prohormones legal or illegal?

calidood

calidood

Awards
  • Established
I have been wondering lately about what the deal with prohormones is. I mean, from what it seems like they are still legal since we can buy them online everywhere. But if that's the case then why are the best of them discontinued? Why can't gaspari make halodrol-50? (And why did they have to change the formula from the original to the last formula of halodrol before it was completely discontinued?) Why can't AX make superdrol or pheraplex? And more importantly, why can other companies make near identical clones of these products which have been discontinued?

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
Both. Non-lawyers tend to think that laws are simple. They're not or you wouldn't have a class of professionals called lawyers who make a nice living interpreting them. The very abbreviated version is that some compounds are expressly illegal because they are mentioned in statutes. Others are probably illegal because they would be covered by steroid analog statutes. Others are illegal to sell because they are for all intents and purposes "misbranded drugs."

However, if a compound isn't listed in a statute, then it's not illegal until a court rules that it's illegal under some other law. When the govt. began warning companies that they would be prosecuted, those companies ceased production of the questionable items because they didn't want to take chances.

After govt. attention turned elsewhere, other companies who were willing to take chances started selling them again (mostly clones of older items). Just because they're doing it doesn't mean that they're not breaking the law.

calidood

calidood

Awards
  • Established
ahhh nice. So basically, the way it is made illegal is by product? There's a list, so to say, that says what's illegal so another company can come out with the same product. Since now instead of it being gaspari halodrol-50 its promagnon 25 by whoever makes promag. Since promag isn't on the list it can be produced. But when promag gets on the list, it will not be produced and someone else will make it? If this is the case, and it were me, I would just keep making new companies and selling the same stuff under a different name. And rake in the cash. Hahaha. But I guess if I thought of that they probably did too.

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
ahhh nice. So basically, the way it is made illegal is by product? There's a list, so to say, that says what's illegal so another company can come out with the same product. Since now instead of it being gaspari halodrol-50 its promagnon 25 by whoever makes promag. Since promag isn't on the list it can be produced. But when promag gets on the list, it will not be produced and someone else will make it? If this is the case, and it were me, I would just keep making new companies and selling the same stuff under a different name. And rake in the cash. Hahaha. But I guess if I thought of that they probably did too.
It doesn't work like that. There is a list (Anabolic Steroid Control Act) which has a long list a chemical names for various steroids. If it's on there, it's a crime to produce, distribute or import.

However, there is other language saying tat anything not specifically listed but which is an analog of the listed items is also illegal.

Many of the current products are not specifically listed. However, they are clearly analogs of those that are listed. Nonetheless, until a court rules that a specific substance is covered by the analog statute, then it is in a grey zone. Companies that want to make some cash and roll the dice on going to prison, can produce products and hope that the govt never catches on or that they can shut-down operations quickly once it does.

bigschmidt821

bigschmidt821

Oldtimer
Awards
  • Established
superdrol is illegal from my understanding after "they" sent a letter to AX

Mass_69

Mass_69

Awards
  • Established
superdrol is illegal from my understanding after "they" sent a letter to AX
It was prohibited for sale by the FDA, but is not a Class III Scheduled compound (which makes it a felony to possess) like many other androgens. They could charge someone with "selling an unapproved drug," but I don't know what kind of penalty that carries.

Mass_69

Mass_69

Awards
  • Established
It doesn't work like that. There is a list (Anabolic Steroid Control Act) which has a long list a chemical names for various steroids. If it's on there, it's a crime to produce, distribute or import.
I'm sure it's posted somewhere else on the forum (I think I've even posted it before):
Congress.org

Click on H.R.3866.RFS (#4) for the list. This was the final iteration of the bill before becoming law.

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
They got them on some other technicalities too about the label. They basically said that the label made the product illegal based on it's claims of anabolism (b/c that made it a drug).

Edit: Click here and read

Mass_69

Mass_69

Awards
  • Established
Heres another link for you guys,

Anabolic Steroid Control Act of 2004
T,

That link is actually to the first bill proposed (through the Senate). I believe it was the House bill HR.3866 that was actually signed into law. I don't know what the difference is between the 2... :think:

Funny thing is, and maybe I'm missing it, but I didn't see M4OHN (17a-methyl-4-hydroxy-estr-4-en-3-one) on either... :think:

Oh well, me going to gym now.

Mass_69

Mass_69

Awards
  • Established
If you look at my quote, you'll see that I was addressing bigschmidt.
I know. I thought I had already broke it down pretty well ;)

It was prohibited for sale by the FDA, but is not a Class III Scheduled compound (which makes it a felony to possess) like many other androgens. They could charge someone with "selling an unapproved drug," but I don't know what kind of penalty that carries.