B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Is There A Link Between Melatonin And Cancer

The natural hormone melatonin, while regulating the sleep cycle, also has another recently proven health benefit. Melatonin is produced in the body when light levels are low, but also seems to have a cancer preventing effect. According to a few published studies, blind people do not get cancer as often as others, shift-workers may be more at risk for cancer, and melatonin is effective at killing a harmful molecule common in the human body. In this article we'll look at these effects on cancer and their connection with melatonin.

In a study published in Epidemiology (1998 Sep;9(5):490-4), a sampling was taken of almost 14,000 blind people from Sweden and their cancer rates determined. While the cancer rates were lower in the blind sample by a significant amount, researchers caution that other factors need to be accounted for. However, the study did point to the possibility that the bodies of visually-impaired people may be producing more melatonin due to lower light levels. While there may also be dietary effects involved here, there are several other studies showing a definite link between light exposure and cancer.

Breast cancer rates are 50% higher in women working a night-shift, such as nurses, as opposed to those on a day shift. The conclusion is that women who work at night are exposed to the indoor lights at their job, as well as the daylight during the day. Twenty-four hours of light exposure. Their bodies do not produce as much melatonin as a person with a regular schedule. So what are we to draw from this?

In essence, melatonin is a cancer-fighter. In a study published in the Journal of Clinical Oncology (Vol 20, Issue 10 (May), 2002: 2575-2601), melatonin is shown to be a terrific killer of free radicals. Free radicals are rampant oxygen molecules in the body that can cause cell damage that leads to such diseases as cancer. In addition, the hormone was shown to truly be effective at killing cancer cells, even in conjunction with traditional cancer treatment options. Some doctors regularly prescribe melatonin during cancer therapy.

While the best use of melatonin in the short term is to treat jet lag, as well as the occasional bout of insomnia, it's health benefits far exceed sleep-related disorders. Since light exposure brings melatonin production to a halt, and cancer forms more readily in those who receive too much light exposure, melatonin is a proven anti-cancer supplement. We recommend caution in taking large amounts over a long period of time as the long-term side effects are still unknown, although as a secondary backup to a traditional ongoing cancer therapy, it may be of use to cancer patients.

Read about some of the possible dangers of taking melatonin at http://www.supplementzone.org/melatonin, a website devoted to giving you the truth behind dietary supplements before taking them. Alan Glender is one of the editors and regular contributors to SupplementZone.org.

By: Alan Glender

Agent Orange

Agent Orange

Awards
I heard on a fitness radio talk show the other day that Melatonin can halt the production of serotonin. The host advised against taking melatonin. I have been taking it for a while and have absolutely loved it. I have problems going to sleep from time to time. Have you heard anything about this serotonin halting effect?:dunno:

justreading

justreading

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I heard on a fitness radio talk show the other day that Melatonin can halt the production of serotonin. The host advised against taking melatonin. I have been taking it for a while and have absolutely loved it. I have problems going to sleep from time to time. Have you heard anything about this serotonin halting effect?:dunno:
Interested

Parrrish

Awards
This work examined the influence of the pineal gland and its hormone melatonin on the metabolism of serotonin (5-HT) in discrete areas of the forebrain, such as the Striatum and the nucleus accumbens, and the midbrain raphe. The content of 5-HT and its major oxidative metabolite, the 5-hydroxyindoleacetic acid (5-HIAA), as well as the in-vivo tryptophan hydroxylation rate were examined after long-term pinealectomy (one month) and daily melatonin treatment (500 g/kg; twice daily for ten days) in pinealectomized rats. Pinealectomy did not alter 5-HT content in any of these brain areas, but it significantly increased the content of 5-HIAA in Striatum and the 5-HIAA/5-HT ratio in nucleus accumbens. The normal values of these parameters were recuperated after administration of exogenous melatonin, but it also increased the rate of tryptophan hydroxylation in both areas. In addition, melatonin treatment decreased the levels of 5-HIAA in dorsal raphe nucleus. These data suggest that the pineal gland, through the secretion of melatonin, modulates the local metabolism of 5-HT in forebrain areas by acting on the oxidative deamination. Moreover, melatonin injected in pinealectomized rats derives in a more extended effect than pinealectomy and induces a stimulation of 5-HT synthesis in the striatum, probably due to a pharmacological effect. These results point to the striatum as a target area for the interaction between pineal melatonin and the serotonergic function, and suggest a differential effect of the melatonin injected on areas containing serotonergic terminals and cell bodies, which may relevant for the mode of action of melatonin and its behavioral effects.

justreading

justreading

Banned
Awards
  • Established
daily melatonin treatment (500 g/kg; twice daily for ten days) in pinealectomized rats.
Did not understand much but this stood out so I didn't bother reading it again. Considering most people take just a couple mg this is not relevant at all