Backsquat gives me radiating pain in my arm

ben61820

Awards
hey SHR people, thought i'd seek the army for some tips and advice:
I do backsquats for 3 working sets of 5 reps each. Poundages are increasing no problems. Loving the results. Feel great, looking good, etc. I do have a problem though:
Increasingly after each working set I develop a progressively worsening pain down my left arm. It begins at about the shoulder area and radiates down to the midforearm/wrist area.
I often describe the discomfort as “hot.” Or kind of like an electrical stimulation. It is painful but its not straight pain. Hard to describe. I’ve googled it and indeed there seem to be many on Tnation forums and elsewhere who experience something similar. I do many stretches to perhaps alleviate it but it sure enough it always returns.
After the backsquats are done it slowly fades away. Within about 2 hours or so it is essentially gone. By the time I backsquat next I am always back at 100% but then of course it begins to set in with every session. Recently though the pain has lingered after my workout is fully done and even overnight while sleeping.
Anything you could recommend to alleviate this seemingly somewhat common problem? Thanks.

purebred

I think it'd help if you posted squats vids to assess your form and locate the problem but the pain/discomfort you're describing trends in folks who don't keep their wrists straight during squats.

Hustlers

Hustlers

Awards
  • Established
2 basic tid bits of informmation and some advice:

As someone whose body has been destroyed by 2 herniated discs in my lower back the pain sounds all too familiar.

1. The shoulder area has some of the worse circulation in comparison with the rest of the body. This is why most people, and especially those who sleep on their side, experience shoulder pains and discomfort while sleeping in early morning. The joint and nerves are easily pinched up. That being said your bar placement may be too high, too low. Try some different positions and hand placement as the person above said can cause different issues too. Wrists and knuckles should create a straight line. Some people who place their hands very wide on the bar (especially shorter guys) also tend to put the bar too high on their necks or they put pressure down on the bar in a way that causes the a lat flex and abducts the scapula....this allows the bar/weight to be displaced directly to the area surrounding the scapula and sometimes will pinch nerves....especially if you are not lucky enough to have thick lower traps.
2. If maing adjustments in bar and hand placement don't work t here's a good chance you have caused some strain or possibly a herniation in the cervical area. The nerves that are associated with c1-c8 if pinched by herniation or misalignment(which could be fixed with some chiropractic and physical therapy) could 100% cause the pains and burning sensations you're experiencing. SEE A DOCTOR ASAP. Don't let this go unchecked especially when you are lifting heavy. Request an MRI not just an XRAY. Start stretching your neck and traps everyday too. Swimming is one of the best natural rehabs for the whole body. If any of that hels the pain go away, and you would feel comfortable adding neck bridging into your program I suggest you do it to strengthen up.

I hope some of this helps and good luck.

ben61820

Awards
thanks for the advice

thanks so much for the advice. I do lowbar BS. so the bar is def on the lower traps. I get under the bar and my hands are out towards the weights, then i purposefully bring them in to the point where my index fingers are in the space between the knurling. I know im not being especially clear here. Sorry, hard to describe, yknow.
I am gonna use my iphone and take a vid and see if i can post a link on here. Thanks again, I appreciate it.

purebred

thanks so much for the advice. I do lowbar BS. so the bar is def on the lower traps. I get under the bar and my hands are out towards the weights, then i purposefully bring them in to the point where my index fingers are in the space between the knurling. I know im not being especially clear here. Sorry, hard to describe, yknow.
I am gonna use my iphone and take a vid and see if i can post a link on here. Thanks again, I appreciate it.
a vid is your best bet to make sure you're doing it as you describe. errors will be easier to spot w/a vid by the same talk. post it asap so we can nip it in the bud.

PeterRouse

Awards
a vid is your best bet to make sure you're doing it as you describe. errors will be easier to spot w/a vid by the same talk. post it asap so we can nip it in the bud.
Agreed. Post a video from two angles. Side and back.

Also post pictures of just your standing posture from front, side and back.