Coffee drinkers currently taking SD, read up.

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
I just saw on CNN that researchers conducted a study that found a chemical in coffee that raises cholesterol. Not sure of where the study is obviously (because I saw it on TV) but if I find it I will post it up.

I know a lot of you use coffee as a caffeine source pre-workout.

Zero Tolerance

Awards
  • Established
Is it coffee in general? Meaning both caffeinated and decaffeinated?

Jeff

Awards
  • Established
good to know, given that I have about 8 cups a day and high cholesterol runs in my family

Magickk

Magickk

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
good to know, given that I have about 8 cups a day and high cholesterol runs in my family
LoL Sorry but that post made me laugh... The whole "Good to know" thing.. gah I'm loopy...

Rogue Drone

Awards
  • Established
Moderate to high Coffee use increases Homocysteine levels, which raises LDL.

I drink way too much coffee, so I compensate by taking a BAC purchased and self mixed combo of TMG (trimethylglycine) B6,B12 and Folic Acid . TMG is also a good liver protector and precursor to SAMe, the anti depressant chem.

"Researchers in Norway recently found that a combination of smoking and drinking coffee is a sure ticket to elevated homocysteine. It's not surprising that the statistics linking smoking to heart disease are similar to those linking high homocysteine levels to heart disease.

Based on the latest-available research from the lab of Dr. Craig Cooney, the basic homocysteine-lowering formula per day is: 1000 mg of TMG, 800 mcg folic acid, 500 mcg vitamin B12, and 50 mg vitamin B6. People with serious medical conditions can take up to 6 grams of TMG per day. No toxicity has been reported at this amount. TMG is a natural substance found abundantly in sugar beets. Homocysteine level should be monitored, and TMG dose adjusted accordingly. Vitamin B6 can be toxic in high doses. Problems have been reported at doses above 250 mg/day. Tingling, numbness and balance problems are signs of B6 toxicity. People taking L-dopa should not take supernutrients without first consulting with their physician.

Dr. Nicholas Dudman and his group of the University of New South Wales studied 10 people with homocystinuria (genetically-elevated homocysteine levels) who took TMG plus supernutrients vitamin B6 and folic acid for almost 13 years. They found that the TMG supernutrient combination kept homocysteine levels to one-fourth their pre-TMG level, with no negative side effects.

According to the researchers, "it was necessary to continue taking TMG (betaine) regularly to maintain maximum effects." Homocysteine levels would rise within days if people neglected to take the combination; but quickly decreased once the TMG was resumed. The study is particularly striking in that homocysteine levels naturally rise with age, but in the patients taking TMG, levels actually fell substantially, even though the participants were getting older.

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
Yeah there it is. Thanks, after seeing it on TV I couldn't find the damn article to post up ;).

Rogue Drone

Awards
  • Established
Yeah there it is. Thanks, after seeing it on TV I couldn't find the damn article to post up ;).
That's not the specific article you were refering to, that's a very old cut and paste note I had in my files that I collected when I first heard about The Homo Coffee Conspiracy. :twisted:

I'm not willing to give up my 12 cups a day or so, I would probably go catatonic without caffeine, so I mix a one gram TMG batch together to take about 3X a day.

FWIW, I also take Grapeseed Extract and L-Theanine to offset some of theother possible sides of Joe.

JeffGP

Awards
I saw that too..was also on MSNBC.

I quit coffee during my cycle though for that reason, and for pct. This is nothing new or out of the blue.

rrgg

rrgg

Awards
  • Established
Apparently it depends on how the coffee is made. I happen to use paper-filtered:

Drinking boiled or French press coffee increases cholesterol levels.76 Modern paper coffee filters trap the offending chemicals and keep them from entering the cup. Therefore, drinking paper-filtered coffee does not increase cholesterol levels.77 78 Espresso coffee has amounts of the offending chemicals midway between those of other unfiltered coffees and paper-filtered coffee,79 but there is little research investigating the effect of espresso on cholesterol levels, and studies to date have produced conflicting results.80 8182 The effects of decaffeinated coffee on cholesterol levels remain in debate.

76. Urgert R, Schulz AG, Katan MB. Effects of cafestol and kahweol from coffee grounds on serum lipids and serum liver enzymes in humans. Am J Clin Nutr 1995;61:149–54.

77. Superko HR, Bortz WM, Albers JJ, Wood PJ. Lipoprotein and apolipoprotein changes during a controlled trial of caffeinated and decaffeinated coffee drinking in men. Circulation 1989;80:II–86.

78. Nygärd O, Refsum H, Velanb PM, et al. Coffee consumption and plasma total homocysteine: the Hordaland Homocysteine Study. Am J Clin Nutr 1997;65:136–43.

79. Gross G, Jaccaud E, Huggett AC. Analysis of the content of the diterpenes cafestol and kahweol in coffee brews. Food Chem Toxicol 1997;35:547–54.

80. D’Amicis A, Scaccini C, Tomassi G, et al. Italian style brewed coffee: effect on serum cholesterol in young men. Int J Epidemiol 1996;25:513–20.

81. D’Avanzo B, Santoro L, Nobill A, La Vecchia C. Coffee consumption and serum cholesterol. GISSI-EFRIM Study Group. Prev Med 1993;22:219–24.

82. [No authors listed.] Regular or decaf? Coffee consumption and serum lipoproteins. Nutr Rev 1992;50:175–8 [review].

-2z-

Awards
  • Established
Therefore, drinking paper-filtered coffee does not increase cholesterol levels.
This made me shout in victory....lol. :lol:

Manwhore

Awards
Mercola.com ...
Coffee is usually not grown in the United States and we therefore have no control over how many pesticides are sprayed on coffee crops. As such, coffee is a heavily sprayed crop, so drinking coffee is likely to expose you to a dose of pesticides with each cup.

Pesticides have been associated with a number of health problems such as:

Manwhore

Awards
If you want caffeine. I say it's better to get it from another source ... MOST of your caffeine from another source ... here's more from Mercola .....

• Pregnant women (or those who are breastfeeding) should always avoid coffee. Research suggests that drinking more than 300 mg of coffee daily, or the equivalent of two to three 8-ounce cups, may increase the risk of miscarriage, birth defects such as cleft palate and low birth weight.
  • If you decide to use coffee, please make sure that it is organic. Coffee is one of the most heavily sprayed crops, so drinking organic coffee is a smart way to reduce your exposure to toxic herbicides, pesticides and fertilizers.
  • If you drink decaf, try to select brands that use the "Swiss Water Process" decaf. This patented method is the best choice, as most of the major brands are chemically decaffeinated, even if it says "naturally decaffeinated" right on the container.
  • Avoid sugar and milk. These are actually much worse for you than the coffee itself. Don't compound the detrimental health effects by adding milk or sugar to your coffee.
  • Only use unbleached filters. The other bright white ones, which most people use, are chlorine bleached and some of this chlorine will be extracted from the filter during the brewing process.