On cycle diet

UNDERTAKER

Awards
  • Established
How does this diet sound for a On cycle bulker? (generally speaking)

8:30am
Shake (6 whites, two yolks, 1 cup of milk, sugar-free tang to taste
100% whole wheat bagel

11:00
Prolab's lean mass matrix (a 40/40/20 mrp) w/ 2 1/2 cups of milk

1:30
2 chicken breast sandwiches on wheat w/ one piece of swiss on each

4:00
shake (1 scoop of ON's natural whey, 1 scoop of casien w/ pint of milk)
1/2 cup of oats

6:30
3/4 of a pound of baked fish (cod, hake or som with fish)
3/4 cup of brown rice with 2tbsp of olive oil

9:00
1 can of 99% lean turkey chilli (hormel)----30p, 60c, 3f
half a box of annie's all organic whole wheat pasta shells and cheese--15p 50c, and 10f

11:15
night time shake (3 scoop of MPI's Up Your Mass--another basic 40/40/20, 5 egg whites and two yolks w/ 2 cups of milk.

note: both mrp's consist of both fast and slow digesting protein and low gi carbs.

milwood

milwood

Awards
  • Established
good for bulk. Still might want to put some of those carbs in earlier in the day rather than so late. You're bulking, though, so I dunno. How many cals and P,C,F is that?

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
can we get a macros and total breakdown?

UNDERTAKER

Awards
  • Established
give or take....

375p
420c
85f

I wanted people to see the actual foods to see if the food themselves are good. If one only posts macros, someone could say there getying 400g of carbs each day but half of them could come from malto shakes and fruit. See what I am getting at? Is getting so much of my p and c from milk a good idea?

oldfart

oldfart

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
give or take....

375p
420c
85f
I can't see 420 carbs in that diet. I eat shitloads more carbs than you do and I struggle (mightily) to get to 350. I guess your nighttime MRP is friggin loaded with carbs. In that case milwood is right. You should shift more of those carbs to breakfast.

The only thing though that jumps out at me here is that you are not getting enough carbs for breakfast. I'd throw in at least a 1/2 cup of oats or some grits or something.

I'd be so empty at 11:00 that MRP would go right thru me.

UNDERTAKER

Awards
  • Established
skim milk has 12grams of carbs per cup, so that makes up a good amount of the carbs....

Carbs in the meals

8:30
bagel-50
milk-12

shake (powder barley brown rice and oats)-40
milk-32

wheat bread-60

oats-30

brown rice-45

chilli (pinto beans)-65
whole wheat pasta-45

milk-24

definitely over 400g of carbs

Cuffs

Cuffs

Awards
  • Established
Relying on too many shakes, imo. Real/whole food is the best route to take. I understand about time and all to get the food in, and shakes are an alternative, but shouldn't be a staple. Although, the type of carbs looks good.

Throw in some yams and maybe pasta to give yourself some variety. Also, don't forget the veggies (green and variety colors) and fruit. Try some avacado for some good fats as well.

oldfart

oldfart

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
skim milk has 12grams of carbs per cup, so that makes up a good amount of the carbs....

Carbs in the meals

8:30
bagel-50
milk-12

milk-32

wheat bread-60

oats-30

brown rice-45

chilli (pinto beans)-65
whole wheat pasta-45

milk-24

definitely over 400g of carbs
Yea. It definitely adds up. I guess I don't really count my milk carbs in my bulking diet. It's mainly sugar anyway. Certainly it would make a difference in a cutting diet.

Someone may differ with me but I don't trust bread as a carb source. Most of the breads out there are full of sugar (high fructose corn syrup) and the 100% whole wheat label is being abused by way too many bakeries. It really needs to be whole grain to be worth a damn anymore. I'd stick with oats/potatoes/rice.

On the protein side, number-wise you look good. But IMO you should go with more red meat for a bulker. If red meat is no no for you than disregard but I personally believe that is the way to go when bulking.

More veggies would be a plus too.

UNDERTAKER

Awards
  • Established
yea cuffs, I was waiting for someone to nail me on that one. With my job, I really have no other choice, those meals have to be quick. I figure its better than nothing though.

ryansm

ryansm

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Veggies like cuffs said, add some broc or something. That nightime shake is insane, how many cals is in that thing?

Add some fiber/carbs to breakfast, add broc to 1:30 meal, where are your pre/post workout meals??

ryansm

ryansm

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
You can fit it in if you pre-cook the stuff.

UNDERTAKER

Awards
  • Established
oldfart--
1. milk is a pretty damn low in gi if you look, so I would count it.
2. I agree that I need more good fats and veggies, I will add them.
3. Why red meat?

Ryasm---this was actually gonna be a non-training day. Obviously on training days I will adjust my carbs/fiber around my training which will take place in the morning around 10am. That night time shake doesnt have a much cal as my old one had, which had over 1000.

UNDERTAKER

Awards
  • Established
i know wheat breads and pasta have some fillers and ****, but I need some taste.

kwantam

the triumph of the grill
Awards
  • Established
FF or LF cottage cheese is another food to consider adding here. Great stuff.

-kwantam

ryanbodybuilder

Awards
  • Established
it looks good...but yea at nighttime just have cottage chesse an hour or 2 after dinner, then right before bed a nighttime shake.....you should have about 80g of complex carbs or more at breakfast or at least before 10am

oldfart

oldfart

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
oldfart--
1. milk is a pretty damn low in gi if you look, so I would count it.
2. I agree that I need more good fats and veggies, I will add them.
3. Why red meat?
Sure. Nothing wrong with milk carbs. My only point is that your muscle building carbs are going to be from sources like rice/yams/oats. Which you are getting, I just feel not enough.

I think if you polled every pro bodybuilder you'd get a pretty good consensus opinion that beef is their protein staple offseason. Yes, there are higher BV sources than beef, but the prevailing theory is that beef packs it on better than anything else. Why? I think it has to do with protein quality, density, and all of the complimentary nutrients inside.

Cuffs

Cuffs

Awards
  • Established
Wheat bagels are a good carb choice for on-the-go. I like taking turkey slices and packing it on a toasted bagel. You can even add some non-fat cream cheese to it if you like. Also, try to bbq up some chicken breasts at the beginning of the week to take along and chomp on the go.

Cuffs

Cuffs

Awards
  • Established
Also, bump to what oldfart is saying. There are plenty of lean cuts of red meat. Like the old school saying "beef and taters" to bulk up on. Try some steamed red poataoes with some non-fat butter spray and Mrs. Dash and pepper. :thumbsup:

UNDERTAKER

Awards
  • Established
why isnt milk a muscle building carb? red meat and tatters? Yes sir!!!!!

oldfart

oldfart

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
why isnt milk a muscle building carb? red meat and tatters? Yes sir!!!!!
It is. It's just you'd have to drink an awful lot of milk to get a decent amount of carbs.

Also, keep in mind that although the carbs in milk are from lactose (which is low GI), it does spike insulin pretty fierce. So plan on insulin spike whenever you drink it.

UNDERTAKER

Awards
  • Established
how can it be a low gi and spike insulin? Is milk still a good idea then?

oldfart

oldfart

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
how can it be a low gi and spike insulin? Is milk still a good idea then?
Not sure why but suffice to say it does. Having said that milk is an awesome protein source no doubt.

But I just wouldn't drink too much when you don't want an insulin spike such as bedtime.

I hope you don't think I'm being a hard ass here bro. I like your diet as a whole. I think you eat quite clean and that's admirable.

There are many who praise milk and all its benefits. I just feel its more of a quality protein source than carbs that's all.

UNDERTAKER

Awards
  • Established
no no dude, I dont think your being an ass at all. Your all being a big help. The reason I posted it is cuz I want it to be better. My normal diet looks a lot like this one. I have never used aas, but if or when I choose too, I want my diet/training and cycle to be the best it can. I am not even thinking about starting a cycle until/unless I have ALL the info.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

I am faster than 80% of all snakes
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
no no dude, I dont think your being an ass at all. Your all being a big help. The reason I posted it is cuz I want it to be better. My normal diet looks a lot like this one. I have never used aas, but if or when I choose too, I want my diet/training and cycle to be the best it can. I am not even thinking about starting a cycle until/unless I have ALL the info.

Milk is an absolute GREAT sources of carbs and protein. I use it along with many of my clients in both bulking and cutting.

Now after saying that you don't have nearly enough whole foods and way too many shakes.

You also need to adjust calories for specific days and the muscle trained. Having a plan that just have workout and days and non workout days ins't enough.

UNDERTAKER

Awards
  • Established
Bobo----can you be a little more specific about....

1. what whole food you are talking about?

2. "need to adjust calories for specific days and the muscle trained' an example or further info on this.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
The ones you don't have in your diet. You have to many liquid meals.

Add more of these:

not these

night time shake (3 scoop of MPI's Up Your Mass--another basic 40/40/20, 5 egg whites and two yolks w/ 2 cups of milk.

4 out of 7 of your meals are liquid.

UNDERTAKER

Awards
  • Established
yea, I knew people would nail me on that, I drink them out of convenince, what about the second thing.....eating for specific training days.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Would you consume more calories on leg day than arm day? Not that tough to figure out :)

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
Sure. Nothing wrong with milk carbs. My only point is that your muscle building carbs are going to be from sources like rice/yams/oats. Which you are getting, I just feel not enough.
Milk will pack it on man...

I think if you polled every pro bodybuilder you'd get a pretty good consensus opinion that beef is their protein staple offseason. Yes, there are higher BV sources than beef, but the prevailing theory is that beef packs it on better than anything else. Why? I think it has to do with protein quality, density, and all of the complimentary nutrients inside.
Yes, lean red meat is awesome. It's full of zinc, vitamin B12, selenium and heme iron. I don't trust vitamin pills much at all, food sources are way better...

Just avoid high animal fat content. Lots of nasty fat soluble stuff gets tucked away in the animal's fat (including some ugly aromatic organic chemicals) and if you eat animal fat you are getting a concentrated source of that.

milwood

milwood

Awards
  • Established
Milk will pack it on man...

Yes, lean red meat is awesome. It's full of zinc, vitamin B12, selenium and heme iron. I don't trust vitamin pills much at all, food sources are way better...

Just avoid high animal fat content. Lots of nasty fat soluble stuff gets tucked away in the animal's fat (including some ugly aromatic organic chemicals) and if you eat animal fat you are getting a concentrated source of that.
...and you might end up with a "manly" 39" waist!

(just kidding, ex-man! I'm just jealous 'cause I'll never be a powerlifter....)

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
Haha, fucker, wait till I get around to posting new pics :D

oldfart

oldfart

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Milk is an absolute GREAT sources of carbs and protein. I use it along with many of my clients in both bulking and cutting.

Now after saying that you don't have nearly enough whole foods and way too many shakes.

You also need to adjust calories for specific days and the muscle trained. Having a plan that just have workout and days and non workout days ins't enough.
I stand corrected.

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
The ones you don't have in your diet. You have to many liquid meals.

Add more of these:

not these

4 out of 7 of your meals are liquid.
Would you say its frequency of whole food sources, or percentage which is "more" important?

I understand you need a healthy balance of both. But, I ask because I have a small appetite when it comes to food that is less than "gourmet" (LOL--gimme gourmet and I'll eat a cow). So, what I'll do is, if I'm aiming for a 60g protein meal, i may have 25-40g from whole foods and then dump a bunch of whey on top of it for kicks in a shake of an oats / whey / milk.

If you can get around to this, thanks in advance!

Last edited:
exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
Work on learning to make healthy meals that taste good and your diet will mostly fall into line :) Don't know why a lot of bodybuilders like to eat the most boring vile **** (not to mention they eat that same **** every day).

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
Eh, I'm making progress on the cooking. however, i still can't make anything taste good without smothering it in OO (which probably isn't the best idea :D). But, its getting better...Honestly, i've got a horrible sweet tooth and even while not consuming sweets, anything but tastes like royal ass and takes forever for me to eat. I.E. it takes me approx 30-40 minutes to finish a 6-8oz chicken breast. I'm not kidding!

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
Lookks like it tastes pretty good, but it doesn't look like much food :think: What's the cal and macro breakdown there, bud?

Magickk

Magickk

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Throw in some brocolli and cheese in there with the chicken breast at lunchtime... here's the breakdown...

With the oatmeal 3 servings / day, 1 banana, 2 slices 100% Whole Wheat bread, 1 cup brocolli, 2 chicken breasts, 8 oz. extra lean ground beef cooked, 2 whey shakes w/ 8 oz. 1% chocolate milk apiece and some cottage cheese I'm sitting at 2500 calories, 43P 39C 18F. That's not including any lettuce, tomatoes, or dressing I'd eat if I made 1 serving of the chicken into a salad, or natty PB with a slice of bread I might eat...