New guy here, looking for help with weight management

MPLexus301

Awards
Hey guys,

I was referred to the forum as my brother posts here and mentioned that there is a wealth of knowledge on these boards. I am looking for some help with losing weight and getting into better shape, and keeping it off so I guess I should just get into it...

I just turned 21 a few weeks ago and got a new summer internship which required a health assessment. I came in at exactly 6 feet tall (no shock there) and 244lbs (a shock indeed) on the scale. Clearly, we have some issues.

As a kid I always struggled with my weight but in high school I got a bowflex and really decided to take charge of my health. When I was 16 I weighed about 280lbs (the largest point in my life), but from working out and eating better, I slimmed down to about 210lbs in just a few months. I guess they say baby fat comes off easier? I was using my bowflex for ~45 mins each day combined with about 45 mins of cardio, and really cut my diet down...clearly it worked.

Fast forward...I go off to college and get away from mom's cooking and start a regular gym regimen, and drop another 15 lbs, putting me right at about 195- The lightest I had ever been in recent memory. Well on Jan 6, 2007 I got into a pretty horrible car wreck and walked away with what, at the time, seemed like no damage. After a few days and weeks passed it became clear that I had soft tissue damage in my neck, upper and lower back, and shoulder. I was no longer able to work out like I had been and started putting weight back on slowly but surely. I had tried working out again here and there but weight lifting continued to irritate my shoulder, my classes got harder and I took on a job. Not that there are ever excuses for being unhealthy, but my health was no longer the priority that it once was.

I began to realize that I was putting on weight but just didn't have the time or $$ to get back into working out, plus it was later told to me that the soft tissue injures in my neck, back, and shoulder are all permanent and I'm just more or less...screwed. Truthfully I have been blessed with a naturally muscular build and I can hold weight without it being too noticeable. I've got very broad shoulders with a big chest, big calves and thighs, and wide set hips. I feel like a lot of people misuse the term, but I really am "big boned". 195 up to about 215 lbs wasn't much of a difference but after that I noticed that I was slipping back into my "fat" shorts and "fat" shirts more often and just told myself that I would get back into shape when I could.

Well...after my health assessment a month or so ago, I decided that the time is now and I really need to start and take control. I had gone back to my tactics from my previous weight loss, but my shoulder quickly made it known that my weight lifting days were nothing like they had been. As a kid I swam competitively for years and decided to join LA Fitness (the only gym around here with an olympic size pool) and swim laps for an hour or so, 4-5 times a week hoping that the resistance in the water wouldn't irritate my injuries, and thankfully it hasn't. In addition I have really streamlined my diet and ruled out all sweets, almost all breads and pastas except for those that are whole weat, processed foods, snacks, and have tried to really focus on fish, chicken, salads, fruits, vegetables, some nuts, and some dried fruit. I also do not drink more than maybe one drink once a month. Portions have never really been a problem for me, but I am still trying to eat a bit less without being hungry after meals. Just content, I would say. I might go out to dinner once on a weekend, but for the most part I have been working towards a healthier diet for a while not just for the aesthetic reasons, but for internal health as well.

After a month of the increased pool time and more rigorous diet, I am in the same boat that I started in. I know weight loss takes a while and you've got to get into a groove and work towards results...but not one pound in a MONTH? I have always quickly gained noticeable muscle in my chest, abdomen, arms and thighs and all of them feel a good bit tighter than they did before the swimming, and I've been told that muscle weighs more than fat which could be a problem on the scale...but I am still frustrated.

So now I need your help, advice, and input. What types of things should I be doing that I am currently not? Are there supplements that I should consider?

Any other words on workouts, how to deal with injuries, or just general advice would be greatly appreciated.

-Michael

p5sky

p5sky

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
check out the sections for weight loss and diet and nutrition. These can help you get you diet lined up, this is most important. Cardio is essential for fat loss, but you also need to to hit the weights. As far as supplements you should stick with basics until you have your diet and workout set.

Protein, multivitamin, and fish oils are general staples. From there you can add in a pre-workout and creatine. Wait to add a fat burner until you are stuck in your weight loss, drop wt with diet and exercise.

check out this soon to be released product . . . has many essentials
http://anabolicminds.com/forum/anabolic-innovations/102376-finally-all-one.html

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Well your right you should not be overly concerned what the scales says. What does the mirror say?

If I were you I would still try to incorporate some resistance training, which will help you burn fat. Start monitoring what you eat, calorie content/macro nutrient ratio's. Get a plan and stick to it. Yes there will come a day that you will know how to eat without micro-managing these factors but that comes with experience and experience take time.

Brad2131

Awards
If you have been working at this for a few months now, in my personal opinion, i would say your ready for a product such as Recreate. This should help you kick off your weight loss and get you over the obviously pleateu your at now.

just my op

Boyders

Boyders

Awards
  • Established
Would you mind posting a sample meal log over a few days? weight training is all good but by no means the necessary way to reduce weight/fat. If you haven't lost in a month, it sounds like either you aren't creating that calories deficit required to lose weight or you aren't eating only 2-3 times a day and your body is holding on to those calories for dear life.

TexasLifter89

TexasLifter89

Awards
  • Established
whats your approx bf%? I would say dont mess with any supplements of weight loss till around 18-20%? I may be wrong but i believe that is the recommended Bf to wait till to consider fat burners

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
whats your approx bf%? I would say dont mess with any supplements of weight loss till around 18-20%? I may be wrong but i believe that is the recommended Bf to wait till to consider fat burners
Yah break the 20% barrier then if your in a real plateau try supps.

Brad2131

Awards
what is the reason for waiting on the fat burners until the lower bf %age?

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
You simply don't need them till you start to plateau. If you can't lose without them then your chances aren't any better with them really. Supps enhance results they don't make them happen.

TexasLifter89

TexasLifter89

Awards
  • Established
what is the reason for waiting on the fat burners until the lower bf %age?
because at that high of a BF you likely are not following a strict diet, workout regiment, sleep pattern, ect. Once you start following a consistent regiment you will see fat fall at a rather decent speed. Also, at the BF just correcting those things will do as much good as a fat burner

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
because at that high of a BF you likely are not following a strict diet, workout regiment, sleep pattern, ect. Once you start following a consistent regiment you will see fat fall at a rather decent speed. Also, at the BF just correcting those things will do as much good as a fat burner
yes that is actually true up to around 15% bf for most of us...

Boyders

Boyders

Awards
  • Established
How about this POV: Using a fat burner from the beginning allows for initial weight loss while the fatty figures out their diet. If they try and lose weight on their own and don't do it right the first time, and not lose any weight, they may give up! We all know getting in tune with your body's reactions to food intake is a long process and so is fat loss.

I agree with your point of view, I am just throwing another out there. With my cut (4 weeks left thank god) I did 4 weeks el naturale, 4 weeks lev reloaded/dcp and now last four weeks with carbs back in the diet with AP and recreate.

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
How about this POV: Using a fat burner from the beginning allows for initial weight loss while the fatty figures out their diet. If they try and lose weight on their own and don't do it right the first time, and not lose any weight, they may give up! We all know getting in tune with your body's reactions to food intake is a long process and so is fat loss.

I agree with your point of view, I am just throwing another out there. With my cut (4 weeks left thank god) I did 4 weeks el naturale, 4 weeks lev reloaded/dcp and now last four weeks with carbs back in the diet with AP and recreate.
Losing fat really is not that difficult, it only takes commitment, everyone should be able to get down to a healthy 15-17 %. It's fat loss beyond this point that gets difficult, don't get me wrong you can get as lean as you want without supps but how much muscle are you willing to spend this is what you should be looking for in a fat burner, how much muscle does it allow you to keep.

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
fair enough, like I said, I do agree with your points :p
Yah I know were just discussing alternative points of view that's what were about here. Your input allowed us to make things more clear, it's all good.

LatSpread

LatSpread

Awards
  • Established
Looks like you've already got a lot of great responses thus far, if I were you I would focus on a ketogenic diet and include only 5 supps: a multi-vitamin and mineral, a whey protein, RPN DCP, A cortsiol blocker such as lean xtreme and a stim based fat burner such as MAN Scorch.

That stack will adress fat burning via practically every pathway. I also find keto diets work great because you know exactly what to be eating... anything void of carbs, and you still get to eat delicious cuts of good meat, not to mention you don't have energy highs and lows like when carb cycling. IMO your mood will become even happier and more stable when your running on ketone bodies rather than glycogen. (and if your worried about your workout suffering, there are enough trace carbs in anything you'll eat, such as peanut butter, to fuel your workouts)