Accutane

Sanosuke

Sanosuke

Awards
  • Established
From what Ive heard this is a deriviative of vitamin A? does anyone know what that means? Ive heard high doses of vit A like around 100,000 IU helps acne pretty well.. but I dont get what they mean by a derivative of the vitamin?

Matthew D

Awards
  • Established
Be careful with vitamins like A that are fat souble.. you CAN in certain cases develop toxic levels of it. Now how much is toxic I really don't know
Matt

Sanosuke

Sanosuke

Awards
  • Established
i knew about vitamin b5.. but never heard that gugglesterones help.. interesting..

Sean

Awards
From what Ive heard this is a deriviative of vitamin A? does anyone know what that means? Ive heard high doses of vit A like around 100,000 IU helps acne pretty well.. but I dont get what they mean by a derivative of the vitamin?
No, high doses of Vitamin A will not help.

Accutane (isotretinoin) is a synthetic relative of Vit. A, yes, but that said, if large doses of A actually helped, there would be a hell of a lot of people using that instead of Accutane. I read somewhere before that you shouldn't take Vit A when doing Accutane, either - it makes the dryness worse.

Got some of the stuff above from here: http://www.noah-health.org/english/pregnancy/march_of_dimes/pre_preg.plan/accutane.html

true_c

Awards
b5 has been helpful to some

u can also start out w/ less strong medications for acne - unless u've got it bad something like retin-a is probably goin to work for u

just dont get tetracyclone (sp?) - been said it loses effectiveness w/ a high protein diet

Sanosuke

Sanosuke

Awards
  • Established
even though accutane isnt the same as vitamin A ive read that doses of about 100,000iu-150,000iu really helps with acne.. it is suggested to use beta carotene though since vitamin a itself can start getting toxic at those doses.. also you need to take about 10g's a day of vitamin b5(Pantothenic Acid) if you have severe acne and about 5g's a day for mild acne... combine those together with some 2.5 or 5% benzoyl peroxide and your acne should be gone within a few weeks and you dont have to worry about the harmful effects of accutane

true_c

Awards
here's the thing, a lot of things that look like acne - arent. to the avg. person on the street they are, but technically they can differ. and some acne treatments wont actually help w/ whatever "acne" condition you have. i used benz. perox. and it didnt help. plus a supply only lasted 2 weeks and had to be refridgerated (that was a pain) and stirred on few occasions

i'd go to a dermatologist, grab some retin-a (they'll give it to u dont worry) and try that

if u go to a normal doc, they'll prolly start u w/ the b.p. - but a dermo will give u the r-a - which is prolly ur best bet.

i dont think that a high dosage of vitamin A will work - its not the same as Accutane - so i wouldnt try to substitute it for the real thing.

maybe u should go to a doc and find this out for sure tho

Sanosuke

Sanosuke

Awards
  • Established
ive been on retina-a and it did nothing.. i was on accutane for 6 months and worked wonders.. now im off it and ive got a little that came back.. right now im using some benzoyl .. i dont know what kind you were using but im just using the kind from OXY it works pretty good.. i wash my face with Purpose brand soap twice a day and use the benzoyl twice a day.. ive been doing this for 2 weeks and my acne has subsided pretty well..
this is what ive heard on vitamin A:
Vitamin A reduces sebum and keratin production, two substances the skin produces which can be main causes for blocked pores. Vitamin A also maintains healthy cell membranes and helps to prevent invasion of disease causing microorganisms.. ive read numerous success stories with people on vitamin a but it should be bought in the beta-Carotene form...
and if you go here gmuntz.tripod.com/b5.html itll give you some info to why Pantothenic Acid(B5) is so effective for treating acne

true_c

Awards
have u talked to a doc bout it - s/he could prolly answer your question

Sanosuke

Sanosuke

Awards
  • Established
im in the military.. our doctors are freakin morons.. they prescribe motrin for EVERYTHINg... Finger cut off? motrin for you!!

UnicronSpawn

UnicronSpawn

Awards
  • Established
im in the military.. our doctors are freakin morons.. they prescribe motrin for EVERYTHINg... Finger cut off? motrin for you!!
LOL! That reminds me of that Chris Rock number where he talks about how when he was a kid, "Whatever you had, TUSSIN better handle it!" Skinned knee? ......Tussin! Eyeball popped out? ......Tussin!

JonesersRX7

JonesersRX7

Awards
  • Established
LOL! That reminds me of that Chris Rock number where he talks about how when he was a kid, "Whatever you had, TUSSIN better handle it!" Skinned knee? ......Tussin! Eyeball popped out? ......Tussin!
Reminds me to check the date on almost 3 year old threads..... :trout:

400runner

Banned
Awards
  • Established
why was this stuff pulled off the market? was it because of the sides or what?