respond accordingly, then we can put this issue to bed. It wont be to your benefit at all...but at least it will be the truth. So please answer specifically the questions asked.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
^^ yawn ..oh eric..where are you ....what study is that from or what reference? After i make you look silly..and essentially crush interest in this product to any prudent consumer, we can compare my reference and study to your quoted reference re credibility. Gentlemen (actually doesnt apply but hey) you DONT want to go down this road...but i sure hope u do. Now Eric..please directly answer my original questions? Thanks.
What is that, a threat there stevie-o? :rolleyes: :lol: :lol:

Thanks for bumping the thread, buddy; as well as your continued interest in our product line. You the man! :wave2:

Eric Potratz

Eric Potratz

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
SO in your extensive research regarding your products referred to in other posts you found NO studies referencing this effect at all? Nothing? Is that correct? Im just making sure we are 100% clear here eric
I remember seeing something about fatty liver in mice who where given huge amounts of CLA... nothing that ever translated to humans at a regular dose though.

-Eric

simmons

simmons

Awards
  • Established
What is that, a threat there stevie-o? :rolleyes: :lol: :lol:

Thanks for bumping the thread, buddy; as well as your continued interest in our product line. You the man! :wave2:

I think Steve is currently sitting somewhere between yellow and orange... :dunno:

steveironman

Banned
Awards
I remember seeing something about fatty liver in mice who where given huge amounts of CLA... nothing that ever translated to humans at a regular dose though.

-Eric
Well you never answered my second question Eric..im not surprised. Well lets just START here (much more to come if u really wish to continue - we will start off weaker and just continue to post more convincing , reputable evidence that this , yet again , is another PP supp that is def not prudent) :

Journal of Lipid Research, Vol. 44, 2234-2241, December 2003
Copyright © 2003 by American Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology

In conclusion, the evidence from human short-term studies suggests that CLA supplementation does not reduce body weight and body fat or increase FFM. There is evidence that CLA isomers sold as dietary supplements have marked biological effects, but there is accumulating evidence that the CLA t10,c12 isomer may adversely influence human health by producing lipodystrophy and insulin resistance and by decreasing milk fat production in lactating women.

Oh they also pointed this out ...which speaks directly to your weak references: Which is why you avoided answering my second question directly:

When evaluating the outcome of a study, it should be emphasized that any beneficial changes in body weight/body composition should be associated with beneficial findings on type-2 diabetes and/or cardiovascular risk factors. Long-term, large-scale studies including better estimates of body composition (e.g., DXA scanning) and indices of insulin sensitivity and cardiovascular fitness (e.g., arterial compliance) are required before firm conclusions can be drawn.

Much more to come should you chose to continue.......

Eric Potratz

Eric Potratz

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Well you never answered my second question Eric..im not surprised. Well lets just START here (much more to come if u really wish to continue - we will start off weaker and just continue to post more convincing , reputable evidence that this , yet again , is another PP supp that is def not prudent) :

Journal of Lipid Research, Vol. 44, 2234-2241, December 2003
Copyright © 2003 by American Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology

In conclusion, the evidence from human short-term studies suggests that CLA supplementation does not reduce body weight and body fat or increase FFM. There is evidence that CLA isomers sold as dietary supplements have marked biological effects, but there is accumulating evidence that the CLA t10,c12 isomer may adversely influence human health by producing lipodystrophy and insulin resistance and by decreasing milk fat production in lactating women.

Oh they also pointed this out ...which speaks directly to your weak references: Which is why you avoided answering my second question directly:

When evaluating the outcome of a study, it should be emphasized that any beneficial changes in body weight/body composition should be associated with beneficial findings on type-2 diabetes and/or cardiovascular risk factors. Long-term, large-scale studies including better estimates of body composition (e.g., DXA scanning) and indices of insulin sensitivity and cardiovascular fitness (e.g., arterial compliance) are required before firm conclusions can be drawn.

Much more to come should you chose to continue.......

Ok, back to reality…

The only negative info you will find on “CLA” is when the single isolated isomers are used, such as this study (and the one you posted above) -

Treatment with dietary trans10cis12 conjugated linoleic acid causes isomer-specific insulin resistance in obese men with the metabolic syndrome.
Riserus U, et al.
Diabetes Care 2002;25:1516 –21.

However, no side-effects have been found to occur in a balanced mix of the c-9, t-11/t-10, c-12 isomers. (which is included in our CLA) If you interested in reading more about that, you can read this study -

Perspective on the safety and effectiveness of conjugated linoleic acid.
Pariza MW. et al.
Am J Clin Nutr 2004;79(suppl):1132S–6S

Basicaly, with a 50/50 balanced mix of those isomers it creates a unique antagonistic relationship that prevents the the possible negative side effects of using any isomer alone. Covered here –

Effects of cis-9,trans-11 conjugated linoleic acid supplementation on insulin sensitivity, lipid peroxidation, and proinflammatory markers in obese men
Ulf Risérus, et al.
Am. J. Clinical Nutrition, Aug 2004; 80: 279 - 283.

-Eric

steveironman

Banned
Awards
*LMAO* ok Eric....some people may actually buy that nonsense...but i will simply continue to post studies showing the potential dangers of cla re: insulin resistance as well as increased fat deposits / liver hyperatrophy as a result of CLA supplementation. Dont hand me this "unique blend" BS. That is so overused in this corrupt supplement industry it isnt even funny. Again - Shameful. Thats IS the reality.

Eric Potratz

Eric Potratz

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
*LMAO* ok Eric....some people may actually buy that nonsense...but i will simply continue to post studies showing the potential dangers of cla re: insulin resistance as well as increased fat deposits / liver hyperatrophy as a result of CLA supplementation. Dont hand me this "unique blend" BS. That is so overused in this corrupt supplement industry it isnt even funny. Again - Shameful. Thats IS the reality.
I can give you the full texts to the studies I posted if you want to review them.

Again, you aren't going to find any negative info on the naturally occurring blend of isomers.

-Eric

steveironman

Banned
Awards
I can give you the full texts to the studies I posted if you want to review them.

Again, you aren't going to find any negative info on the naturally occurring blend of isomers.

-Eric
Sure Eric..provide me with the link to thank study. Ironic initially asked if any studies showed any effects re: insulin resistance and fatty liver and u said none in humans you know of. Scrambling? Researching now instead of prior to claims you made? *L* Anyway post the link Eric.....

I digress:

J Lipid Res. 2003 Aug 16 [Epub ahead of print].

Efficacy and safety of dietary supplements containing conjugated linoleic acid (CLA) for the treatment of obesity-evidence from animal and human studies.

Larsen TM, Toubro S, Astrup A.

Dietary supplements containing CLA are widely promoted as weight loss agents available over the counter and via the Internet. In this review we evaluate the efficacy and safety of CLA supplementation based on peer reviewed published results from randomized placebo-controlled human intervention trials lasting more than 4 weeks. We also review findings from experimental studies in animals and studies performed in vitro. Overall, CLA appears to produce loss of fat mass and increase lean tissue mass in rodents, but the results from 13 randomized, controlled short term (<6 months) trials in humans revealed only little evidence to support that CLA reduces body weight or promotes repartitioning of body fat into fat free mass in man. However, from mice and human studies there is increasing evidence that the CLA isomer t10,c12 may produce liver hypertrophy and insulin resistance via a redistribution of fat deposition that resembles lipodystrophy. CLA also decreases the fat content of the milk among lactating women and cows. In conclusion, although CLA may attenuate increases in body weight and body fat in several animal models, CLA isomers sold as dietary supplements does not prove effective as weight loss agents in humans and may actually adversely affect human health.

Link to full study: http://www.jlr.org/cgi/reprint/R300011-JLR200v1

Oh and pay attention to the section on human intervention studies...

Eris id just stop now...the pms i get showing what people are starting to think about you and your products..id be very careful what i post ..esp this after the fact nonsense especially when u were already asked directly and claimed NO knowledge re cla and insulin resistance fatty liver. Your credibility is getting shot. Oh and lay of the blend nonsense ok ? Seriously - save it .

Eric Potratz

Eric Potratz

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Sure Eric..provide me with the link to thank study. Ironic initially asked if any studies showed any effects re: insulin resistance and fatty liver and u said none in humans you know of. Scrambling? Researching now instead of prior to claims you made? *L* Anyway post the link Eric.....

I digress:

J Lipid Res. 2003 Aug 16 [Epub ahead of print].

Efficacy and safety of dietary supplements containing conjugated linoleic acid (CLA) for the treatment of obesity-evidence from animal and human studies.

Larsen TM, Toubro S, Astrup A.

Dietary supplements containing CLA are widely promoted as weight loss agents available over the counter and via the Internet. In this review we evaluate the efficacy and safety of CLA supplementation based on peer reviewed published results from randomized placebo-controlled human intervention trials lasting more than 4 weeks. We also review findings from experimental studies in animals and studies performed in vitro. Overall, CLA appears to produce loss of fat mass and increase lean tissue mass in rodents, but the results from 13 randomized, controlled short term (<6 months) trials in humans revealed only little evidence to support that CLA reduces body weight or promotes repartitioning of body fat into fat free mass in man. However, from mice and human studies there is increasing evidence that the CLA isomer t10,c12 may produce liver hypertrophy and insulin resistance via a redistribution of fat deposition that resembles lipodystrophy. CLA also decreases the fat content of the milk among lactating women and cows. In conclusion, although CLA may attenuate increases in body weight and body fat in several animal models, CLA isomers sold as dietary supplements does not prove effective as weight loss agents in humans and may actually adversely affect human health.

Link to full study: http://www.jlr.org/cgi/reprint/R300011-JLR200v1

Oh and pay attention to the section on human intervention studies...

Eris id just stop now...the pms i get showing what people are starting to think about you and your products..id be very careful what i post ..esp this after the fact nonsense especially when u were already asked directly and claimed NO knowledge re cla and insulin resistance fatty liver. Your credibility is getting shot. Oh and lay of the blend nonsense ok ? Seriously - save it .

Here is a link to the article –

http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/reprint/79/6/1132S?maxtoshow=&HITS=&hits=&RESULTFORMAT=1&title=Perspective+on+the+safety+and+effectiveness+of+conjugated+linoleic+acid&andorexacttitle=and&andorexactfulltext=and&searchid=1&FIRSTINDEX=0&sortspec=relevance&fdate=//&tdate=//&resourcetype=HWCIT

Here is a quote right from that study -

“The most successful clinical studies
were conducted with high-quality CLA preparations that consist
almost entirely (ie, _90%) of the 2 biologically active isomers
(Figure 1) in approximately equal amounts (ie, about 45% each),
as reviewed by Gaullier et al (32). It should also be noted that
such high-quality CLA, when consumed at 3–6 g/d, does not
appear to induce adverse effects in humans (7, 11, 33, 34).”

And a link to the other study.

http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/reprint/80/2/279?maxtoshow=&HITS=&hits=&RESULTFORMAT=1&title=Effects+of+cis-9,trans-11+conjugated+linoleic+acid+supplementation+on+insulin+sensitivity&andorexacttitle=and&andorexactfulltext=and&searchid=1&FIRSTINDEX=0&sortspec=relevance&fdate=//&tdate=//&resourcetype=HWCIT

Both studies discuss the importance of the balanced isomer content. (in the “discussion” section)

Again, no research has shown that balanced CLA isomer content induces insulin resistance or fatty liver in humans.

-Eric

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Why did you all switch from CLA ethyl ester?
-Thanks