Ibuprofen and elevated liver enzymes

Indigo6

Awards
Just had blood work done after a 4-AD cycle. Cycle consisted of 100 mg/day trandermal (I'm female) for eight weeks. Blood was drawn four weeks after the end of the cycle:

AST 93
ALT 173

Cholesterol 214
HDL 74
LDL 131

Now, obviously I'm concerned, but there are some mitigating factors that muddy the waters. First of all, in order to try to keep the gains I made while on cycle, I went into eating overdrive when off cycle. I ate a high protein/high fat diet for three weeks. I was eating steak and eggs for breakfast several times a week. I was eating a lot of whole eggs. This could account for the high cholesterol. Combine this with the fact that during the last week of my cycle I injured my shoulder and was taking copious amounts of Ibuprofen - 600mg every four hours for at least a week and then tapered off to every eight hours. I also took Tylenol.
So I am wondering if the high liver function values are truly from the 4-AD or are they the result of taxing my liver with a high fat diet and taking OTC pain killers.
Note: prior to this cycle my ALT was 53 (taken mid cycle 19-nor and 1,4-Andro). I've already made an appoinment for a follow-up.
Any coments?

Indigo6

Awards
Come on guys. No one has any comments? I mean aside from the usual "women should not use prohormones" rants.

Boss_K

Awards
  • Established
The only comment I have for you is that you can rule out the foods you've been eating. Dietary cholesterol has no impact on cholesterol levels. I have not read anything about 4ad raising liver enzymes, but this of course does not mean it could not happen. My guess would be that its form all the ibueprofin you've been taking (waaay more than I ever take, and I'm a big boy)....I agree with everything SMA said and would just steer clear of any pills for now, period.

Indigo6

Awards
The only comment I have for you is that you can rule out the foods you've been eating. Dietary cholesterol has no impact on cholesterol levels. I have not read anything about 4ad raising liver enzymes, but this of course does not mean it could not happen. My guess would be that its form all the ibueprofin you've been taking (waaay more than I ever take, and I'm a big boy)....I agree with everything SMA said and would just steer clear of any pills for now, period.
I tend to agree with you about the dietary cholesterol, but I was really pigging it up pretty good. I wondered if it would turn out to be high. I'm usually under 190, but the elevated level could be the result of the 4-AD. We'll see.
I'm going to stay off all OTC meds, eat cleaner and get retested in a month.

shyboy

Awards
Odds are its the ibuprofen. I did the same thing. I have a torn rototor cuff
& was taking prescription anti-inflamatories up the day before bloodwork.
My liver values were in the 400 range(about 10x the max range limit). My doc
freaked out. I went off everything (alcohol, ibuprofen, even sinus meds)
for a month & everything was back to normal. The anti-inflam meds
can cause a short term spike in ast/alt levels. Just my 2 cents.

Redeemer

Awards
I recently read a study (nope don't have a link) that says combining other analgesics with acetomenophin is very bad for the liver. If you have to take something, stick with enteric coated aspirin and nothing else. Either that or get some demarol from your doc. Waaaay safer than otc crapola as long as you do not become addicted.

UNDERTAKER

Awards
  • Established
my docotor once told me after seeing elevated liver and kidney values in my bloodwook
that acetaphetwhatever is hard on the liver and ibprofen is hard on the kidneys. However he is an md and we all know how idiotic they can be.

dmxinc

Awards
my docotor once told me after seeing elevated liver and kidney values in my bloodwook
that acetaphetwhatever is hard on the liver and ibprofen is hard on the kidneys. However he is an md and we all know how idiotic they can be.
Just to back this a bit, I recently had hernia surgery and was taking Acetominephin between Ibuprofin days. About a week after surgery, I had boodwork done. My liver count was also up, the doctor said it was most likely due to the Acetominephin.

Indigo6

Awards
Just to back this a bit, I recently had hernia surgery and was taking Acetominephin between Ibuprofin days. About a week after surgery, I had boodwork done. My liver count was also up, the doctor said it was most likely due to the Acetominephin.
Thanks guys. I didn't think it could be the 4-AD since I took such a low dosage and it was a transdermal. But I'm not going to tell my doctor because he will immediately blame that instead of the ibuprofen. I'll just keep an eye on it. I get tested every six months.

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
pound down Milk Thistle - a gram a day, spread out of course.
the 4-ad didn't raise liver values, highly unlikily.